urms and the december lsat

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
DavidYurman85
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am

urms and the december lsat

Postby DavidYurman85 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:47 pm

i'm taking the dec test. i had to opt out of the october one because of a pretty cool job opportunity.

should i postpone my application to next cycle? fwiw- all other materials will be in, so i'll only have to click submit when i receive my dec score.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: urms and the december lsat

Postby EbonyEsq » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Hey! :)

I think it depends on your goals/timeline. If you started a new job and want to wet your feet some before going to LS, I would sit the December and apply for next year's admission cycle. If you see yourself starting law school next year, then apply this cycle.

Honestly though, the best time to apply is way before Thanksgiving (September) to optimize your chances of being admitted and getting financial aid. It will also give you an extra year to boost your resume with the work experience.

If I was you I would wait to apply next year, but, its totally up to you. Just kill those December LSATs. :wink:

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: urms and the december lsat

Postby LLB2JD » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:16 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:Hey! :)

I think it depends on your goals/timeline. If you started a new job and want to wet your feet some before going to LS, I would sit the December and apply for next year's admission cycle. If you see yourself starting law school next year, then apply this cycle.

Honestly though, the best time to apply is way before Thanksgiving (September) to optimize your chances of being admitted and getting financial aid. It will also give you an extra year to boost your resume with the work experience.

If I was you I would wait to apply next year, but, its totally up to you. Just kill those December LSATs. :wink:


:?

October?

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: urms and the december lsat

Postby EbonyEsq » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:20 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:Hey! :)

I think it depends on your goals/timeline. If you started a new job and want to wet your feet some before going to LS, I would sit the December and apply for next year's admission cycle. If you see yourself starting law school next year, then apply this cycle.

Honestly though, the best time to apply is way before Thanksgiving (September) to optimize your chances of being admitted and getting financial aid. It will also give you an extra year to boost your resume with the work experience.

If I was you I would wait to apply next year, but, its totally up to you. Just kill those December LSATs. :wink:


:?

October?



??? What about October?

I was referencing any admission cycle. I know law schools begin accepting apps in September. She can sit the December exam and wait to apply the following September 2011 to optimize her chances.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: urms and the december lsat

Postby merichard87 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:23 pm

I think the best time is anywhere betweeen September and mid November.And sitting out a year depends on you. Are you applying to a lot of reach schools? If so, you might want to apply early to give yourself better chances. But if you have the money and could keep that job for an extra year just in case I don't see a problem with applying this cycle.

User avatar
r2b2ct
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: urms and the december lsat

Postby r2b2ct » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:53 pm

merichard87 wrote:I think the best time is anywhere betweeen September and mid November.And sitting out a year depends on you. Are you applying to a lot of reach schools? If so, you might want to apply early to give yourself better chances. But if you have the money and could keep that job for an extra year just in case I don't see a problem with applying this cycle.

+1

Plan for both and you might get surprised this cycle. (assuming the cost is ok)

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: urms and the december lsat

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:20 pm

Wait.. what kind of job opportunity prevents you from taking the LSAT?? They even offer the LSAT overseas in many places.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: urms and the december lsat

Postby 20121109 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:23 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Wait.. what kind of job opportunity prevents you from taking the LSAT?? They even offer the LSAT overseas in many places.


Maybe her job limits the amount of hours she can study for it...therefore she needs to give herself an extended timeline i.e. December?

User avatar
DavidYurman85
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am

Re: urms and the december lsat

Postby DavidYurman85 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:49 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Wait.. what kind of job opportunity prevents you from taking the LSAT?? They even offer the LSAT overseas in many places.


Maybe her job limits the amount of hours she can study for it...therefore she needs to give herself an extended timeline i.e. December?


This is actually correct. My fellowship is stateside but the hours are demanding and I don't have much time to study. I'm just wondering if the disadvantage of applying in dec. is great enough to postpone my cycle another year?

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: urms and the december lsat

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:55 pm

DavidYurman85 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Wait.. what kind of job opportunity prevents you from taking the LSAT?? They even offer the LSAT overseas in many places.


Maybe her job limits the amount of hours she can study for it...therefore she needs to give herself an extended timeline i.e. December?


This is actually correct. My fellowship is stateside but the hours are demanding and I don't have much time to study. I'm just wondering if the disadvantage of applying in dec. is great enough to postpone my cycle another year?


Are you sure you arent overestimating the time studying for the LSAT requires?? Despite what you might read on here, 15-20 hrs a week for 2-3 months should make you very well prepared. Thats an average of about 2-3 hours a day. If you have already studied some you could very well be prepared for october.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: musiclover123 and 4 guests