AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks!
Last edited by EbonyEsq on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby Fresh » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:15 am

It's always hard to predict things like this, but I would imagine you need a minimum of 167 to give u any shot at the top 5, but if you got a 170+ it would really help you out.

These, as all others, are just guesses and it's impossible to know anything for sure. The solution is to aim for your best score possible.

Have you considered Northwestern?
And have you considered ED to Columbia?

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:22 am

Fresh wrote:It's always hard to predict things like this, but I would imagine you need a minimum of 167 to give u any shot at the top 5, but if you got a 170+ it would really help you out.

These, as all others, are just guesses and it's impossible to know anything for sure. The solution is to aim for your best score possible.

Have you considered Northwestern?
And have you considered ED to Columbia?


Thanks, Fresh. Yes, I will be applying to all T14s, and no ED because I do not want to lock myself into a school that may very well not offer me the best financial aid package. :wink:

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby SwollenMonkey » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:42 pm

Your screen name is so sexy.

Oh yeah, try to hit 170+ to be on the safe side. :wink:

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:48 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:Your screen name is so sexy.

Oh yeah, try to hit 170+ to be on the safe side. :wink:


I'll certainly try and thank you. :lol:

User avatar
Sh@keNb@ke
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:34 am

You never know that you're gunna get. Keep studying for the LSAT and do as well as you can.

On LSN for the 2008-2009 cycle it shows 3 AA's getting into Columbia with similar stats.

Stats: 3.4/158
3.45/160
3.39/163

You have hope! Don't let these LSAT scores on the lower end fool you though, they probably had great softs. Good luck with your studying!

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby EbonyEsq » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:34 am

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:You never know that you're gunna get. Keep studying for the LSAT and do as well as you can.

On LSN for the 2008-2009 cycle it shows 3 AA's getting into Columbia with similar stats.

Stats: 3.4/158
3.45/160
3.39/163

You have hope! Don't let these LSAT scores on the lower end fool you though, they probably had great softs. Good luck with your studying!


What's considered GREAT softs? I mean, I know I'm no Nobel Peace Prize winner :lol: but I think my softs are pretty solid. That said, I do not want them to have to rely on my softs to make a firm decision.

Thanks for your well wishes. I'm breaking major bank trying to optimize my chances of scoring well. :cry:

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby Helicio » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:13 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:You never know that you're gunna get. Keep studying for the LSAT and do as well as you can.

On LSN for the 2008-2009 cycle it shows 3 AA's getting into Columbia with similar stats.

Stats: 3.4/158
3.45/160
3.39/163

You have hope! Don't let these LSAT scores on the lower end fool you though, they probably had great softs. Good luck with your studying!


Being URM helps THAT much? Dang. Being an extremely poor white dude with no legacy whatsoever, this is discouraging.

:(

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby LAWLAW09 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:31 pm

Helicio wrote:
Sh@keNb@ke wrote:You never know that you're gunna get. Keep studying for the LSAT and do as well as you can.

On LSN for the 2008-2009 cycle it shows 3 AA's getting into Columbia with similar stats.

Stats: 3.4/158
3.45/160
3.39/163

You have hope! Don't let these LSAT scores on the lower end fool you though, they probably had great softs. Good luck with your studying!


Being URM helps THAT much? Dang. Being an extremely poor white dude with no legacy whatsoever, this is discouraging.

:(







The line that allows one to go from being a white person to being an AA is that way ---->


The line is empty.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby Helicio » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:23 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:
Helicio wrote:
Sh@keNb@ke wrote:You never know that you're gunna get. Keep studying for the LSAT and do as well as you can.

On LSN for the 2008-2009 cycle it shows 3 AA's getting into Columbia with similar stats.

Stats: 3.4/158
3.45/160
3.39/163

You have hope! Don't let these LSAT scores on the lower end fool you though, they probably had great softs. Good luck with your studying!


Being URM helps THAT much? Dang. Being an extremely poor white dude with no legacy whatsoever, this is discouraging.

:(







The line that allows one to go from being a white person to being an AA is that way ---->


The line is empty.


Edited to not start an argument.

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby LAWLAW09 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Helicio wrote:
Edited to not start an argument.




Collectively we have 140 posts. If there was to be an "argument," based on our post history, it wouldn't have been long. You didn't post what you sent me in my inbox b/c you probably sensed I was going to embarrass you and your argument.


The line is still empty.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:04 pm

:lol:

By the LAWLAW, done with your PS? How is it coming?

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby LAWLAW09 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:25 pm

wassup LL


Outside a few grammatical edits and maybe a last minute change , all my standard essays (ps, ds,...) are finished.

I'll continue to look at them though until my apps are submitted.


I think you're studying for Oct. Aim high and good luck.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Yes I am studying to take the exam in Oct. I feel like I've hit the proverbial wall, so i am taking this weekend off. Although I've improved significantly, I cant wait for this madness to be over. It is very mentally draining.

Thanks

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby Helicio » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:16 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:
Helicio wrote:
Edited to not start an argument.




Collectively we have 140 posts. If there was to be an "argument," based on our post history, it wouldn't have been long. You didn't post what you sent me in my inbox b/c you probably sensed I was going to embarrass you and your argument.


The line is still empty.


LOL. I didn't post it out of respect for the original poster. If you can refute my argument, then reply to me like a mature person.

And I'd take the line any day. I'm poorer than dirt, half my extended family has been murdered in war, and I get no advantages whatsoever because I have too little melanin in my skin. Race does not determine the amount of suffering people go through; there are more nations on this earth than just the USA. If I could be elgible for some scholarships, affirmative action, or federal assistance, it would help me greatly. Unfortunately, being a poor white dude from another country who has lived through war doesn't qualify you to benefit for your suffering somehow.

I know way more about suffering than you do. I lived through it; your grandpa has told you stories about it.

Meh.

I'm sure "whitey" has called you names. Try having someone call you names while trying to blow your head off.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby Helicio » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:18 pm

Here is the message I sent you in your inbox, put in public, since you seem so eager to argue...I took it out since I didn't want to hijack her thread. If you reply to me, I'll PM you a response, so that we don't bring it more off-topic. Also, I've just read that we aren't supposed to be arguing about AA in these forums. The only reason I'm putting my response back in is because you insulted me.

LAWLAW09 wrote:
Helicio wrote:
Sh@keNb@ke wrote:You never know that you're gunna get. Keep studying for the LSAT and do as well as you can.

On LSN for the 2008-2009 cycle it shows 3 AA's getting into Columbia with similar stats.

Stats: 3.4/158
3.45/160
3.39/163

You have hope! Don't let these LSAT scores on the lower end fool you though, they probably had great softs. Good luck with your studying!


Being URM helps THAT much? Dang. Being an extremely poor white dude with no legacy whatsoever, this is discouraging.

:(







The line that allows one to go from being a white person to being an AA is that way ---->


The line is empty.




I was just expressing surprise, no need to get angry. I’m not from the US originally, so I guess I forgot how obsessed some people are with race in this nation. Sheesh.

And I would be AA in a heartbeat; I’m already poor as shit. Why not get some of the advantages that come along with that? I’m from a country where my whole family was torn apart by a bomb. Where my home was shattered. Where I’ve had to dig and scrape and claw at anything and everything I’ve ever encountered to rise up. One of my family members is missing two of his limbs because someone thought he deserved it due to his religion. My grandfather DID die.

Please don’t act like I don’t know about being oppressed. I know you see the world through your extremely limited and narrow American race-based viewpoint, but that view is not valid or encompassing. I for one see no reason why some of my AA friends, or Hispanic friends, or wtvr, should get an advantage over me even when they are much richer (they all are) or have not experienced nearly as much oppression. To think that oppression and prejudice and suffering is limited to such a small population (URMs in the USA) is misleading and shortsighted.

I look for scholarships. I see all these black scholarships, Hispanic schollies, etc. None for me. I see affirmative action programs that don’t apply to me, etc. I’m not going to blame myself if I get at least a little discouraged. Besides, I think Affirmative Action is fine, but I think it should be socioeconomic based, rather than just race-based. There was a Princeton study that said poor whites like me have it the hardest when it comes to applying to college; I agree.

P.S.—I sympathize with American minorities, I really do. I just wish the economic circumstances of people and their real-life experiences were taken into account in admissions rather than just the color of their skin. America's race-obsession absolutely sucks.

:(

Edit: We are NOT supposed to debate this stuff in this subsection, I think. So if you post a reply, I'll just PM you so that we don't hijack her thread anymore. :)

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby LAWLAW09 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:13 am

A few more posts and I'll have you jumping through hoops...




My original initial response to your comment:

The line that allows one to go from being a white person to being an AA is that way ---->


The line is empty.





Helicio wrote:I was just expressing surprise, no need to get angry. I’m not from the US originally, so I guess I forgot how obsessed some people are with race in this nation. Sheesh.


Nothing in my original post suggests that I was angry. Neither is there anything in it to suggest I'm obsessed with race. If an obsession with race was determined by a word count, your long ass response to the 23 words that I wrote doesn't make you consistent.


Helicio wrote:And I would be AA in a heartbeat; I’m already poor as shit.



Why are you linking being AA to being poor? Implying that you being an AA is more acceptable in your eyes b/c you're already poor, makes you ignorant and racist. "I wouldn't mind being AA b/c my life is already fucked up" is a terrible way to start attack ppl for their feelings on race.


Helicio wrote:I’m not from the US originally...Why not get some of the advantages that come along with [being AA]



I question whether you even live here. Affirmative action is a response to institutional and cultural disadvantages. "I want to become an AA so I can possibly have something other than my LSAT and GPA considered as a law applicant" as an argument does not make you look good or intelligent.
Since you're convinced being AA has so many advantages, be a "responsible" future father and have children with an African American woman. Watch the advantages fall on your lap.



Helicio wrote: I’m from a country where my whole family was torn apart by a bomb. Where my home was shattered. Where I’ve had to dig and scrape and claw at anything and everything I’ve ever encountered to rise up. One of my family members is missing two of his limbs because someone thought he deserved it due to his religion. My grandfather DID die.

Please don’t act like I don’t know about being oppressed.



Read my original response. I said nothing about you not knowing about oppression. You are literally responding to comments that I never made. God forbid a cancer patient starts talking about their life around you, you might go into a rant about them not knowing how hard it is for a person to live with HIV. Stay on topic.


Helicio wrote:I know you see the world through your extremely limited and narrow American race-based viewpoint, but that view is not valid or encompassing.



You know this how? Because you think I''m AA or "American?" We are all finding out how much you don't know. I gave you no "view" for you to claim as invalid. Stop making stuff up.


Helicio wrote: I for one see no reason why some of my AA friends, or Hispanic friends, or wtvr, should get an advantage over me even when they are much richer (they all are) or have not experienced nearly as much oppression. To think that oppression and prejudice and suffering is limited to such a small population (URMs in the USA) is misleading and shortsighted.



Smh. You lack a fundamental understanding of why AAs and Hispanics are evaluated on factors that aren't restricted to their LSAT score or GPA. You are ignorant and that is why it will continue to not make sense to you. Again, you're doing a lot of talking about stuff that has nothing to do with what I said. But, since you're so interested in fairness, I'll come back to this complaint that you have about some of your AA and Hispanic friends.


Helicio wrote: There was a Princeton study that said poor whites like me have it the hardest when it comes to applying to college; I agree.



Post your study because what you "agree" with means nothing to everyone reading this conversation. Since you mentioned studies:



Jury Selection:

"Blacks are systematically excluded from participating in the judicial system as jurors in cases that involve a Black defendant"


http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/8102727/




Housing:

"Even when income and credit risk are equal, African Americans are up to 34 percent more likely to receive higher‐rate and subprime loans with a prepayment penalty than are their similarly situated white counterparts."

"These practices have placed at least one million African Americans and other people of color at great risk of loss of wealth—an estimated loss of at least $164 billion."


--LinkRemoved-- ... _FINAL.pdf


Employment:



"Black job applicants without criminal records are equally likely to be hired as their white counterparts who have served time in prison, according to a recent Princeton University study."


--LinkRemoved-- ... ring_bias/

--LinkRemoved-- ... stern1.pdf



"Professors reported children with "black-sounding" names such as Lakisha and Jamal are 50 percent less likely to receive a call back for a job interview compared to "white-sounding" names such as Emily or Greg."



--LinkRemoved-- ... tml?hpt=C2

--LinkRemoved-- ... NATION.pdf



Criminal Sentencing (same results are found in conviction rates):



"Black and Hispanic men are more likely to receive longer prison sentences than their white counterparts since the Supreme Court loosened federal sentencing rules"



--LinkRemoved-- ... ncing.html

--LinkRemoved-- ... port_1.pdf



I'm White and disadvantaged b/c I'm white is an interesting argument, especially since I said nothing about you not experiencing an disadvantages.


Helicio wrote:I sympathize with American minorities, I really do. I just wish the economic circumstances of people and their real-life experiences were taken into account in admissions rather than just the color of their skin. America's race-obsession absolutely sucks.




Keep your sympathy. It's not wanted and there's no reason to think it's helpful. No law school accepts a student just off of the color of his or her skin. You're wishing against something that doesn't happen. Tim Wise would describe your behavior as "White Fright."


Since you felt the need to post a "woe-is-me-i'm-white" post, here's what you can do. Your ignorance and anger after all is about a lack of fairness in the process. Instead of getting upset with your Black and Hispanic friends that are getting into schools that you won't, go talk to your non-URM friends.

URMs get a "boost" b/c a lack of represention in law schools is detrimental to the field of law and the notion of justice and fairness that our legal system claims to be built on. If whites and other non-urms represented groups of people equally, without showing bias to those that look like them, there would be no need for a "urm boost" because a lack of minorities in law school wouldn't be a problem. If more whites and non-urms were willing to fight for the truth (not just their interest or their biases) and justice for people that can't afford their services, the need for urm boost would decrease.

You are a clown. Not a unique clown, but still a clown. If you don't like URM "boosts", take your complaints to the groups of people that CREATE the need for them year after year after year. The need for URM boosts did not start with URMs and its need in law school admissions doesn't continue b/c of URMs.



--The Black guy that's gonna get into school just b/c he's Black

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby kazu » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:19 am

Oh dear. This got ugly really fast... looks around for the mods

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: AA Female with LSAT Inquiry

Postby LLB2JD » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:25 am

kazu wrote:Oh dear. This got ugly really fast... looks around for the mods



Mehh..It isn't ugly to the point where the mods need to do anything.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest