What is a diversity statement and would I be writing one?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Helicio

What is a diversity statement and would I be writing one?

Postby Helicio » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi guys,

My parents are both from Lebanon. Race-wise, I don't really know what I am since my mom looks white and my dad could probably be considered Arab. I was wondering if that means I will be writing a "diversity statement." (do we have to write them or no? confused on that too)

I've seen people talking about this statement and was wondering what it was, so I thought I'd go ahead and ask. I searched but I couldn't fine anyone say what it was because, well, it seems like most people already know.

I'm an undergrad. sophomore, so I have a ways to go before Law School.

Thanks.

:)

Xnegd

Re: What is a diversity statement and would I be writing one?

Postby Xnegd » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

It's an optional essay some people include to some schools with their application as a way to stress their individual diversity in hopes of making themselves stand out as an applicant.

It's just another tool some people can use to make themselves presentable; however, if you write it and aren't really diverse or write well I image it can come across as disingenuous and bite you in the ass. It doesn't necessarily apply to race and can be about life style or circumstance. e.g. political, economic, etc.

Some schools are big on diversity (USC & Indiana) - so this is a way to give them what they want.

edit: For example, my friend was raised in Iran and had a great Diversity statement regarding how he got beat up at school every day for crying during the "Death to America" chants, and how he kept moving around and experiencing new things while trying to get away from being surrounded by hate. He got into Berkeley with a 3.2 & mid-16X. If you pull it off, it opens doors.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:44 pm

If you're a sophomore, don't worry too much about statements and what not just yet. It's possibly the best material for a statement hasn't even happened yet! Keep that GPA up and study well for the LSAT.

But, you probably didn't want unsolicited advice. To answer your question, a diversity statement is an optional essay written to show how you will add "diversity" to a class. Being "diverse" isn't only racial- people write them for unusual life experiences (living abroad your whole childhood), being gay, being various shades of the rainbow, being an older applicant, growing up poor, just about anything.

This is different than being a URM (under represented minority)- a group of people that seem to get a slight boost. I think this is mostly African-Americans, Native Americans, Mexicans, and Puerto Ricans. That's not an official list, just one from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35568

Hope that helps, and enjoy college!

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:48 pm

Xnegd wrote:He got into Berkeley with a 3.2 & mid-16X.

Results not typical.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:59 pm

Sweet thanks guys. So far I have a good GPA (3.887) but college is no cakewalk.

I've had some really unique experiences being a Christian Lebanese-American and witnessing some of the violence over there during a war so I definitely might write one, though obviously I'm not too worried about the statement now.

Best wishes to you all!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”