How under represented am i?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
TommyK

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby TommyK » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:49 am

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:Hmm, notice how I did say "I could be wrong about those oddities."

To answer your question, I have stepped foot in a research I institution (happened to attend one for UG), and I do see your point. However, I wouldn't go as far as to say that "foreign-born" automatically signifies inability to conjugate English verbs. That's quite the unfair assumption.

Good call. To be fair, I didn't say that foreign-born automatically signifies an inability to conjugate English verbs. And it would be an unfair assumption, if I had made it. But I realize that what I hastily had written could be interpreted that way. Allow me to rephrase: From my experience in career services at a large university, a large portion of the masters/ Ph.D. students in the hard sciences / mathematics are foreign-born students who have sub-fluent English skills, including inability to conjugate irregular verbs at a high success rate.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:50 am

eastwind wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
But the "plan to take control" could only mean "taking control of the exam at the exam time, and place". Any time, and place before the exam is not the lsat, but the prep for the lsat. It does not make sense to take control over the prep lsat, since you have full control, anyways.

What? Ok, fine. Do well, is all I was sayin'

Just watch your tenses, ie, past/present tense. I could give you a link, but then how are you going to learn to conduct a Google search on your own?

Weird. Don` t i have to know what to search to properly conduct a google search? I guess not. I do have problems with my verbs!

What the fudge brownies!?!?! You search "titcr" and "How to conjugate"
1. If you are a flame, you tricked me hahahah.
2. If you are not a flame do not go to law school
3. Do not ask what a flame is, google it.

my money is on flame now. Don ' t l o l

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:51 am

I thought people from Hong Kong knew english anyway?

eastwind

Postby eastwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:58 am

sophia.olive wrote:
eastwind wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
But the "plan to take control" could only mean "taking control of the exam at the exam time, and place". Any time, and place before the exam is not the lsat, but the prep for the lsat. It does not make sense to take control over the prep lsat, since you have full control, anyways.

What? Ok, fine. Do well, is all I was sayin'

Just watch your tenses, ie, past/present tense. I could give you a link, but then how are you going to learn to conduct a Google search on your own?

Weird. Don` t i have to know what to search to properly conduct a google search? I guess not. I do have problems with my verbs!

What the fudge brownies!?!?! You search "titcr" and "How to conjugate"
1. If you are a flame, you tricked me hahahah.
2. If you are not a flame do not go to law school
3. Do not ask what a flame is, google it.

my money is on flame now. Don ' t l o l

Yes, i have a lot of my time to flame. yes, it is LOL

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:58 am

Desert Fox wrote:I thought people from Hong Kong knew english anyway?

I thought that also, but its not true generally, especially the uneducated ones who come to america and start a restaurant. And the ones that do speak english generally have a british accent, which is hardly proper english and extremely off putting.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:59 am

wait, dont google it (lol) and tell me quick. what is a flame...

eastwind

Postby eastwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:06 am

sophia.olive wrote:

I thought that also, but its not true generally, especially the uneducated ones who come to america and start a restaurant. And the ones that do speak english generally have a british accent, which is hardly proper english and extremely off putting.

Generally, the people that comes from hong kong don ` t speak English at all. It is an unfair assumption to say that they do. Also, i don ` t see there is anything wrong with people that can ` t speak english, especially if they are immigrants.

eastwind

Postby eastwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:09 am

sophia.olive wrote:wait, dont google it (lol) and tell me quick. what is a flame...

I just did. It comes out sophia.olive. Don ` t you just hate that?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:11 am

sophia.olive wrote:Thats great and all, but what is important to him now is law school. And though I am not too terrible certain, I think conjugation will be necessary.

Sophia - I agree, but that's not what I was arguing. Shucking was saying that it was bizarre to have somebody with a Master's degree (which isn't accurate) that had trouble with verb conjugation. I was just arguing that it's actually not that bizarre. In no way did I say OP would be fine in law with subpar English skills. I was just saying that other disciplines that are not so language-dependent have many, many practitioners and students that do not perform highly there.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:36 am

eastwind wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:

Generally, the people that comes from hong kong don ` t speak English at all. It is an unfair assumption to say that they do. Also, i don ` t see there is anything wrong with people that can ` t speak english, especially if they are immigrants.

Me neither..
I'm just stating facts that are relative to your situation.
I'm not xenophobic or anything, i realize what i wrote might seem harsh. Actually i have a strong affinity towards the chinese, i lived in china and wish i could go back. oh well. I would really research what kind of law opportunities there are internationally for you...... on google.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:40 am

please stop surrounding your (')s with spaces

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:49 am

sophia.olive wrote:please stop surrounding your (')s with spaces

sophia. I hope you're joking. That's not a ' that's a `. Leads to different formatting and letter spacing. The kid's just proving he's foreign. Eastwind, use the ' instead of the `. ` is for accenting words only.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:03 pm

what the. i dont even have that on my keyboard

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:03 pm

sophia.olive wrote:what the. i dont even have that on my keyboard

it's under the tilde (for us).

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Good call. To be fair, I didn't say that foreign-born automatically signifies an inability to conjugate English verbs. And it would be an unfair assumption, if I had made it. But I realize that what I hastily had written could be interpreted that way. Allow me to rephrase: From my experience in career services at a large university, a large portion of the masters/ Ph.D. students in the hard sciences / mathematics are foreign-born students who have sub-fluent English skills, including inability to conjugate irregular verbs at a high success rate.

Eh, sure. Although I don't know if you have the authority to state "a large portion" and I don't know if you can equate oral communication skills with written communication skills. Unless, of course you've analyzed the writing of all of these students, in which case, nevermind...

TommyK wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:Weird. Don` t i have to know what to search to properly conduct a google search? I guess not. I do have problems with my verbs!

OP, just stop. Tell me, how did you find this site? Saying you lack basic web navigation skills is just making it far too obvious that you are not to be taken seriously. Personally, I think you're an anti-AA troll who's using a (poorly-devised) imitation of an international student to prove your point. The story of your upbringing is hackneyed to say the least. You've maintained a distinctly-American sense of humor and sarcasm. And now you're claiming you don't know how to use Google? C'mon now.

However, and always, I could be wrong. If I am, I apologize and good luck on the LSAT. :)

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:57 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:

Eh, sure. Although I don't know if you have the authority to state "a large portion" and I don't know if you can equate oral communication skills with written communication skills. Unless, of course you've analyzed the writing of all of these students, in which case, nevermind...

Yeah, actually was referencing written. I helped students with resumes, cover letters, thank you letters. Also helped students in a writing center with academic papers. But nevermind - this was seriously just an unimportant tangent. My point was that somebody with an advanced degree can suck at conjugating verbs. That's all. Nothing to see here, folks!

Shalom.

moneko

Postby moneko » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:19 am

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”