How under represented am i?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
eastwind
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 am

How under represented am i?

Postby eastwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:31 am

I came to the U.S from hong kong at 18. I study a year of high school. Help my parents open a restaurant. I study some English at a junior college, and transfer to UCLA as an undergrad in mathematics( took a lot of philosophy). I am the first person to go to college. My parents never had any schooling. I have a passion for learning, and studying.


^
Am i underrepresented? typical?

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:54 am

yawn.......

Fluent cantonese cant hurt but it wont help that much. What was your lsat score?
If it is pretty high that would be pretty impressive. But you wont get a real boost outside of numbers.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby beachbum » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:17 am

You have a couple factors (first generation college/grad student, fluent in another language, international experience) that may have a positive influence (however minor) on your application. It would certainly be worth your time to put these things into a diversity statement. But your best bet is to apply that love of studying to the LSAT.

eastwind
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 am

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby eastwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:18 am

sophia.olive wrote:yawn.......

Fluent cantonese cant hurt but it wont help that much. What was your lsat score?
If it is pretty high that would be pretty impressive. But you wont get a real boost outside of numbers.


Never took lsat, but i plan to take it in oct 12. Can you tell me why i am not "under represented"? I had to learn a whole new language, open a business, and my parents are completely uneducated! We also have very little money. Also, I study Math, and philosophy, so, i am surely not doing it for the money. I am like those poor artist who had to overcome being poor, and follow some abstract ideals. What exactly do i need to do for the admission office to look "beyond the numbers"?

eastwind
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 am

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby eastwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:20 am

beachbum wrote:You have a couple factors (first generation college/grad student, fluent in another language, international experience) that may have a positive influence (however minor) on your application. It would certainly be worth your time to put these things into a diversity statement. But your best bet is to apply that love of studying to the LSAT.


I plan to take complete control over the lsat as if my life depends on it.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:35 am

eastwind wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:yawn.......

Fluent cantonese cant hurt but it wont help that much. What was your lsat score?
If it is pretty high that would be pretty impressive. But you wont get a real boost outside of numbers.


Never took lsat, but i plan to take it in oct 12. Can you tell me why i am not "under represented"? I had to learn a whole new language, open a business, and my parents are completely uneducated! We also have very little money. Also, I study Math, and philosophy, so, i am surely not doing it for the money. I am like those poor artist who had to overcome being poor, and follow some abstract ideals. What exactly do i need to do for the admission office to look "beyond the numbers"?


Well, here is the problem with english being your second language, you are not understanding the connotative and denotative attributes of the language. lol Sure you might be "under represented" as in, from hong kong. But in relation to law school addmittance and looking past the numbers, you will not count as "under represented." You will be lumped into asian which is not under represented.

As for not having money and all the other stuff you said, that puts you in the majority.
Study for the lsat, stop thinking you are unique because you are not, stop making stupid metaphors, they won't look beyond your numbers unless you actually did something meaningful "like cure cancer," I dont know what kind of crazy ideas you got into your little naive head but this little unique american dream thing doesnt exist in the real world. Everyone wants to go to the top schools and most everyone came over a lot, but most everyone wont make it without the numbers.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:39 am

eastwind wrote:
beachbum wrote:You have a couple factors (first generation college/grad student, fluent in another language, international experience) that may have a positive influence (however minor) on your application. It would certainly be worth your time to put these things into a diversity statement. But your best bet is to apply that love of studying to the LSAT.


I plan to take complete control over the lsat as if my life depends on it.

titcr

eastwind
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 am

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby eastwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:51 am

sophia.olive wrote:
eastwind wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:yawn.......

Fluent cantonese cant hurt but it wont help that much. What was your lsat score?
If it is pretty high that would be pretty impressive. But you wont get a real boost outside of numbers.


Never took lsat, but i plan to take it in oct 12. Can you tell me why i am not "under represented"? I had to learn a whole new language, open a business, and my parents are completely uneducated! We also have very little money. Also, I study Math, and philosophy, so, i am surely not doing it for the money. I am like those poor artist who had to overcome being poor, and follow some abstract ideals. What exactly do i need to do for the admission office to look "beyond the numbers"?


Well, here is the problem with english being your second language, you are not understanding the connotative and denotative attributes of the language. lol Sure you might be "under represented" as in, from hong kong. But in relation to law school addmittance and looking past the numbers, you will not count as "under represented." You will be lumped into asian which is not under represented.

As for not having money and all the other stuff you said, that puts you in the majority.
Study for the lsat, stop thinking you are unique because you are not, stop making stupid metaphors, they won't look beyond your numbers unless you actually did something meaningful "like cure cancer," I dont know what kind of crazy ideas you got into your little naive head but this little unique american dream thing doesnt exist in the real world. Everyone wants to go to the top schools and most everyone came over a lot, but most everyone wont make it without the numbers.



Well, i do plan that they would at least look beyond the numbers in the personal statement section of the application. Otherwise, what is the point of writing the personal statement? Why is my metaphor "naive"? Could it not be used as a theme in my personal statement?

eastwind
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 am

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby eastwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:53 am

sophia.olive wrote:
eastwind wrote:
beachbum wrote:You have a couple factors (first generation college/grad student, fluent in another language, international experience) that may have a positive influence (however minor) on your application. It would certainly be worth your time to put these things into a diversity statement. But your best bet is to apply that love of studying to the LSAT.


I plan to take complete control over the lsat as if my life depends on it.

titcr


What is titcr?

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:03 am

eastwind wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
eastwind wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:yawn.......

Fluent cantonese cant hurt but it wont help that much. What was your lsat score?
If it is pretty high that would be pretty impressive. But you wont get a real boost outside of numbers.


Never took lsat, but i plan to take it in oct 12. Can you tell me why i am not "under represented"? I had to learn a whole new language, open a business, and my parents are completely uneducated! We also have very little money. Also, I study Math, and philosophy, so, i am surely not doing it for the money. I am like those poor artist who had to overcome being poor, and follow some abstract ideals. What exactly do i need to do for the admission office to look "beyond the numbers"?


Well, here is the problem with english being your second language, you are not understanding the connotative and denotative attributes of the language. lol Sure you might be "under represented" as in, from hong kong. But in relation to law school addmittance and looking past the numbers, you will not count as "under represented." You will be lumped into asian which is not under represented.

As for not having money and all the other stuff you said, that puts you in the majority.
Study for the lsat, stop thinking you are unique because you are not, stop making stupid metaphors, they won't look beyond your numbers unless you actually did something meaningful "like cure cancer," I dont know what kind of crazy ideas you got into your little naive head but this little unique american dream thing doesnt exist in the real world. Everyone wants to go to the top schools and most everyone came over a lot, but most everyone wont make it without the numbers.



Well, i do plan that they would at least look beyond the numbers in the personal statement section of the application. Otherwise, what is the point of writing the personal statement? Why is my metaphor "naive"? Could it not be used as a theme in my personal statement?


What... I didnt say your metaphor was naive. I said it was stupid. I said you were naive based off of what you wrote. I dont know how you expect to do well on the lsat (RC) and become a laywer if you cant even read my simple post correctly. Yeah sure they will look at your personal statement, but it wont make a difference if your numbers are sub-par. You are not special i dont know why you think your personal statement will make a difference. Too many people have lied to you.
Please re-read my post and try harder to understand what i wrote. Remember I was responding also to looking" past the numbers."

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:05 am

eastwind wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
eastwind wrote:
beachbum wrote:You have a couple factors (first generation college/grad student, fluent in another language, international experience) that may have a positive influence (however minor) on your application. It would certainly be worth your time to put these things into a diversity statement. But your best bet is to apply that love of studying to the LSAT.


I plan to take complete control over the lsat as if my life depends on it.

titcr


What is titcr?

Google it......
Look you hardly speak english, you are taking a test that will measure, to a large extent, your english ability compared to native speakers, and you want to become a lawyer. You really, really need to be more resourceful.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:18 am

OP:

"Under represented minority" or URM is a legal classification of certain minorities that are not well-represented in law school enrollment today. Schools will classify you as Asian, and Asians are not URMs because there are already a lot of them attending law schools. This is a little simplified but basically the truth.

However, your adversity as a first-generation American and your unique life experiences will still make a great PS and possibly help you. You'll still need to do great on the LSAT, though, since you won't be regarded as a URM.

eastwind
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 am

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby eastwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:22 am

sophia.olive wrote:
What... I didnt say your metaphor was naive. I said it was stupid. I said you were naive based off of what you wrote. I dont know how you expect to do well on the lsat (RC) and become a laywer if you cant even read my simple post correctly. Yeah sure they will look at your personal statement, but it wont make a difference if your numbers are sub-par. You are not special i dont know why you think your personal statement will make a difference. Too many people have lied to you.
Please re-read my post and try harder to understand what i wrote. Remember I was responding also to looking" past the numbers."


Well, i guess i did make a mistake! Sorry about that!

Just to be fair, i never intent to gain admission by my personal statement alone. The personal statement is something that i have to write, and this is the only reason i care enough to look "beyond the numbers".

The part about "me thinking that i am unique", you are right about that, but it is not something that is suggestive in my writing. I only ask for what constitutes as "under represented". Someone can be under represented, and not unique. Eg: A black person would be traditional under represented, but not unique in experience to his/her socio-economic peers.
Last edited by eastwind on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

eastwind
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 am

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby eastwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:24 am

vanwinkle wrote:OP:

"Under represented minority" or URM is a legal classification of certain minorities that are not well-represented in law school enrollment today. Schools will classify you as Asian, and Asians are not URMs because there are already a lot of them attending law schools. This is a little simplified but basically the truth.

However, your adversity as a first-generation American and your unique life experiences will still make a great PS and possibly help you. You'll still need to do great on the LSAT, though, since you won't be regarded as a URM.


Thanks.

eastwind
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 am

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby eastwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:26 am

sophia.olive wrote:Google it......
Look you hardly speak english, you are taking a test that will measure, to a large extent, your english ability compared to native speakers, and you want to become a lawyer. You really, really need to be more resourceful.



That maybe the case, but i am going to try my best. I hope it would do. :P

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:36 am

eastwind wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:Google it......
Look you hardly speak english, you are taking a test that will measure, to a large extent, your english ability compared to native speakers, and you want to become a lawyer. You really, really need to be more resourceful.



That maybe the case, but i am going to try my best. I hope it would do. :P

Good Luck.
Dont feel constrained by the testing times. If you need to postpone applying and the test, do so. It is not horrible to wait a year, if it gets you some scholarship money and better options. Use the bibles. build up your endurance. search this site for study plans.
Have someone check you ps ds before you submit.

eastwind
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 am

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby eastwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:55 am

sophia.olive wrote:
eastwind wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:Google it......
Look you hardly speak english, you are taking a test that will measure, to a large extent, your english ability compared to native speakers, and you want to become a lawyer. You really, really need to be more resourceful.



That maybe the case, but i am going to try my best. I hope it would do. :P

Good Luck.
Dont feel constrained by the testing times. If you need to postpone applying and the test, do so. It is not horrible to wait a year, if it gets you some scholarship money and better options. Use the bibles. build up your endurance. search this site for study plans.
Have someone check you ps ds before you submit.


No, thank you. Your "good intention" is noted.

User avatar
ShuckingNotJiving
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 am

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:24 am

Sophia, I think the OP just implied that you're going to hell --

Eastwind, in another post you maintained that you have a master's...is this true? If so, I find it odd that someone with a master's from university in the United States would not be able to correctly conjugate English verbs. I also find it odd that someone Asian would have a username like "Eastwind." I could be wrong about the oddities, though....

You are not "underrepresented" but you definitely aren't typical. You need to use your anomalous situation to your advantage when crafting your PS, NOT when posting on this forum. You're saying "you plan on taking control of the LSAT" but, quite frankly, you should be doing that already, not just planning-- it's in two months! Make sure you do well, as others have said. :)

eastwind
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 am

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby eastwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 am

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:Sophia, I think the OP just implied that you're going to hell --

Eastwind, in another post you maintained that you have a master's...is this true? If so, I find it odd that someone with a master's from university in the United States would not be able to correctly conjugate English verbs. I also find it odd that someone Asian would have a username like "Eastwind." I could be wrong about the oddities, though....

You are not "underrepresented" but you definitely aren't typical. You need to use your anomalous situation to your advantage when crafting your PS, NOT when posting on this forum. You're saying "you plan on taking control of the LSAT" but, quite frankly, you should be doing that already, not just planning-- it's in two months! Make sure you do well, as others have said. :)



But the "plan to take control" could only mean "taking control of the exam at the exam time, and place". Any time, and place before the exam is not the lsat, but the prep for the lsat. It does not make sense to take control over the prep lsat, since you have full control, anyways.

I don ` t have a master. Can you give me a link to improve my verb conjugation? thanks. :P

User avatar
ShuckingNotJiving
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 am

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 am

But the "plan to take control" could only mean "taking control of the exam at the exam time, and place". Any time, and place before the exam is not the lsat, but the prep for the lsat. It does not make sense to take control over the prep lsat, since you have full control, anyways.


What? Ok, fine. Do well, is all I was sayin'

Just watch your tenses, ie, past/present tense. I could give you a link, but then how are you going to learn to conduct a Google search on your own?

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby TommyK » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:19 am

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
Eastwind, in another post you maintained that you have a master's...is this true? If so, I find it odd that someone with a master's from university in the United States would not be able to correctly conjugate English verbs.


Have you stepped foot onto a research 1 institution recently? I used to work in career services for a university and a large portion of the Masters students in the sciences and mathematics were foreign-born. We have one of the best higher education systems in the world and it attracts students from everywhere. Programs look for a proficiency in their prospective advance field of study. For many of these, it does not involve being able to conjugate irregular verbs.

User avatar
ShuckingNotJiving
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 am

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:31 am

Hmm, notice how I did say "I could be wrong about those oddities."

To answer your question, I have stepped foot in a research I institution (happened to attend one for UG), and I do see your point. However, I wouldn't go as far as to say that "foreign-born" automatically signifies inability to conjugate English verbs. That's quite the unfair assumption.

eastwind
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 am

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby eastwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:40 am

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
But the "plan to take control" could only mean "taking control of the exam at the exam time, and place". Any time, and place before the exam is not the lsat, but the prep for the lsat. It does not make sense to take control over the prep lsat, since you have full control, anyways.


What? Ok, fine. Do well, is all I was sayin'

Just watch your tenses, ie, past/present tense. I could give you a link, but then how are you going to learn to conduct a Google search on your own?


Weird. Don` t i have to know what to search to properly conduct a google search? I guess not. I do have problems with my verbs!

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:45 am

TommyK wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
Eastwind, in another post you maintained that you have a master's...is this true? If so, I find it odd that someone with a master's from university in the United States would not be able to correctly conjugate English verbs.


Have you stepped foot onto a research 1 institution recently? I used to work in career services for a university and a large portion of the Masters students in the sciences and mathematics were foreign-born. We have one of the best higher education systems in the world and it attracts students from everywhere. Programs look for a proficiency in their prospective advance field of study. For many of these, it does not involve being able to conjugate irregular verbs.


Thats great and all, but what is important to him now is law school. And though I am not too terrible certain, I think conjugation will be necessary.

Anyways, OP be careful regarding your career choice. Law will require a very high level of english and I don't want you to finish law school 150,000 thou down, and people won't hire you because you cant write a memo without an error in it. Don't get me wrong, everyone makes mistakes, my grammar is horrendous, but you will have to work harder than most people to produce the same results, just because you were not speaking english your whole life.

Do you know anything about the legal market in hong kong. I know law is becoming a bigger factor in Chinese education. I loved Hong Kong when i stayed there and a good portion of the chinese population overall speak cantonese. Perhaps there will be some international opportunities because of this... I wish i spoke chinese.....oh well.

zaijian


Eastwind is an odd name.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: How under represented am i?

Postby merichard87 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:48 am

Ya'll are giving me a headache.

OP: Shucking was telling you that ou need to prepping for the LSAT right now. Thats the only way you are going to "take contol" during the test. You have to prepare yourself and the best way to do that is taking tests over and over and getting used to the questions and timing.

Also, yes there are many graduate programs that don't really require having a strong grasp of the English language but Law is not one of them. OP, if you cannot clearly and effectively use the language to state your case in clear fact and precedents you will be at a huge disadvantage. Get into some ESL classes immediately.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests