Dilemma

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
dlbuhr

Dilemma

Postby dlbuhr » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:58 pm

So I'm not sure what to do. My grandfather was a Native American, Cherokee, making me a quarter Native American. I can trace my ancestry through birth certificates which state that my grandfather and my great-grandparents were all Cherokee. But, my family and I have had no luck finding my great-grandparents names on the Dawes Rolls, meaning that I'm not federally recognized as being Native American. Does that mean that under ethnicity I can't mark Native American on applications?

Knock

Re: Dilemma

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:02 pm

dlbuhr wrote:So I'm not sure what to do. My grandfather was a Native American, Cherokee, making me a quarter Native American. I can trace my ancestry through birth certificates which state that my grandfather and my great-grandparents were all Cherokee. But, my family and I have had no luck finding my great-grandparents names on the Dawes Rolls, meaning that I'm not federally recognized as being Native American. Does that mean that under ethnicity I can't mark Native American on applications?

No, you can still check it and right a DS. They don't check or anything. Just be honest. If that's your heritage or that's what you identify as then go for it.

But they key is to write a DS, otherwise it's questionable whether you'll receive a boost or not. Explain how your culture has shaped your worldview and made you who you are and how/why that would enrich a law school classroom.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”