New member here, where should I apply?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Voco90

New member here, where should I apply?

Postby Voco90 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:08 pm

Hello All,

I've been a long time visiter of TLS, but just recently created an account. I'm currently a sophomore at a very good liberal arts college (T20), and would love to get some advice on where to apply. I have already reviewed some threads where the OP had circumstances similar to mine, however, I still feel that my variables are a different enough to ask your opinions!

Facts:
3.67 GPA
Top 20 Liberal Arts College
African-American and Cuban.
First-Year Class President (and Sophomore Class Representative) in our student government.
Member of 5 different advisory committees around my school, all of which are directly connected to our administration.
Work experience, and I am in the process of starting my own company.
Will be doing an interdisciplinary honors thesis (economics and humanities)
LSAT, I don't know...yet. For the sake of getting your opinions, I'll say 164?

This site has been an exceedingly positive source of information for me, and I appreciate any replies in advance! I'm really looking forward to reading the responses.

Thanks,

Voco90
Last edited by Voco90 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Re: New member here, where should I apply?

Postby Knock » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:09 pm

Voco90 wrote:Hello All,

I've been a long time visiter of TLS, but just recently created an account. I'm currently a sophomore at a very good liberal arts college (T20), and would love to get some advice on where to apply. I have already reviewed some threads where the OP had circumstances similar to mine, however, I still feel that my variables are a different enough to ask.

Facts:
3.67 GPA
Top 20 Liberal Arts College
African-American and Cuban.
First-Year Class President (and Sophomore Class Representative) in our student government.
Member of 5 different advisory committees around my school, all of which are directly connected to our administration.
Work experience, and I am in the process of starting my own company.
Will be doing an interdisciplinary honors thesis (economics and humanities)
LSAT, I don't know...yet. For the sake of getting your opinions, I'll say 164?

This site has been an exceedingly positive source of information for me, and I appreciate any replies in advance! I'm really looking forward to reading the responses.

Thanks,

Voco90

Get your LSAT first, but with that GPA and a mid 160's LSAT you should be applying to the entire T-14, plus selected schools in your region you want to practice.

Softs (everything but GPA, LSAT) don't really matter. Keep that GPA up or raise it if possible, and study hard for the LSAT.
Last edited by Knock on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrackTony88

Postby TrackTony88 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:10 pm

enjoy college...come back in a year when you have an LSAT score.

Voco90

Postby Voco90 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:13 pm

thanks for the quick replies!

And I will continue to enjoy my undergrad experience :D,

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:36 pm

It's great that you want to get a head start on this, but you've got time. Keep working on that GPA so you can tap into that scholarship money and most importantly, do well on the LSAT.

I'd just advise one more thing and really helped me out - go to your local Public Defender Office/District Attorney/Law Firm and ask if they'd like an intern over the summer. It's a good way of getting some insight into what they do and can help with rec letters.

Pip

Postby Pip » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:00 pm

What you don't mention is what state you live in. That can also have an impact on your chances. Don't assume that your only boost is from URM status, it can also come from the state that you are in or can also go against you. Suppose you are from a state that has few people applying to the school you want to attend, your chances also increased for that, of course if you are from New York where there are hundreds of people with your same background applying to the school you want into, well your odds dropped because their is a greater chance that there are others from New York with better numbers.

Voco90

Postby Voco90 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Pip, thanks much for your response! You've provided an angle that I have, in the past, considered. Although I attend a Northern school, I am a resident of the peach state: Georgia.

Law schools love to say, "We have students from 49 out of 50 states!" and so on.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:52 pm

billyez wrote:It's great that you want to get a head start on this, but you've got time. Keep working on that GPA so you can tap into that scholarship money and most importantly, do well on the LSAT.

I'd just advise one more thing and really helped me out - go to your local Public Defender Office/District Attorney/Law Firm and ask if they'd like an intern over the summer. It's a good way of getting some insight into what they do and can help with rec letters.

Not to mention that these are great experiences. Perhaps e-mail or call your local superior court about an internship as well. Court time is great if you're interested in law school and the profession.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”