URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby masterthearts » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:11 pm

AztecaRex wrote:
elmagic wrote:I'm not trying to stick up for this guy, I don't even know the back story, but I think his comment brings up something that a lot of AA don't like to talk about when it comes to law school. There is a dearth of African-Americans at the top law schools, but it seems at least at my school and the other schools I have friends at most African-Americans are actually multi-racial. A lot of them are half white, or actually from Africa. A good friend of mine who is an associate now and grew up in Cabrini Green, always told me how he thinks it's disappointing that the classes of African-Americans at most top law schools don't represent the actual pool of African-Americans living in the US.

I think the same can be said about Hispanics in law school. So, to other URMs does it bother you that your colleagues are not really representative of blacks/hispanics, and do you think law schools should put more effort into recruiting a better reflection of the cross section of underrepresented minorities?


Agreed, Argentina (I assume you mean Buenos Aires) is full of people of European descent..mainly from Italy, Spain, Germany, even Wales. Also, many Jews in Argentina from Russia.

I actually am a multi-ethnic Latino myself, but I'd just like to say that the vast majority of Latinos are mestizos, i.e. of European and Ameridian descent. Also, in certain Latin countries (mainly South American like Argentina) the European heritage is strong enough that the majority of people may simply look European with little trace of indigenous features. And then of course there are places like Brazil that just mix African, European, and indigenous peoples (and IMO have the best looking women because of this :wink: ). My point is that--at least with regards to Latinos--the "representative" amount of sangre Latina is a bit hard to determine :)

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:22 pm

elmagic wrote:So, to other URMs does it bother you that your colleagues are not really representative of blacks/hispanics, and do you think law schools should put more effort into recruiting a better reflection of the cross section of underrepresented minorities?


Depends on the law school. I observe there are more minorities within a minority in top law schools, not so much in the lower tiered.

I do believe more effort should be made to recruit a minority student body that better reflects a variety of SE backgrounds and ethnicities, however, that's to assume we have a large applicant pool of qualified minorities to begin with. And by qualified I mean the standard used by most top law schools to recruit the best: a top LSAT score. The black students on TLS scoring in the 90th percentile and above are not a good reflection of where most of us [black applicants] are scoring. Most black students may have the desire or good GPA to get into a T10 but not the LSAT score. It locks many of us out.

Not to mention that most black students getting into your top law schools are not poor AA students but rather the middle/upper middle class African Americans, Africans and Afro-Caribbean students.

All this to say that top law schools can only do so much in recruiting a larger cross section of URMs. The applicant pool doesn't allow for it.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby lisjjen » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:06 pm

AztecaRex wrote: And then of course there are places like Brazil that just mix African, European, and indigenous peoples (and IMO have the best looking women because of this :wink: ).


Sorry RJ, I'll pick the train up in a second, I just had to say yes and amen.

I'm in at UMich and Cornell, but that's super old news by now.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LLB2JD » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:13 pm

lisjjen wrote:
AztecaRex wrote: And then of course there are places like Brazil that just mix African, European, and indigenous peoples (and IMO have the best looking women because of this :wink: ).


Sorry RJ, I'll pick the train up in a second, I just had to say yes and amen.

I'm in at UMich and Cornell, but that's super old news by now.


Congrats

User avatar
Byakuya769
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Byakuya769 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:57 pm

AA Male
LSDA GPA - 2.97 (3.23)
LSAT - 167
MS Fin - 3.79
Big 4 accountancy experience

I applied very early for all schools, generally completed by late september. Though a few were not complete until the end of November, but all were submitted by October. Here's my cycle so far:

Boston College - Accepted
Boston University - Pending
Columbia - Pending
Cornell - EA: Hold
Duke - Pending
Fordham - Accepted
Georgetown - Accepted
Harvard - Pending
Northwestern - Pending (black male initiative visitor..)
NYU - Early Decision: Hold
Penn - Wait-Listed
UC Berkeley - Pending
UC Hastings - Pending
UCLA - Pending
Virginia - Wait-Listed
William & Mary - Accepted w/ scholy

Let's see what the new year brings, or doesn't.
: (
Last edited by Byakuya769 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:32 pm

Byakuya769 wrote:AA Male
LSDA GPA - 2.97 (3.23)
LSAT - 167
MS Fin - 3.79
Big 4 accountancy experience

I applied very early for all schools, generally completed by late september. Though a few were not complete until the end of November, but all were submitted by October. Here's my cycle so far:

Boston College Accepted
Boston University Pending
Columbia Pending
Cornell EA - Hold
Duke Pending
Fordham Accepted
GULC Accepted
Harvard Pending
Northwestern Pending (black male initiative visitor..)
NYU ED - Hold
Penn Wait-Listed
UC Hastings Pending
UCLA Pending
Virginia Wait-Listed
William & Mary Accepted w/ scholy

Let's see what the new year brings, or doesn't.
: (


Congrats! I'm hoping to hear some good news from G'Town in the next month.

User avatar
Byakuya769
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Byakuya769 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:10 am

ksimon2007 wrote:
Congrats! I'm hoping to hear some good news from G'Town in the next month.


Thanks! Best of luck to you with GULC!

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby 20121109 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:53 am

Byakuya769 wrote:AA Male
LSDA GPA - 2.97 (3.23)
LSAT - 167
MS Fin - 3.79
Big 4 accountancy experience

I applied very early for all schools, generally completed by late september. Though a few were not complete until the end of November, but all were submitted by October. Here's my cycle so far:

Boston College - Accepted
Boston University - Pending
Columbia - Pending
Cornell - EA: Hold
Duke - Pending
Fordham - Accepted
Georgetown - Accepted
Harvard - Pending
Northwestern - Pending (black male initiative visitor..)
NYU - Early Decision: Hold
Penn - Wait-Listed
UC Berkeley - Pending
UC Hastings - Pending
UCLA - Pending
Virginia - Wait-Listed
William & Mary - Accepted w/ scholy

Let's see what the new year brings, or doesn't.
: (


Hey, you're back! My fellow Bleach fan :D !!!! I wish you all the best this cycle <3

User avatar
Byakuya769
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Byakuya769 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:44 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Hey, you're back! My fellow Bleach fan :D !!!! I wish you all the best this cycle <3

Thanks! I'm back with the same LSAT score as ever! That was a bitter surprise, but I figured applying early would help me out more than a slightly higher LSAT, being a splitter. Plus there was more risk than reward with retaking a third time. I feel alright now, just hoping I have some options come March.

How did your first semester at Harvard treat ya? Hope you're enjoying it, as much as an 1L can be expected to enjoy it, that is.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:35 pm

lisjjen wrote:
AztecaRex wrote: And then of course there are places like Brazil that just mix African, European, and indigenous peoples (and IMO have the best looking women because of this :wink: ).


Sorry RJ, I'll pick the train up in a second, I just had to say yes and amen.

I'm in at UMich and Cornell, but that's super old news by now.


All good homie, and congrats!

User avatar
Wolverine Den
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:08 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Wolverine Den » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:27 pm

In at Berkeley and Georgetown!!!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Knock » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Wolverine Den wrote:In at Berkeley and Georgetown!!!


Congrats Wolverine. Are you leaning to a particular school yet?

User avatar
pennyloafer17
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:44 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby pennyloafer17 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Wolverine Den wrote:In at Berkeley and Georgetown!!!



Congrats!

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:18 pm

In at UVA today! Totally unexpected...I was waiting for a recommendation from an alum to get in, but they made the decision...

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Fresh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:31 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:In at UVA today! Totally unexpected...I was waiting for a recommendation from an alum to get in, but they made the decision...


wooop! congratssss

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:49 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:In at UVA today! Totally unexpected...I was waiting for a recommendation from an alum to get in, but they made the decision...


congrats! when did you submit? and what are your #s?

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby timmna » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:04 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:In at UVA today! Totally unexpected...I was waiting for a recommendation from an alum to get in, but they made the decision...


Hey hey! Congratulations!

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby kjadkins » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:48 pm

In at Mason, Dinged at UVA.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:52 pm

Knock wrote:
Wolverine Den wrote:In at Berkeley and Georgetown!!!


Congrats Wolverine. Are you leaning to a particular school yet?


wolverine den, your profile says you're in at stanford??

true?!!
congrats!!!

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby 20121109 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Byakuya769 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Hey, you're back! My fellow Bleach fan :D !!!! I wish you all the best this cycle <3

Thanks! I'm back with the same LSAT score as ever! That was a bitter surprise, but I figured applying early would help me out more than a slightly higher LSAT, being a splitter. Plus there was more risk than reward with retaking a third time. I feel alright now, just hoping I have some options come March.

How did your first semester at Harvard treat ya? Hope you're enjoying it, as much as an 1L can be expected to enjoy it, that is.

PMed :)
Wolverine Den wrote:In at Berkeley and Georgetown!!!
kjadkins wrote:In at Mason

Congrats, guys!!!!!

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:09 pm

RJ127 wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:In at UVA today! Totally unexpected...I was waiting for a recommendation from an alum to get in, but they made the decision...


congrats! when did you submit? and what are your #s?


Thanks. Im traveling so my response is a little late. OOS RD 3.5/158

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:10 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:In at UVA today! Totally unexpected...I was waiting for a recommendation from an alum to get in, but they made the decision...


congrats! when did you submit? and what are your #s?


Thanks. Im traveling so my response is a little late. OOS RD 3.5/158


Congrats!! that is a really, really solid pull.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:14 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:In at UVA today! Totally unexpected...I was waiting for a recommendation from an alum to get in, but they made the decision...


congrats! when did you submit? and what are your #s?


Thanks. Im traveling so my response is a little late. OOS RD 3.5/158


Congrats!! that is a really, really solid pull.


Thanks. I forgot to mention for RJ but submitted on 12/17

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:47 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:In at UVA today! Totally unexpected...I was waiting for a recommendation from an alum to get in, but they made the decision...


congrats! when did you submit? and what are your #s?


Thanks. Im traveling so my response is a little late. OOS RD 3.5/158


Super fast turn around with the 12/17 submission date. Nice!

User avatar
almightypush
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:19 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby almightypush » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:28 pm

thus far, in at Harvard, NYU, and UVa (full ride).




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests