URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:27 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:We need more activity on this thread. I need motivation to start my PS... anyone done with it yet?? All I got left to do is "Why UVA" and my general PS..


Agreed. More activity is needed. I'm not applying this cycle but I've already started my PS. Have you narrowed down on what you want to talk about? Also, are you writing a DS?


Umm my PS is basically going to end up being my DS as well. Basically talking about my family's educational background, obstacles overcome, and what education has/does mean to me.


Sounds good. Are you getting several pairs of eyes to read it?


Yep.. I have all the main things I want to hit in bulletpoint format its just a matter of writing the damn thing.. visiting the gf next week to help her move in at school.. Ill write it while she is in class.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:29 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Umm my PS is basically going to end up being my DS as well. Basically talking about my family's educational background, obstacles overcome, and what education has/does mean to me.

Just to note, this strategy worked for me twice, so I'm a fan of the DS-in-the-PS method if possible.

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Fresh » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:46 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Umm my PS is basically going to end up being my DS as well. Basically talking about my family's educational background, obstacles overcome, and what education has/does mean to me.

Just to note, this strategy worked for me twice, so I'm a fan of the DS-in-the-PS method if possible.


van, do you mean it worked on the two apps you did it on or what exactly?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:47 pm

Fresh wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Umm my PS is basically going to end up being my DS as well. Basically talking about my family's educational background, obstacles overcome, and what education has/does mean to me.

Just to note, this strategy worked for me twice, so I'm a fan of the DS-in-the-PS method if possible.

van, do you mean it worked on the two apps you did it on or what exactly?

I mean it worked on my original app cycle and again on my transfer app cycle.

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Fresh » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:49 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Fresh wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Umm my PS is basically going to end up being my DS as well. Basically talking about my family's educational background, obstacles overcome, and what education has/does mean to me.

Just to note, this strategy worked for me twice, so I'm a fan of the DS-in-the-PS method if possible.

van, do you mean it worked on the two apps you did it on or what exactly?

I mean it worked on my original app cycle and again on my transfer app cycle.



gotcha. good to know thanks. how much overlap was there between the DS and PS

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:51 pm

Fresh wrote:gotcha. good to know thanks. how much overlap was there between the DS and PS

What I meant was I didn't have a separate DS, everything I would've said in my DS went in my PS, so I didn't need a separate one. I guess you could call that 100% overlap.

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Fresh » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:56 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Fresh wrote:gotcha. good to know thanks. how much overlap was there between the DS and PS

What I meant was I didn't have a separate DS, everything I would've said in my DS went in my PS, so I didn't need a separate one. I guess you could call that 100% overlap.


Haha. I didn't read what you read closely. For some reason I thought what you meant was that you commented on diversity in both your PS and DS. For the record, that is sort of what I am doing. I touch on socio-economics in my PS (not heavily) and race/ethnicity in my DS. The two, I would argue, are important facets of diversity

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:41 am

Whoooooppyyy de whoop

Got the first draft of my Why Virginia essay hammered out. I am going to use the same general framework for my other two Why X essays so I should be able to get those drafts done soon. It wasn't as hard as I thought... and in the end I was having to fight for room.

User avatar
Horchata
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Horchata » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:39 pm

Does anyone know if you can write a DS for Virginia? I just looked at the 2011 app and I don't see them talk about it, except for where it say "you may attach addenda". Should you just throw it in there?

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:00 pm

^^
I don't know but I am going to include it. I asked UT because their app was similarly unclear and they said I could.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:01 pm

Horchata wrote:Does anyone know if you can write a DS for Virginia? I just looked at the 2011 app and I don't see them talk about it, except for where it say "you may attach addenda". Should you just throw it in there?


Yes.

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby cartercl » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Is anyone applying to Cornell? I am debating whether or not to attach a Why Cornell essay since the question on the application that asks you why you want to attend only provides three lines for an answer. I'm leaning towards the "if they wanted you to write one they would have asked" answer, but I don't know. Any thoughts?

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:13 pm

Okay! Okay, I'm so nervous and suddenly behiiinnddd! I was so far ahead taking the LSAT in Feb and now somehow I'm behind. I haven't written even a RD of my PS and DS.
Will someone PM me and explain what my DS should be like? In more than general terms please!!

thannnkksss
stanford, michigan, chicago, penn, stanford, michigan, chicago, penn.... going on and on in my prayers today lol

User avatar
birdmann783
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:57 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby birdmann783 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:35 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Okay! Okay, I'm so nervous and suddenly behiiinnddd! I was so far ahead taking the LSAT in Feb and now somehow I'm behind. I haven't written even a RD of my PS and DS.
Will someone PM me and explain what my DS should be like? In more than general terms please!!

thannnkksss
stanford, michigan, chicago, penn, stanford, michigan, chicago, penn.... going on and on in my prayers today lol


im sorry but wtf have u been doing all this time

User avatar
booby87
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby booby87 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:42 pm

.
Last edited by booby87 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby 20121109 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:08 am

booby87 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
booby87 wrote:hiiiiiiiiiiiiii future classmates!! I'm sure this thread is going to be just as awesome as it was last year. Woo hoo '14 :mrgreen:


zOMG Boobs!!! Now that you've deferred, what are you doing with your time? <3

I guess I go to work every now and then 8) ... honestly though I'm stoked about my time off, I think Europe is in my future.

when do you start class?? still can't believe we traded classes, pure awesomeness...


<3

Getting ready to leave...packing, ordering books and laptops, researching the best Japanese restaurant in Cambridge...you know all the important stuff :) Orientation begins this Friday. I was apprehensive, but I'm starting to get excited again.

Europe sounds amazing. Which countries do you plan to visit?

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:35 am

cartercl wrote:Is anyone applying to Cornell? I am debating whether or not to attach a Why Cornell essay since the question on the application that asks you why you want to attend only provides three lines for an answer. I'm leaning towards the "if they wanted you to write one they would have asked" answer, but I don't know. Any thoughts?


Answer it in the lines provided.

User avatar
sikwitt
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:39 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby sikwitt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Rand M. wrote:
Top14dreams wrote:Hello and good luck to everyone in this upcoming cycle. Just curious as to whether anyone is aware of other programs similar to SEO?


I've heard over and over again that SEO is the only program even remotely like itself. CLEO is has a few programs geared toward minority applicants, but but they are kind of of a different nature. I don't know much about CLEO because I never went through that program, but here is an article that gives you some information about both -- http://www.top-law-schools.com/urm-applicant-programs.html -- If you have any questions about SEO that are not covered in the article, I may be able to answer them. I think there are others who went through CLEO and may be able to answer questions about that.

EDIT: There is also TRIALS, which is really prestigious and probably difficult to get, but beyond that I know nothing.

http://www.law.nyu.edu/news/SLI_TRIALS_2009



Class of 2013 checking in to give back to the young'uns. I also went to CLEO so feel free to ask me about that. Good Luck to all of you.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:24 pm

sikwitt wrote:Class of 2013 checking in to give back to the young'uns. I also went to CLEO so feel free to ask me about that. Good Luck to all of you.


Do you think CLEO helped you out in your cycle? I am considering applying to CLEO, but am unsure whether or not it will do much good. I mean, I would get most/all my applications in before I even app'd to CLEO. The only school I have noticed that asks if you plan to apply to CLEO is UT.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:27 pm

sikwitt wrote:Class of 2013 checking in to give back to the young'uns. I also went to CLEO so feel free to ask me about that. Good Luck to all of you.


Worth it?

winner21
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby winner21 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:42 pm

AA Male, 3.3 LSAC GPA, Private college in NYC. I really wanna know what's my chances in the T14? I have some pretty good softs, interned at Department of Defense this summer, interned for a U.S Senator, started the college Democrats chapter at my school, member of an honors society, self publishing a childrens book, op-ed writer for the school newspaper. What Kind of LSAT score do I need to be competitive with my GPA and softs? What schools would be interested in me.

I'm applying this cycle too. Planning to have all of my applications off right after the October LSAT. I've secured the letters of rec, they are being sent out to LSAC in September and I'm studying for the LSAT and working on the essays right now.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby EbonyEsq » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:46 pm

winner21 wrote:AA Male, 3.3 LSAC GPA, Private college in NYC. I really wanna know what's my chances in the T14? I have some pretty good softs, interned at Department of Defense this summer, interned for a U.S Senator, started the college Democrats chapter at my school, member of an honors society, self publishing a childrens book, op-ed writer for the school newspaper. What Kind of LSAT score do I need to be competitive with my GPA and softs? What schools would be interested in me.

I'm applying this cycle too. Planning to have all of my applications off right after the October LSAT. I've secured the letters of rec, they are being sent out to LSAC in September and I'm studying for the LSAT and working on the essays right now.


Totally depends on the LSAT score. What are you working with on practice exams?

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:49 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
winner21 wrote:AA Male, 3.3 LSAC GPA, Private college in NYC. I really wanna know what's my chances in the T14? I have some pretty good softs, interned at Department of Defense this summer, interned for a U.S Senator, started the college Democrats chapter at my school, member of an honors society, self publishing a childrens book, op-ed writer for the school newspaper. What Kind of LSAT score do I need to be competitive with my GPA and softs? What schools would be interested in me.

I'm applying this cycle too. Planning to have all of my applications off right after the October LSAT. I've secured the letters of rec, they are being sent out to LSAC in September and I'm studying for the LSAT and working on the essays right now.


Totally depends on the LSAT score. What are you working with on practice exams?



+1

winner21
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby winner21 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:55 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
winner21 wrote:AA Male, 3.3 LSAC GPA, Private college in NYC. I really wanna know what's my chances in the T14? I have some pretty good softs, interned at Department of Defense this summer, interned for a U.S Senator, started the college Democrats chapter at my school, member of an honors society, self publishing a childrens book, op-ed writer for the school newspaper. What Kind of LSAT score do I need to be competitive with my GPA and softs? What schools would be interested in me.

I'm applying this cycle too. Planning to have all of my applications off right after the October LSAT. I've secured the letters of rec, they are being sent out to LSAC in September and I'm studying for the LSAT and working on the essays right now.


Totally depends on the LSAT score. What are you working with on practice exams?


Yeah I'm studying with the Powerscore LR and LG Bibles. I've been taking practice exams pretty much, scoring in the low 160s. I really wanna know what score I need with my current background (GPA, Softs) to be competitive in the T14. What schools I should be looking at. Everything will be sent out as soon as I get my LSAT score back in Oct.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby EbonyEsq » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:59 pm

winner21 wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:
winner21 wrote:AA Male, 3.3 LSAC GPA, Private college in NYC. I really wanna know what's my chances in the T14? I have some pretty good softs, interned at Department of Defense this summer, interned for a U.S Senator, started the college Democrats chapter at my school, member of an honors society, self publishing a childrens book, op-ed writer for the school newspaper. What Kind of LSAT score do I need to be competitive with my GPA and softs? What schools would be interested in me.

I'm applying this cycle too. Planning to have all of my applications off right after the October LSAT. I've secured the letters of rec, they are being sent out to LSAC in September and I'm studying for the LSAT and working on the essays right now.


Totally depends on the LSAT score. What are you working with on practice exams?


Yeah I'm studying with the Powerscore LR and LG Bibles. I've been taking practice exams pretty much, scoring in the low 160s. I really wanna know what score I need with my current background (GPA, Softs) to be competitive in the T14. What schools I should be looking at. Everything will be sent out as soon as I get my LSAT score back in Oct.


The higher the better, but for T14 I'd safely say 165+ if you also want scholarship money with that acceptance letter.

Given the close proximity to exam date you should be spending less time on TLS and more time taking practice tests and working on your weaknesses. October will be here before you know it. :shock:




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest