URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby subtle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:31 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
Kaitlyn wrote:
Zabini wrote:Just thought I'd come in and post that I'm in at Columbia! First t14 acceptance and OH MY what a big one!


Congratulations, Zabini! Maybe I'll see you there. :)

+1


+1

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LLB2JD » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:33 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:This may be a dumb question but I can't find the answer through "search forum." My question: is the seat deposit part of tuition? Since my letter says we require 2 "tuition" deposits before X date, I am assuming that it is. And if it is, wouldn't that mean that if you had a full=tuition scholarship at said school, you wouldn't be obligated to pay the deposits?

Lastly, if all of my assumptions are correct, how would one go about reserving a seat without paying?

Thanks in advance.


Yes, the seat deposit is part of Tuition and fees. I would think that you'd still need to pay the deposit. They'll just go towards to other fees outside of not tuition. If your scholarship covers everything (Tuition and fees), you'll just get a refund.

miracle2011
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby miracle2011 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Law school cycle over, Berkeley is giving me $130,000!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:34 pm

bk1 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:This may be a dumb question but I can't find the answer through "search forum." My question: is the seat deposit part of tuition? Since my letter says we require 2 "tuition" deposits before X date, I am assuming that it is. And if it is, wouldn't that mean that if you had a full-tuition scholarship at said school, you wouldn't be obligated to pay the deposits?

Lastly, if all of my assumptions are correct, how would one go about reserving a seat without paying?

Thanks in advance.


Seat deposits reduce your tuition by that much, yes.

I would assume for those with a full tuition scholarship that you are still required to pay the seat deposit, but then are refunded once the school year starts. I would contact the school to verify.


Ok word. Thanks, you're more than likely correct because I assume they need some type of financial confirmation instead of "yeah, I'll be there." I will verify tomorrow.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:37 pm

miracle2011 wrote:Law school cycle over, Berkeley is giving me $130,000!!!!!!!!!



!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LLB2JD » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:41 pm

miracle2011 wrote:Law school cycle over, Berkeley is giving me $130,000!!!!!!!!!



Congrats

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:02 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:This may be a dumb question but I can't find the answer through "search forum." My question: is the seat deposit part of tuition? Since my letter says we require 2 "tuition" deposits before X date, I am assuming that it is. And if it is, wouldn't that mean that if you had a full=tuition scholarship at said school, you wouldn't be obligated to pay the deposits?

Lastly, if all of my assumptions are correct, how would one go about reserving a seat without paying?

Thanks in advance.


Yes, the seat deposit is part of Tuition and fees. I would think that you'd still need to pay the deposit. They'll just go towards to other fees outside of not tuition. If your scholarship covers everything (Tuition and fees), you'll just get a refund.


For all my full-tuition scholarships (UVA, Berkeley, Michigan, and Texas) you dont pay the deposit. You just sign the enrollment or scholarship sheet and it counts as both your commitment to the school and acceptance of the scholarship.

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LAWLAW09 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:04 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
$42,800. That includes a $2,500 minimum student contribution from summer income.



Thanks TK

miracle2011 wrote:Law school cycle over, Berkeley is giving me $130,000!!!!!!!!!



Congrats!! Was it a matching scholly??

((be honest, it was the house party that sealed the deal wasn't it? lol)

User avatar
Zabini
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Zabini » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:04 am

miracle2011 wrote:Law school cycle over, Berkeley is giving me $130,000!!!!!!!!!


Congratulations! That's an incredible offer, very well done!

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:12 am

tkgrrett wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:This may be a dumb question but I can't find the answer through "search forum." My question: is the seat deposit part of tuition? Since my letter says we require 2 "tuition" deposits before X date, I am assuming that it is. And if it is, wouldn't that mean that if you had a full=tuition scholarship at said school, you wouldn't be obligated to pay the deposits?

Lastly, if all of my assumptions are correct, how would one go about reserving a seat without paying?

Thanks in advance.


Yes, the seat deposit is part of Tuition and fees. I would think that you'd still need to pay the deposit. They'll just go towards to other fees outside of not tuition. If your scholarship covers everything (Tuition and fees), you'll just get a refund.


For all my full-tuition scholarships (UVA, Berkeley, Michigan, and Texas) you dont pay the deposit. You just sign the enrollment or scholarship sheet and it counts as both your commitment to the school and acceptance of the scholarship.


Thanks, that's what I needed to hear.

miracle2011
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby miracle2011 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:26 am

LAWLAW09 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
$42,800. That includes a $2,500 minimum student contribution from summer income.



Thanks TK

miracle2011 wrote:Law school cycle over, Berkeley is giving me $130,000!!!!!!!!!



Congrats!! Was it a matching scholly??

((be honest, it was the house party that sealed the deal wasn't it? lol)


It was a matching scholarship, plus another scholarship which gave me full tuition my 1st year (the house party was legit though)

User avatar
Zabini
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Zabini » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:21 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Zabini wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Zabini wrote:Just thought I'd come in and post that I'm in at Columbia! First t14 acceptance and OH MY what a big one!


Wow!!

I think you mean your first t6 acceptance :) Congrats <3

Who else are you waiting to hear from?


Haha, thanks :) Only waiting on Harvard, Georgetown and UCLA


When did you apply to schools?


I was an absurdly late applicant, 1/30-2/1 for most schools, 2/7 or 2/8 for Columbia (I initially wasn't going to apply, only did because they sent me a late fee waiver LOL), a bit later for Yale and Vanderbilt.

And I very much hope to meet the rest of you guys if I wind up going...still crossing my fingers and holding out hope for Harvard though :).

Is anyone going to the "Monday at Columbia" on the 18th or did anyone go to a previous one? I'm debating if its worth it to pick up another absence from my Research Methods class :-/

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:44 am

miracle2011 wrote:Law school cycle over, Berkeley is giving me $130,000!!!!!!!!!


Absurdly awesome. Congrats!!!!! :mrgreen:

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:23 am

BlaqBella wrote:
miracle2011 wrote:Law school cycle over, Berkeley is giving me $130,000!!!!!!!!!


Absurdly awesome. Congrats!!!!! :mrgreen:


+1

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:22 am

miracle2011 wrote:
LAWLAW09 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
$42,800. That includes a $2,500 minimum student contribution from summer income.



Thanks TK

miracle2011 wrote:Law school cycle over, Berkeley is giving me $130,000!!!!!!!!!



Congrats!! Was it a matching scholly??

((be honest, it was the house party that sealed the deal wasn't it? lol)


It was a matching scholarship, plus another scholarship which gave me full tuition my 1st year (the house party was legit though)


Congrats homie!!!

elm84dr
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby elm84dr » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:32 am

Cycle done! Decision Rendered: BU Law with a FULL ride and 20K stipend per year, no stips!

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LLB2JD » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:14 pm

elm84dr wrote:Cycle done! Decision Rendered: BU Law with a FULL ride and 20K stipend per year, no stips!



Damn...Congrats

User avatar
mfeller2
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby mfeller2 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:15 pm

Congrats to everyone that got into their dream schools and good luck to those still waiting. I'll be in Texas next year for basically free. Decision made, seat deposited. Good luck!

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:19 pm

mfeller2 wrote:Congrats to everyone that got into their dream schools and good luck to those still waiting. I'll be in Texas next year for basically free. Decision made, seat deposited. Good luck!


Congrats!

Also, +1 to everything you said except I'll be in Charlottesville!

User avatar
mfeller2
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby mfeller2 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:46 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
mfeller2 wrote:Congrats to everyone that got into their dream schools and good luck to those still waiting. I'll be in Texas next year for basically free. Decision made, seat deposited. Good luck!


Congrats!

Also, +1 to everything you said except I'll be in Charlottesville!


Thanks! Have fun in CVille. Wish they would've accepted me. tear. lol I think I'll like Austin though. :)

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:03 pm

mfeller2 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
mfeller2 wrote:Congrats to everyone that got into their dream schools and good luck to those still waiting. I'll be in Texas next year for basically free. Decision made, seat deposited. Good luck!


Congrats!

Also, +1 to everything you said except I'll be in Charlottesville!


Thanks! Have fun in CVille. Wish they would've accepted me. tear. lol I think I'll like Austin though. :)


From what I've heard, Austin is an amazing city. I think it may be even more amazing if you are there to attend a t14 law school basically for free! :D

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Am I the only one left who hasn't deposited somewhere?

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby subtle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:48 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Am I the only one left who hasn't deposited somewhere?


Nope. Me. When are you doing it?

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:53 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Am I the only one left who hasn't deposited somewhere?


Right here, brah. You know what I'm waiting for though.

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:58 pm

.
Last edited by jd20132013 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest