URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
yngblkgifted

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:05 pm

law_monkey wrote:Did you check the actual commitment requirements at UVA? I committed to NYU last week, and I double checked the commitment agreement I had to sign. I only had to withdraw from every school where I had an offer or waitlist. So my Harvard app is still open. It might be the same at UVA where you can keep your app in at SLS until you get an admit/WL from them.

Thanks. I was worried because scholarship money was involved, but I will check.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:08 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Did you check the actual commitment requirements at UVA? I committed to NYU last week, and I double checked the commitment agreement I had to sign. I only had to withdraw from every school where I had an offer or waitlist. So my Harvard app is still open. It might be the same at UVA where you can keep your app in at SLS until you get an admit/WL from them.

Yeah just make sure you read over everything to make sure.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:10 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:

Below is UVA's position on double depositing. Hope it helps.

Moreover, please note that after May 16 at 5:00 pm (Eastern), the Law School reserves the right to cancel the matriculation of any admitted student who is reserving seats in both our entering class and the entering class of another law school. We discourage such “double-depositing” prior to May 16, but prohibit it after that date, barring exceptional circumstances. If you believe you have exceptional circumstances that merit double-depositing after May 16, you must contact us prior to 5:00 pm (Eastern) on May 16 to obtain permission to remain deposited at both schools.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:16 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

Moreover, please note that after May 16 at 5:00 pm (Eastern), the Law School reserves the right to cancel the matriculation of any admitted student who is reserving seats in both our entering class and the entering class of another law school. We discourage such “double-depositing” prior to May 16, but prohibit it after that date, barring exceptional circumstances. If you believe you have exceptional circumstances that merit double-depositing after May 16, you must contact us prior to 5:00 pm (Eastern) on May 16 to obtain permission to remain deposited at both schools.

Thanks homie. I highly doubt my Stanford's decision will be positive anyway but this info really makes me feel better about depositing at UVA. Looking forward to meeting you this August in C-ville!

kdubb513

Postby kdubb513 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Chicago vs Stanford vs Columbia for me. Honestly I am favoring Chicago. I grew up in the Midwest and I like it. I'm not sure if Stanford, while a great school, will offer me anything more substantial than Chicago. I am keeping my options open because I am not sure of what kind of law I want to practice. I am not sure if I will make it to Stanford before I have to decide. Anyone have any insight?

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:46 pm

I know it's still "early" but judging by the TLS Class of 2014 thread, UVA and Michigan are picking off a lot of TLSers.

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Just thought I'd post my results for future TLSers:

Stanford - still no response (either they're still reviewing or I'm just so far out of their league they just threw my app away)
Columbia - reserve
Penn - out
Berkeley - waitlist
Michigan - out
Virginia - out
Duke - waitlist
Cornell - IN ($25k/yr.)
Georgetown - dinged
USC - IN ($25k/yr.) <-- Attending! (just made the decision last week)
UC Davis - IN
ASU - IN
USD - IN ($23k/yr.)

pm if you have questions/want stats. Good luck to all future law applicants! Use this site wisely - it will help you out-, but don't get caught up in its craziness. Horchata, out.

(btw, try some Horchata if you've had it - it's the bomb.)

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:52 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:I know it's still "early" but judging by the TLS Class of 2014 thread, UVA and Michigan are picking off a lot of TLSers.

Yes sir. Are you any close to a decision?

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:54 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

Thanks homie. I highly doubt my Stanford's decision will be positive anyway but this info really makes me feel better about depositing at UVA. Looking forward to meeting you this August in C-ville!

Great decision :) See you in the fall.

P.S. I'll advice that you start checking out housing too.

timmna

Postby timmna » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks law_monkey--I'm very excited! Wish you the best at NYU!

I know, Non! I guess that's what comes of your east coast bias.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:32 pm

I posted this in a forum earlier, but I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions.

I'm an AA male, 3.65/156 and I was admitted to UVA. It was a huge reach and I was pumped when I got the call. Although I knew I would end up paying sticker, actually seeing the 70k in loans made me sick. I really don't have an interest in biglaw, I want to do PI. I know the LARP system is good, but the debt still scares me. I recently applied for the MTO Fellows program, which is an SEO type program where one works for the firm Munger, Tolles, and Olson for a year (June-June). The firm is in LA, pays a salary of 32,000 and also pays for an LSAT prep program. As mentioned before, I don't have an interest in biglaw, but the pay and other benefits would be nice. The program might even spark my interest in biglaw.

I was thinking I could defer my enrollment at UVA, do the program, retake the LSAT, and hope they give me merit aid, or decline my UVA offer, do the program, retake the LSAT, and see what next cycle brings me.

I'm confident I can do better on the LSAT, but there's still that voice in my heading saying what if I don't do better and throw away a t10 acceptance.

Also, FWIW, I'm 22 and graduating UG this May.

What are your thoughts? UVA this fall? Defer, do the program, and go to UVA next year? Decline my UVA offer, do the program, and start all over again? I've tried to give the relavant information, but if I've missed something, just ask for it.

Thanks in advance everyone.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:31 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:I posted this in a forum earlier, but I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions.

I'm an AA male, 3.65/156 and I was admitted to UVA. It was a huge reach and I was pumped when I got the call. Although I knew I would end up paying sticker, actually seeing the 70k in loans made me sick. I really don't have an interest in biglaw, I want to do PI. I know the LARP system is good, but the debt still scares me. I recently applied for the MTO Fellows program, which is an SEO type program where one works for the firm Munger, Tolles, and Olson for a year (June-June). The firm is in LA, pays a salary of 32,000 and also pays for an LSAT prep program. As mentioned before, I don't have an interest in biglaw, but the pay and other benefits would be nice. The program might even spark my interest in biglaw.

I was thinking I could defer my enrollment at UVA, do the program, retake the LSAT, and hope they give me merit aid, or decline my UVA offer, do the program, retake the LSAT, and see what next cycle brings me.

I'm confident I can do better on the LSAT, but there's still that voice in my heading saying what if I don't do better and throw away a t10 acceptance.

What are your thoughts? UVA this fall? Defer, do the program, and go to UVA next year? Decline my UVA offer, do the program, and start all over again? I've tried to give the relavant information, but if I've missed something, just ask for it.

The question is: how much did you prep for the 156? If you feel like you could have done a lot better, I'd say retake. If not, don't pass up UVA.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:02 am

timmna wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:So, visited SLS for ASW, almost completely sold at this point. Gonna wait a few days but its looking like that's where I'll be.

got WL at Yale so I'll see what happens there but I think I would probably go SLS over Yale now

+1

I know I'm a little late to the party but +2. Looks like I'll be at SLS in the fall. Hope to see you guys there!

Congrats folks!! Anyone care to share what they loved about the school? How was ASW?

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:45 pm

Just thought I'd come in and post that I'm in at Columbia! First t14 acceptance and OH MY what a big one!

Postby 20121109 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:47 pm

Zabini wrote:Just thought I'd come in and post that I'm in at Columbia! First t14 acceptance and OH MY what a big one!

Wow!!

I think you mean your first t6 acceptance :) Congrats <3

Who else are you waiting to hear from?

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:05 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:I posted this in a forum earlier, but I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions.

Wow bro I thought you were done and seat deposited. I think that you have to realize that you are 22 and I am a totally different person now than I was then, hence going to law school in my 30's. I mention this to tell you that UVA gives you great options if you decide to go big law later or out of law school and that debt is dissolved in a few years. Did you find out if they will reward success after your first year? Forget about the ranking for a second UVA is a GREAT school and the alumni reaches far. I wouldn't defer I'd take my butt to UVA this fall and make it happen. I hope this helps

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:10 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Zabini wrote:Just thought I'd come in and post that I'm in at Columbia! First t14 acceptance and OH MY what a big one!

Wow!!

Haha, thanks :) Only waiting on Harvard, Georgetown and UCLA

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:11 pm

Zabini wrote:

Wow!!

FTFY.

Postby 20121109 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:11 pm

Zabini wrote:

Wow!!

When did you apply to schools?

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:32 pm

I know this thread had a couple of folks considering Harvard. Anybody have a COA estimate for Harvard even with the max need aid award?

(fyi: headed to do a search now)

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:56 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:I know this thread had a couple of folks considering Harvard. Anybody have a COA estimate for Harvard even with the max need aid award?

(fyi: headed to do a search now)

$42,800. That includes a $2,500 minimum student contribution from summer income.

Kaitlyn

Postby Kaitlyn » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Last edited by Kaitlyn on Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Kaitlyn wrote:

Congratulations, Zabini! Maybe I'll see you there. :)

+1

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:26 pm

This may be a dumb question but I can't find the answer through "search forum." My question: is the seat deposit part of tuition? Since my letter says we require 2 "tuition" deposits before X date, I am assuming that it is. And if it is, wouldn't that mean that if you had a full=tuition scholarship at said school, you wouldn't be obligated to pay the deposits?

Lastly, if all of my assumptions are correct, how would one go about reserving a seat without paying?

Thanks in advance.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:29 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:This may be a dumb question but I can't find the answer through "search forum." My question: is the seat deposit part of tuition? Since my letter says we require 2 "tuition" deposits before X date, I am assuming that it is. And if it is, wouldn't that mean that if you had a full=tuition scholarship at said school, you wouldn't be obligated to pay the deposits?

Lastly, if all of my assumptions are correct, how would one go about reserving a seat without paying?

Thanks in advance.

Seat deposits reduce your tuition by that much, yes.

I would assume for those with a full tuition scholarship that you are still required to pay the seat deposit, but then are refunded once the school year starts. I would contact the school to verify.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”