URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby subtle » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:30 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
Kaitlyn wrote:Yeah, I got the sense that other peer institutions perhaps serve PI people better than Chicago. I'm interested in corporate transactional work, and, preferably, starting my career in NYC, so Columbia seems like the no brainer. I think it will just have to come down to finances in the end. Columbia gave me a fairly generous award, Chicago less so, and I don't see Chicago matching Columbia's offer, but I'm currently negotiating so we'll see.

Where are you headed?

CLS most likely and subtle stop telling to come to CLS like you'll be there any point in the next year.


Whatever. I'll be there the year after. We'll be buddies. But not if you don't go. *glares*

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby jd20132013 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:48 am

So, visited SLS for ASW, almost completely sold at this point. Gonna wait a few days but its looking like that's where I'll be.

got WL at Yale so I'll see what happens there but I think I would probably go SLS over Yale now

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby dkt4 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:09 am

who were you??? ahhhhhh!

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LAWLAW09 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:30 am

"Most legal work maintains systems of maldistribution, it does not transform them."

http://www.deanspade.net/wp-content/upl ... v-2010.pdf

CrashingTheGate
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby CrashingTheGate » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:09 am

jd20132013 wrote:So, visited SLS for ASW, almost completely sold at this point. Gonna wait a few days but its looking like that's where I'll be.

got WL at Yale so I'll see what happens there but I think I would probably go SLS over Yale now



Yea, wow! What an amazing weekend! I'll see you there in August. :)

User avatar
NikaneOkie
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby NikaneOkie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:39 pm

jd20132013 wrote:So, visited SLS for ASW, almost completely sold at this point. Gonna wait a few days but its looking like that's where I'll be.

got WL at Yale so I'll see what happens there but I think I would probably go SLS over Yale now


+1

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:49 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:"Most legal work maintains systems of maldistribution, it does not transform them."

http://www.deanspade.net/wp-content/upl ... v-2010.pdf


Is there a point to this?

I'm pretty sure that most of TLS realizes that if you actually want to "help people," then being a lawyer is one of the least effective ways to do this.

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LAWLAW09 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:35 pm

bk1 wrote:
LAWLAW09 wrote:"Most legal work maintains systems of maldistribution, it does not transform them."

http://www.deanspade.net/wp-content/upl ... v-2010.pdf


Is there a point to this?

I'm pretty sure that most of TLS realizes that if you actually want to "help people," then being a lawyer is one of the least effective ways to do this.


A point to me posting it? Or, a point to the author writing that article?

Your question isn't exactly clear. I'll tell you this though: I'm not concerned with most of TLS. I posted it b/c I wanted to share the article in the URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle thread. :)

Kaitlyn
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Kaitlyn » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:50 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
LAWLAW09 wrote:"Most legal work maintains systems of maldistribution, it does not transform them."

http://www.deanspade.net/wp-content/upl ... v-2010.pdf


Is there a point to this?

I'm pretty sure that most of TLS realizes that if you actually want to "help people," then being a lawyer is one of the least effective ways to do this.


A point to me posting it? Or, a point to the author writing that article?

Your question isn't exactly clear. I'll tell you this though: I'm not concerned with most of TLS. I posted it b/c I wanted to share the article in the URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle thread. :)


And thanks for doing so. I passed this article along to several friends considering PI legal work- and I think it explains some of the inherent difficulties better than any other article I've come across.

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LAWLAW09 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Kaitlyn wrote:
And thanks for doing so. I passed this article along to several friends considering PI legal work- and I think it explains some of the inherent difficulties better than any other article I've come across.


Np. Thanks for passing it on.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:45 pm

I thought it was a good article too. Ignore him...he's just a grumpy dude in general. I skimmed it but I will read it more indepth later. I do kind of get what's being said about lawyers don't exactly change the existing legal structure, but enforce it. So if one is looking to bring about far-reaching change by being a lawyer...it may not be the best route.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:53 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:I thought it was a good article too. Ignore him...he's just a grumpy dude in general. I skimmed it but I will read it more indepth later. I do kind of get what's being said about lawyers don't exactly change the existing legal structure, but enforce it. So if one is looking to bring about far-reaching change by being a lawyer...it may not be the best route.


My point was regarding the quote, not the posting of the article. My point was that there seemed to be a subtext to the post (lawyering is a bad idea for fixing world hunger) but that subtext was something that should be obvious already.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:55 pm

bk1 wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:I thought it was a good article too. Ignore him...he's just a grumpy dude in general. I skimmed it but I will read it more indepth later. I do kind of get what's being said about lawyers don't exactly change the existing legal structure, but enforce it. So if one is looking to bring about far-reaching change by being a lawyer...it may not be the best route.


My point was regarding the quote, not the posting of the article. My point was that there seemed to be a subtext to the post (lawyering is a bad idea for fixing world hunger) but that subtext was something that should be obvious already.


Agreed and I was not a fan of that article being posted in here either.

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LAWLAW09 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:01 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:I thought it was a good article too. Ignore him...he's just a grumpy dude in general. I skimmed it but I will read it more indepth later. I do kind of get what's being said about lawyers don't exactly change the existing legal structure, but enforce it. So if one is looking to bring about far-reaching change by being a lawyer...it may not be the best route.


My point was regarding the quote, not the posting of the article. My point was that there seemed to be a subtext to the post (lawyering is a bad idea for fixing world hunger) but that subtext was something that should be obvious already.


Agreed and I was not a fan of that article being posted in here either.


I have no objections to you re-posting it in a thread that would please you. :D

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby dkt4 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:01 am

i had no problem with the article being posted, but it seemed like a pretty awful analysis of legal education riddled with an almost unbelievable amount of ignorance regarding social change/transformation.

then again, i guess it's opinion...but that doesn't make it any more right.

in the end, the only thing the article actually said was..."most lawyers do not make meaningful social change." you just just as easily replace the word 'lawyers' with 'people' and the article wouldn't change at all. hell, replace 'law school' with 'school' and you have the same thing, but instead you're advocating against getting any education whatsoever (i guess the financial points were valid).

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:10 am

After paying full attention....that article was posted another forum on here before and it sucks. It really almost talked down to us.

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LAWLAW09 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:14 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:After paying full attention....that article was posted another forum on here before and it sucks. It really almost talked down to us.


who's "us?" lawyers? urms?

and how so?



nvm. I'd much rather (and it sounds like you would too) read about where folks are going to school.

If anyone else is interested in reading a seemingly less condescending paper on how legal education is a reproducer of hierarchy. Here's an article by Harvard professor Duncan Kennedy. It's one chapter that focuses on the "initial first-year experience, the ideological content of the law school curriculum, and the noncurricular practices of law schools that train students to accept and participate in the hierarchical structure of life in the law." While it's presented much differently than the previous article, I think the message isn't too different and it provides specifics and a context that some TLSers might read as less confrontational.

"The problem is not whether hierarchy is there, but how to understand it, and what its implications are for political action." - Kennedy

http://duncankennedy.net/documents/Lega ... %20Law.pdf
Last edited by LAWLAW09 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Alltheirsplendor
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:29 am

*Nervously adjusts shirt collar*

So... Has anyone decided what they're gonna do about gettin' on the Yale waitlist? *nervous laughter*

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby timmna » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:37 am

NikaneOkie wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:So, visited SLS for ASW, almost completely sold at this point. Gonna wait a few days but its looking like that's where I'll be.

got WL at Yale so I'll see what happens there but I think I would probably go SLS over Yale now


+1


I know I'm a little late to the party but +2. Looks like I'll be at SLS in the fall. Hope to see you guys there!

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby law_monkey » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:57 am

timmna wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:So, visited SLS for ASW, almost completely sold at this point. Gonna wait a few days but its looking like that's where I'll be.

got WL at Yale so I'll see what happens there but I think I would probably go SLS over Yale now


+1


I know I'm a little late to the party but +2. Looks like I'll be at SLS in the fall. Hope to see you guys there!


CONGRATULATIONS TIMMNA!!!! So happy for you!!! :D

miracle2011
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby miracle2011 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:02 pm

Just got wait listed at Stanford (which is a miracle with my numbers)!

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:55 pm

timmna wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:So, visited SLS for ASW, almost completely sold at this point. Gonna wait a few days but its looking like that's where I'll be.

got WL at Yale so I'll see what happens there but I think I would probably go SLS over Yale now


+1


I know I'm a little late to the party but +2. Looks like I'll be at SLS in the fall. Hope to see you guys there!

Guess I was wrong :cry:

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:00 pm

miracle2011 wrote:Just got wait listed at Stanford (which is a miracle with my numbers)!


Congrats man!


Question for the general thread population:

I am pretty much committed to UVA at this point BUT I have yet to hear from Stanford. I would like to deposit at UVA sooner rather than later, but I don't want to just withdraw from Stanford without knowing my decision. Another factor to consider is my need to let SEO know where I am depositing. Should I contact Stanford, and just be like "c'mon, y'all gotta let me know something"?

I need some type of closure before I commit anywhere.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:02 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:I need some type of closure, before I commit anywhere.


Just deposit at UVa and stay on the waitlist at Stanford. Accept that you are going to have to wait it out.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby law_monkey » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Did you check the actual commitment requirements at UVA? I committed to NYU last week, and I double checked the commitment agreement I had to sign. I only had to withdraw from every school where I had an offer or waitlist. So my Harvard app is still open. It might be the same at UVA where you can keep your app in at SLS until you get an admit/WL from them.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest