URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Kaitlyn
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Kaitlyn » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:52 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
subtle wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I got WLed at Yale. I'm going to wait it out.


+1.

I am actually incredibly honored to be waitlisted!

Edit: Now I will celebrate while I'm in Cali.


+1

But I have no HLS or SLS to fall back on so I fear this may be some kind of joke at my expense. :lol: Time to get that CLS deposit in...

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:40 pm

Top14dreams wrote:In at Cornell :D ...dreams do come true ;)


congrats!

kdubb513
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby kdubb513 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:47 pm

Dinged at Yale but in at Stanford on the same day!!!!! I really can't believe it because I expected to be shut out of the T6. My cycle is almost over and I have no clue where I am going yet.

In:
Stanford
Columbia
University of Chicago
Duke
Cornell
Texas
Vanderbilt
Boston Unviersity
Emory
WUSTL
Ohio State

Rejected:
Yale

Waitlisted:
Michigan
Penn
UVA
Northwestern

Haven't Heard:
Harvard
NYU

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Great cycle and congrats on Stanford. You earned it. Do you know $$ yet?

kdubb513 wrote:Dinged at Yale but in at Stanford on the same day!!!!! I really can't believe it because I expected to be shut out of the T6. My cycle is almost over and I have no clue where I am going yet.

In:
Stanford
Columbia
University of Chicago
Duke
Cornell
Texas
Vanderbilt
Boston Unviersity
Emory
WUSTL
Ohio State

Rejected:
Yale

Waitlisted:
Michigan
Penn
UVA
Northwestern


Haven't Heard:
Harvard
NYU

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:52 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:WL at Michigan. I've already decided where I'm going to go but it still sucks to get waitlisted. That's my 5th one along with UCLA, Vandy, Duke and Chicago.

Dude you're getting into ALL of the right places. I'd trade your cycle for mine any day! haha

If you really want, I will give you my Chicago acceptance and I'll go to Cambridge.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:57 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:WL at Michigan. I've already decided where I'm going to go but it still sucks to get waitlisted. That's my 5th one along with UCLA, Vandy, Duke and Chicago.

Dude you're getting into ALL of the right places. I'd trade your cycle for mine any day! haha

If you really want, I will give you my Chicago acceptance and I'll go to Cambridge.


lol, yeah I know and I don't want any sympathy or anything I'm just further proof that URM cycles are hard to predict.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby subtle » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:31 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:WL at Michigan. I've already decided where I'm going to go but it still sucks to get waitlisted. That's my 5th one along with UCLA, Vandy, Duke and Chicago.

Dude you're getting into ALL of the right places. I'd trade your cycle for mine any day! haha

If you really want, I will give you my Chicago acceptance and I'll go to Cambridge.


lol, yeah I know and I don't want any sympathy or anything I'm just further proof that URM cycles are hard to predict.



Soooooooo hard to predict. I got rejected at GW but accepted at GULC? Accepted at CLS but WLed at Penn? Rejected at Harvard but WLed at Yale? What a crazy cycle. Congrats to everyone and here's to it being almost over.

Also, Kaitlyn, +1 on CLS.

kdubb513
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby kdubb513 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:18 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:Great cycle and congrats on Stanford. You earned it. Do you know $$ yet?

kdubb513 wrote:Dinged at Yale but in at Stanford on the same day!!!!! I really can't believe it because I expected to be shut out of the T6. My cycle is almost over and I have no clue where I am going yet.

In:
Stanford
Columbia
University of Chicago
Duke
Cornell
Texas
Vanderbilt
Boston Unviersity
Emory
WUSTL
Ohio State

Rejected:
Yale

Waitlisted:
Michigan
Penn
UVA
Northwestern


Haven't Heard:
Harvard
NYU



Nothing yet on scholarship $$$ except 21k over 3 years at Chicago which is not enough to influence my decision. If all schools are sticker or close to it, which I think they will be, I will probably choose Stanford.

abg
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby abg » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:40 pm

I haven't been that active on TLS, but looking through this thread has been great, glad to see so many people with such great cycles. I'll be at NYU, hope to see some of you there. Best of luck to everyone

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LAWLAW09 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:04 pm

abg wrote:I haven't been that active on TLS, but looking through this thread has been great, glad to see so many people with such great cycles. I'll be at NYU, hope to see some of you there. Best of luck to everyone



Congrats. NYU seems to be stealing quite a few folks as of late. Haven't really seen anyone commit to Columbia yet.


You have a LSN profile or mind sharing stats/urm status/gender?

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:37 pm

The only thing that I regret about this thread is that we won't all be at the same school next year. I know that was kind of chessey but never have I felt closer to a bunch of strangers. lol. Congrats to everyone who has made a decision. Mine is imminent!

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby dkt4 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:53 am

i'm oddly curious at putting real faces to names haha

elm84dr
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby elm84dr » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:55 am

Decision time between BU full-ride with 20K stipend and Cornell $100,000 (well actually 99,000 after receving my BU award they upped my package $9,000).

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:15 am

elm84dr wrote:Decision time between BU full-ride with 20K stipend and Cornell $100,000 (well actually 99,000 after receving my BU award they upped my package $9,000).


Those are great options you've got. In your shoes, I'd b going with Cornell, but one could certainly understand why you'd go with BU especially if you don't mind staying behind in Boston after law school.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:59 am

dkt4 wrote:i'm oddly curious at putting real faces to names haha


+1
I'm oddly curious at putting real faces to avatars :)

Kaitlyn
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Kaitlyn » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:32 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
dkt4 wrote:i'm oddly curious at putting real faces to names haha


+1
I'm oddly curious at putting real faces to avatars :)


Umm, y'all know I look like Kerry Washington, right?!?!

Now, I'm torn. Flew out to see Chicago this past week and LOVED it. I want to work in NYC, but Chicago seems like a better fit...

Congratulations to everyone on their cycles though! I'm so proud of you all and could not have gotten through this process without the support of this thread. You all rock beyond all measure. 8)

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Kaitlyn wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
dkt4 wrote:i'm oddly curious at putting real faces to names haha


+1
I'm oddly curious at putting real faces to avatars :)


Umm, y'all know I look like Kerry Washington, right?!?!

Now, I'm torn. Flew out to see Chicago this past week and LOVED it. I want to work in NYC, but Chicago seems like a better fit...

Congratulations to everyone on their cycles though! I'm so proud of you all and could not have gotten through this process without the support of this thread. You all rock beyond all measure. 8)



Oh..hello there

Kaitlyn
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Kaitlyn » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:52 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
Kaitlyn wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
dkt4 wrote:i'm oddly curious at putting real faces to names haha


+1
I'm oddly curious at putting real faces to avatars :)


Umm, y'all know I look like Kerry Washington, right?!?!

Now, I'm torn. Flew out to see Chicago this past week and LOVED it. I want to work in NYC, but Chicago seems like a better fit...

Congratulations to everyone on their cycles though! I'm so proud of you all and could not have gotten through this process without the support of this thread. You all rock beyond all measure. 8)




Oh..hello there



Hahaha, I was heavily active in this thread at the beginning, though my posts dropped off a bit January onwards as my cycle slowed down. I've been peaking in every now and again to check in on you guys, though. :wink:

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:59 pm

I think we all slowed down. But I can see why you would like Chi and if their LRAP and PI were better I'd be seriously considering it. I don't know what I'll do for sure but Chi doesn't really have that much support for PI people.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby subtle » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:I think we all slowed down. But I can see why you would like Chi and if their LRAP and PI were better I'd be seriously considering it. I don't know what I'll do for sure but Chi doesn't really have that much support for PI people.


Bring your ass to CLS. Then maybe you'll finally meet up with me for drinks.


P.S. How was your paper?

Kaitlyn
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Kaitlyn » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:09 pm

Yeah, I got the sense that other peer institutions perhaps serve PI people better than Chicago. I'm interested in corporate transactional work, and, preferably, starting my career in NYC, so Columbia seems like the no brainer. I think it will just have to come down to finances in the end. Columbia gave me a fairly generous award, Chicago less so, and I don't see Chicago matching Columbia's offer, but I'm currently negotiating so we'll see.

Where are you headed?

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:26 pm

I'll like to keep in touch with folks on here. So if anyone is interested you could pm me to facebook me or something like that..

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Kaitlyn wrote:Yeah, I got the sense that other peer institutions perhaps serve PI people better than Chicago. I'm interested in corporate transactional work, and, preferably, starting my career in NYC, so Columbia seems like the no brainer. I think it will just have to come down to finances in the end. Columbia gave me a fairly generous award, Chicago less so, and I don't see Chicago matching Columbia's offer, but I'm currently negotiating so we'll see.

Where are you headed?

CLS most likely and subtle stop telling to come to CLS like you'll be there any point in the next year.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby law_monkey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:57 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
Kaitlyn wrote:Yeah, I got the sense that other peer institutions perhaps serve PI people better than Chicago. I'm interested in corporate transactional work, and, preferably, starting my career in NYC, so Columbia seems like the no brainer. I think it will just have to come down to finances in the end. Columbia gave me a fairly generous award, Chicago less so, and I don't see Chicago matching Columbia's offer, but I'm currently negotiating so we'll see.

Where are you headed?

CLS NYU most likely.

FTFY teeheehee! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:03 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:
Kaitlyn wrote:Yeah, I got the sense that other peer institutions perhaps serve PI people better than Chicago. I'm interested in corporate transactional work, and, preferably, starting my career in NYC, so Columbia seems like the no brainer. I think it will just have to come down to finances in the end. Columbia gave me a fairly generous award, Chicago less so, and I don't see Chicago matching Columbia's offer, but I'm currently negotiating so we'll see.

Where are you headed?

CLS NYU most likely.

FTFY teeheehee! :mrgreen:

That too lol




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest