URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jd20132013

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby jd20132013 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:38 pm

Seems like a lot of URM in this topic are choosing not to attend Yale.

Yale, that means you should admit me to replace them :lol:

Just withdrew from Berkeley...crazy to see that I'm officially down to 4 schools.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Thomas happens to be the most visible and prominent example of internalized racism in government.

There's plenty of other reasons to dislike him, but I feel as though that is probably sufficient.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:22 pm

chrissyc wrote:I am so happy the decision is basically set...I love nyu and love the city. I couldn't be happier. How is everyone else doing with deciding?

I'm dead set on NYU now. The PI community is too strong to pass up. Don't know about money yet, but I'm just going to cross my fingers that I'll still get a substantial amount without either of the named ones. Loving the NYU law sweatshirt I bought today too! :D

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:26 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:The Justice Thomas hate is a bit much. He's a conservative Justice. If you are more liberal and feel the constitution offers redress for every injury then that's fine, but understand that 4 other Justices agreed with his viewpoint on the case with only one concurrence.

You really think I don't like JT because he's conservative... I dislike him because he's worthless, his opinions are by far the worst on the bench and he stands for nothing. Scalia is conservative and strict constitutionlist but I don't dislike him in fact I'm more conservative in my political leaning (not republican just a conservative leaning independant). The fact that he is the only "black voice" on the bench is just sad in my opinion. But don't take my word that JT is useless lets see what some other people have to say.

The New York Times recently noted that Tuesday of this week will mark the five year anniversary since Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has spoken during a case. Not only has Justice Thomas not spoken at all while hearing court arguments for the past five years; Thomas has also spent this lengthy period of silence "leaning back in his chair, staring at the ceiling, rubbing his eyes, whispering to Justice Stephen G. Breyer, consulting papers and looking a little irritated and a little bored." (The New York Times)

First, there was the fact that Thomas, whose wife has earned almost $700,000 for--as far as I can tell--being his wife, finds government disclosure forms so difficult to fill out that he accidentally put $0 where $700,000 was supposed to be under "spousal income." (cliff schecter)

When asked to comment on Clarence Thomas as a possible replacement for William Rehnquist, Reid told NBC's "Meet the Press": "I think that he has been an embarrassment to the Supreme Court. I think that his opinions are poorly written. I just don't think that he's done a good job as a Supreme Court justice."

The man has been silent on the bench for 5 yrs (no other justice has even been silent for a session), he's attended fundraising activities that bring the impartiality of court into question, he lied about his wifes finances and he did not recuse himself when there were obvious conflicts of interests. Not to mention he doesn't have an original thought in his head. hopefully that explains my feelings about JT.

This.
Honestly, I don't like JT because I think he is a bad justice, not because he is conservative and continuously votes anti-minority.

agreed.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:19 pm

nevermind. good luck people.
Last edited by Doritos on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:29 pm

Let's please get back to this thread's original purpose, so I don't have to intervene or anything like that. Thanks.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:39 pm

I agree with Doritos' post, personally I admire Justice Thomas' consistency, although I don't always agree with his conservative views. It is odd to see a split in the African-American community I come from, where people either admire or vilify Thomas.

Congrats to everyone making their school decisions! Too bad not many of you are coming to Cambridge :(

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:52 am

Actually, scratch what I wrote earlier. I'm going to apologize for intervening. It's well-intentioned, but I'll admit I can be a little too quick to jump in some times. Sorry about that. Please carry on as you were.

Postby 20121109 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:00 am

DeeCee wrote:
socraticmethodman wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:The Justice Thomas hate is a bit much. He's a conservative Justice. If you are more liberal and feel the constitution offers redress for every injury then that's fine, but understand that 4 other Justices agreed with his viewpoint on the case with only one concurrence.

You really think I don't like JT because he's conservative... I dislike him because he's worthless, his opinions are by far the worst on the bench and he stands for nothing. Scalia is conservative and strict constitutionlist but I don't dislike him in fact I'm more conservative in my political leaning (not republican just a conservative leaning independant). The fact that he is the only "black voice" on the bench is just sad in my opinion. But don't take my word that JT is useless lets see what some other people have to say.

The New York Times recently noted that Tuesday of this week will mark the five year anniversary since Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has spoken during a case. Not only has Justice Thomas not spoken at all while hearing court arguments for the past five years; Thomas has also spent this lengthy period of silence "leaning back in his chair, staring at the ceiling, rubbing his eyes, whispering to Justice Stephen G. Breyer, consulting papers and looking a little irritated and a little bored." (The New York Times)

First, there was the fact that Thomas, whose wife has earned almost $700,000 for--as far as I can tell--being his wife, finds government disclosure forms so difficult to fill out that he accidentally put $0 where $700,000 was supposed to be under "spousal income." (cliff schecter)

When asked to comment on Clarence Thomas as a possible replacement for William Rehnquist, Reid told NBC's "Meet the Press": "I think that he has been an embarrassment to the Supreme Court. I think that his opinions are poorly written. I just don't think that he's done a good job as a Supreme Court justice."

The man has been silent on the bench for 5 yrs (no other justice has even been silent for a session), he's attended fundraising activities that bring the impartiality of court into question, he lied about his wifes finances and he did not recuse himself when there were obvious conflicts of interests. Not to mention he doesn't have an original thought in his head. hopefully that explains my feelings about JT.

This.
Honestly, I don't like JT because I think he is a bad justice, not because he is conservative and continuously votes anti-minority.

agreed.

He continuously votes anti-minority? Can you give me some examples please? What is his rationale behind this? :)

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:29 am

ksimon2007 wrote:
chrissyc wrote:I am so happy the decision is basically set...I love nyu and love the city. I couldn't be happier. How is everyone else doing with deciding?

I know I was kidding with you earlier and basically got this Thomas thing going, but on a serious note, congratulations on making a decision. As far as my decision goes, I will be committing to UPenn.

Congrats on your decision. Same goes for Chrissyc

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:49 am

I apologize for starting the Clarence Thomas debate guys, I was just upset about the recent decision.

Congrats to everyone who has recently decided on a school, and good luck to all still waiting.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:01 am

socraticmethodman wrote:Speaking of Brother Thomas, he once again let me down : (

--LinkRemoved--

Brother ??? :|

Absolutely disgusting.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:06 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:

I know I was kidding with you earlier and basically got this Thomas thing going, but on a serious note, congratulations on making a decision. As far as my decision goes, I will be committing to UPenn.

Thanks. I appreciate it...UVA was tough to walk away from

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:46 pm

Moxie wrote:Congrats to everyone making their school decisions! Too bad not many of you are coming to Cambridge :(

Think I am... :)
Waiting on the ASW before getting my heart set.

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:14 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:

Thank you very much! i am so happy and i hope everyone else is as well.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:44 pm

Crazy last couple of weeks. I became disenchanted with Penn (still think it's an AMAZING school, just not for me), got into Columbia FINALLY after submitting way back in October, and just got offered the RTK at NYU this morning! This decision is a no-brainer for me, and I will definitely be at NYU!!! Hope some of you will be my classmates, and congratulations everyone else on your super awesome decisions!

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:59 pm

law_monkey wrote:Crazy last couple of weeks. I became disenchanted with Penn (still think it's an AMAZING school, just not for me), got into Columbia FINALLY after submitting way back in October, and just got offered the RTK at NYU this morning! This decision is a no-brainer for me, and I will definitely be at NYU!!! Hope some of you will be my classmates, and congratulations everyone else on your super awesome decisions!

Congrats law_monkey! Good luck at NYU next year! Great choice!

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:26 pm

law_monkey wrote:Crazy last couple of weeks. I became disenchanted with Penn (still think it's an AMAZING school, just not for me), got into Columbia FINALLY after submitting way back in October, and just got offered the RTK at NYU this morning! This decision is a no-brainer for me, and I will definitely be at NYU!!! Hope some of you will be my classmates, and congratulations everyone else on your super awesome decisions!

Hopefully some $ comes through the pipelines, but after ASW this weekend I think NYU is the place for me too.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:44 pm

RJ127 wrote:

Hopefully some $ comes through the pipelines, but after ASW this weekend I think NYU is the place for me too.

Care to break it down for someone who is going to have to make that NYU/CLS pretty soon most likely? As in NYU's deadline is tomorrow for me to accept $$$...though I hope to get that extended at least until Thursday or Friday.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:48 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

Care to break it down for someone who is going to have to make that NYU/CLS pretty soon most likely? As in NYU's deadline is tomorrow for me to accept $$$...though I hope to get that extended at least until Thursday or Friday.

Well, for someone who got the RTK, that's a PI scholarship, so I'm assuming NYU is being chosen there because it's a very PI-friendly school. (Aside from the scholarship, it has a reputation for solid PI placement compared to CLS, which has a bit more of a BigLaw slant.)

NYU is also a nice school in a very nice neighborhood. Visiting it can leave a positive impression. CLS is in what looks like a giant air conditioner, and that's being kind.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:55 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

Well, for someone who got the RTK, that's a PI scholarship, so I'm assuming NYU is being chosen there because it's a very PI-friendly school. (Aside from the scholarship, it has a reputation for solid PI placement compared to CLS, which has a bit more of a BigLaw slant.)

NYU is also a nice school in a very nice neighborhood. Visiting it can leave a positive impression. CLS is in what looks like a giant air conditioner, and that's being kind.

No, I get that. I've done that much research. I was asking RJ because he's not leaning PI. I'm very interested in PI as well too, but it is something I would transition into later when the opportunity presents itself.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:01 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:No, I get that. I've done that much research. I was asking RJ because he's not leaning PI. I'm very interested in PI as well too, but it is something I would transition into later when the opportunity presents itself.

I'm not sure what this means. You hope to do BigLaw for a few years and then move to PI?

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:28 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

I'll PM you later tonight my dude.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:35 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:No, I get that. I've done that much research. I was asking RJ because he's not leaning PI. I'm very interested in PI as well too, but it is something I would transition into later when the opportunity presents itself.

I'm not sure what this means. You hope to do BigLaw for a few years and then move to PI?

I should clarify that statement because I just toss government under that same umbrella. I'm more interested in being a trial lawyer/litigator and the transition into working for the DOJ like the person who inspired to want to go to law school in the first place. DOJ Honors aside, I just don't see how that's happening right out of law school. I guess I should've said firm/boutique where they thrive on taking cases to trial --->government. Though...I've been known to change my mind a lot so who knows what will happen.

I'd elaborate but I'm on my cell phone and suck at touchscreen.

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:18 pm

Finally withdrew from schools I knew I wasn't going to attend- Cornell, Texas, WUSTL, W&M, & Temple. (had $ at all of them in case someone is negotiating)

good luck ppl.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”