URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
unc0mm0n1

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:40 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:It's going to be great when we get a black person on the supreme court again.

Maybe this is just me but I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to be SCOTUS. I know it's prestigious and all, but...meh.

Most people probably would think I'm crazy.

I don't think you're crazy I'd never ever want to be a judge of any type.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:48 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:It's going to be great when we get a black person on the supreme court again.

Maybe this is just me but I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to be SCOTUS. I know it's prestigious and all, but...meh.

I don't think you're crazy I'd never ever want to be a judge of any type.

+1

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:09 pm

i guess i'm the only person who thinks that would be fun

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Speaking of Brother Thomas, he once again let me down : (

--LinkRemoved--

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Had there been a TLS when Clarence was applying to law school, everyone would have been like "OMG!! CONGRATS username "SILENTCT" You're going to Yale!!"

:cry:

If only we had a way of knowing...

anywho, OMG!! CONGRATS to all the Yale admits! :D

(seriously, congrats to all the Yale admits lol)

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:48 pm

chrissyc wrote:I want NYU....yeah yeah so some people say take Yale but the network, atmosphere, and comraderie of urm's at nyu is just amazing. If I get a full I am so going to nyu...if not then New Haven it is.

I totally approve. Take NYU and turn down Yale.

that way there's more room for me <3 Yale

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:53 pm

Any URMs going to Diversity ASW at Stanford next week?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:06 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:Any URMs going to Diversity ASW at Stanford next week?

Some of us haven't heard from Stanford in close to 6 months...but I'm not bitter or anything....

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:34 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:Speaking of Brother Thomas, he once again let me down : (

--LinkRemoved--

That's..... that's...... that's just terrible.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:02 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:Had there been a TLS when Clarence was applying to law school, everyone would have been like "OMG!! CONGRATS username "SILENTCT" You're going to Yale!!"

:cry:

If only we had a way of knowing...

anywho, OMG!! CONGRATS to all the Yale admits! :D

(seriously, congrats to all the Yale admits lol)

Is this a subtle way of saying you just got in?

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:16 pm

It's definitely not just you. We should start up our own bleach journal in law school. I'd be more interested in that :D (This is probably the nerdiest thing I've said in the past tow years...don't judge me)

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:20 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:Speaking of Brother Thomas, he once again let me down : (

--LinkRemoved--

Are you kidding me?

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:20 pm

--LinkRemoved--

That's just about the worst thing I have ever read. :shock:

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:51 pm

LLB2JD wrote:Is this a subtle way of saying you just got in?

lol nah. i didnt apply to yale and don't have yale #'s.

Postby 20121109 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:

It's definitely not just you. We should start up our own bleach journal in law school. I'd be more interested in that :D (This is probably the nerdiest thing I've said in the past tow years...don't judge me)

Judge you? I LOVE YOU for that :D

One of the best ideas I've heard in a while! We can nerd out to Bleach together <3

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:08 pm

kk19131 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I'd like to see the facts before I judge a ruling based on a one page newspaper article. One thing I have learned in law school is that when it comes to complex issues of law and fact you can easily skew things to make it seem so obviously clear that one side is wrong. Opinions do this all the time, majority says something "oh my gosh of course you're right!", then dissent talks about some facts the majority "forgot" to mention and then it's a much closer call.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:52 am

Doritos wrote:
kk19131 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I'd like to see the facts before I judge a ruling based on a one page newspaper article. One thing I have learned in law school is that when it comes to complex issues of law and fact you can easily skew things to make it seem so obviously clear that one side is wrong. Opinions do this all the time, majority says something "oh my gosh of course you're right!", then dissent talks about some facts the majority "forgot" to mention and then it's a much closer call.

Here is the entire 33 page opinion (written by Thomas or one of his clerks), concurring opinion (written by Scalia) and dissent (written by Ginsberg) after reading it I made three observations.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/09-571.pdf

1) Justice Thomas is the least deserving member of the Supreme Court (but I've known that for a while). His opinion doesn't due the case justice and doesn't answer some serious questions raised in the dissent.
2) Justice Scalia actually makes some good points in his concurring opinon about "Brady" and why the city can't be held liable, specifically for lack of "brady type training."
3) I still agree with Judge Ginsberg's points and think that there should be some liability in this case. But it is not as clear cut as the newspaper article makes it seems.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:15 am

The Justice Thomas hate is a bit much. He's a conservative Justice. If you are more liberal and feel the constitution offers redress for every injury then that's fine, but understand that 4 other Justices agreed with his viewpoint on the case with only one concurrence.

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:41 am

ksimon2007 wrote:The Justice Thomas hate is a bit much. He's a conservative Justice. If you are more liberal and feel the constitution offers redress for every injury then that's fine, but understand that 4 other Justices agreed with his viewpoint on the case with only one concurrence.

ITT we call him Clarence. Your suggestion to spread the hate around is noted (and appreciated).

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:37 am

ksimon2007 wrote:The Justice Thomas hate is a bit much. He's a conservative Justice. If you are more liberal and feel the constitution offers redress for every injury then that's fine, but understand that 4 other Justices agreed with his viewpoint on the case with only one concurrence.

You really think I don't like JT because he's conservative... I dislike him because he's worthless, his opinions are by far the worst on the bench and he stands for nothing. Scalia is conservative and strict constitutionlist but I don't dislike him in fact I'm more conservative in my political leaning (not republican just a conservative leaning independant). The fact that he is the only "black voice" on the bench is just sad in my opinion. But don't take my word that JT is useless lets see what some other people have to say.

The New York Times recently noted that Tuesday of this week will mark the five year anniversary since Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has spoken during a case. Not only has Justice Thomas not spoken at all while hearing court arguments for the past five years; Thomas has also spent this lengthy period of silence "leaning back in his chair, staring at the ceiling, rubbing his eyes, whispering to Justice Stephen G. Breyer, consulting papers and looking a little irritated and a little bored." (The New York Times)

First, there was the fact that Thomas, whose wife has earned almost $700,000 for--as far as I can tell--being his wife, finds government disclosure forms so difficult to fill out that he accidentally put $0 where $700,000 was supposed to be under "spousal income." (cliff schecter)

When asked to comment on Clarence Thomas as a possible replacement for William Rehnquist, Reid told NBC's "Meet the Press": "I think that he has been an embarrassment to the Supreme Court. I think that his opinions are poorly written. I just don't think that he's done a good job as a Supreme Court justice."

The man has been silent on the bench for 5 yrs (no other justice has even been silent for a session), he's attended fundraising activities that bring the impartiality of court into question, he lied about his wifes finances and he did not recuse himself when there were obvious conflicts of interests. Not to mention he doesn't have an original thought in his head. hopefully that explains my feelings about JT.

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:30 am

I am so happy the decision is basically set...I love nyu and love the city. I couldn't be happier. How is everyone else doing with deciding?

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:40 am

chrissyc wrote:I am so happy the decision is basically set...I love nyu and love the city. I couldn't be happier. How is everyone else doing with deciding?

I know I was kidding with you earlier and basically got this Thomas thing going, but on a serious note, congratulations on making a decision. As far as my decision goes, I will be committing to UPenn.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:46 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:

You really think I don't like JT because he's conservative... I dislike him because he's worthless, his opinions are by far the worst on the bench and he stands for nothing. Scalia is conservative and strict constitutionlist but I don't dislike him in fact I'm more conservative in my political leaning (not republican just a conservative leaning independant). The fact that he is the only "black voice" on the bench is just sad in my opinion. But don't take my word that JT is useless lets see what some other people have to say.

The New York Times recently noted that Tuesday of this week will mark the five year anniversary since Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has spoken during a case. Not only has Justice Thomas not spoken at all while hearing court arguments for the past five years; Thomas has also spent this lengthy period of silence "leaning back in his chair, staring at the ceiling, rubbing his eyes, whispering to Justice Stephen G. Breyer, consulting papers and looking a little irritated and a little bored." (The New York Times)

First, there was the fact that Thomas, whose wife has earned almost $700,000 for--as far as I can tell--being his wife, finds government disclosure forms so difficult to fill out that he accidentally put $0 where $700,000 was supposed to be under "spousal income." (cliff schecter)

When asked to comment on Clarence Thomas as a possible replacement for William Rehnquist, Reid told NBC's "Meet the Press": "I think that he has been an embarrassment to the Supreme Court. I think that his opinions are poorly written. I just don't think that he's done a good job as a Supreme Court justice."

The man has been silent on the bench for 5 yrs (no other justice has even been silent for a session), he's attended fundraising activities that bring the impartiality of court into question, he lied about his wifes finances and he did not recuse himself when there were obvious conflicts of interests. Not to mention he doesn't have an original thought in his head. hopefully that explains my feelings about JT.

This.
Honestly, I don't like JT because I think he is a bad justice, not because he is conservative and continuously votes anti-minority.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:18 pm

Well, I hope he sticks around for at least 22 more years :wink:

Alltheirsplendor

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:35 pm

chrissyc wrote:I am so happy the decision is basically set...I love nyu and love the city. I couldn't be happier. How is everyone else doing with deciding?

Aww no Yale?

I'm glad you're happy about your decision though. You've totally earned it!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”