URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
LLB2JD

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:25 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:Thanks guys! I submitted a while back december or january. I was pretty sure I was going to be waitlisted or rejected. TBH it's down to UVA and Penn.

There is no wrong choice there.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:46 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:Thanks guys! I submitted a while back december or january. I was pretty sure I was going to be waitlisted or rejected. TBH it's down to UVA and Penn.

There is no wrong choice there.

exactly that's a win-win decision.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Berkeley just matched my full ride to UVA! :shock:The dramatic law school application process continues! What is a brotha to do?

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:10 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Berkeley just matched my full ride to UVA! :shock:The dramatic law school application process continues! What is a brotha to do?

Damn. Congrats

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:10 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Berkeley just matched my full ride to UVA! :shock:The dramatic law school application process continues! What is a brotha to do?

Damn. Congrats

serdog

Postby serdog » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:14 pm

First Congrads
2nd Where do you want to work? west Coast=Berkeley East Coast=UVA and is one school stronger in your area of interest ?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:27 pm

serdog wrote:

First Congrads
2nd Where do you want to work? west Coast=Berkeley East Coast=UVA and is one school stronger in your area of interest ?

Thanks guys! As of right now, I'd prefer to work on the east coast because that is all I have known my whole life. I have only been to California once and at the time I was 4 months old. I am fascinated with the possibility of going into the uncharted land that is California, but it is hard to properly compare east and west coast without visiting the west coast. As far as my area of interest is concerned, I have kept my mind open. Corporate law seems to be grabbing my attention currently, and specifically being a transactional attorney, but that could change tomorrow. If I get SEO, that will help determine whether I am truly interested in that field - but that's beyond the point. Just for this thread's sake, let's assume I want to be a corporate attorney, wouldn't UVA be better?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Deposited at Minnesota and withdrew everywhere else. So excited to finally know!

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:14 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
serdog wrote:

First Congrads

Thanks guys! As of right now, I'd prefer to work on the east coast because that is all I have known my whole life. I have only been to California once and at the time I was 4 months old. I am fascinated with the possibility of going into the uncharted land that is California, but it is hard to properly compare east and west coast without visiting the west coast. As far as my area of interest is concerned, I have kept my mind open. Corporate law seems to be grabbing my attention currently, and specifically being a transactional attorney, but that could change tomorrow. If I get SEO, that will help determine whether I am truly interested in that field - but that's beyond the point. Just for this thread's sake, let's assume I want to be a corporate attorney, wouldn't UVA be better?

Is Penn out for you? I visited this afternoon and enjoyed my time there.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:15 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
serdog wrote:

First Congrads

Is Penn out for you? I visited this afternoon and enjoyed my time there.

I'd imagine with rides to Cal and UVA that Penn would have fallen back a considerable distance in the race.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:40 pm

I'd imagine with rides to Cal and UVA that Penn would have fallen back a considerable distance in the race.

You're imagination would lead you to the credited answer. I visited Penn this weekend and I absolutely loved the people and the atmosphere of the school, but did not feel the same about the city of philly. On top of that, they said they could give me money but not full tuition. Since I also loved UVA's atmosphere and I am much more used to a suburban lifetyle, UVA just made all the sense in the world. Also, it would be much cheaper to just go to UVA. I woke up this morning knowing I was going to UVA and then Berkeley contacted me...
Ksimon- where are you leaning towards? To be honest, you cant make a bad choice. Penn and UVA are both wonderful schools - just one is in Philly and the other in Charlottesville.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:57 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:

You're imagination would lead you to the credited answer. I visited Penn this weekend and I absolutely loved the people and the atmosphere of the school, but did not feel the same about the city of philly. On top of that, they said they could give me money but not full tuition. Since I also loved UVA's atmosphere and I am much more used to a suburban lifetyle, UVA just made all the sense in the world. Also, it would be much cheaper to just go to UVA. I woke up this morning knowing I was going to UVA and then Berkeley contacted me...
Ksimon- where are you leaning towards? To be honest, you cant make a bad choice. Penn and UVA are both wonderful schools - just one is in Philly and the other in Charlottesville.

I have to admit that I enjoyed visiting Penn. I sort of see Penn as stretching me a bit more insofar as it would be a new enviromnment and network. We'll see. I plan on deciding in the next two weeks.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:02 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

I have to admit that I enjoyed visiting Penn. I sort of see Penn as stretching me a bit more insofar as it would be a new enviromnment and network. We'll see. I plan on deciding in the next two weeks.

Damn, less than two weeks ago, I was saying the same thing about Penn and you were sold on UVA. lol. The tables have certainly turned. I was kinda hoping we would be chilling in C-ville next year, but we both have to see what works best for ourselves personally. By the way, congrats on Cornell. Are they in the running at all for you? I recently got in there too, but I don't plan on going to Ithaca so I will withdraw soon.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:09 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

Damn, less than two weeks ago, I was saying the same thing about Penn and you were sold on UVA. lol. The tables have certainly turned. I was kinda hoping we would be chilling in C-ville next year, but we both have to see what works best for ourselves personally. By the way, congrats on Cornell. Are they in the running at all for you? I recently got in there too, but I don't plan on going to Ithaca so I will withdraw soon.

I'm calling it now. I'm putting you 2 down for C'ville. See ya in the fall. :lol:

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:07 pm

I'm calling it now. I'm putting you 2 down for C'ville. See ya in the fall. :lol:

There is still a strong possibility that you will at least see me next year! Of course my man Ksimon2007 is trying to get all "ivy league" now so I can't speak for him. :lol:

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:23 pm

I wonder why I still haven't heard from my safety schools that I have no intention on attending now. Do they know that I'm not going there? submitted my apps over 2 months ago.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:09 pm

congrats on the berk scholly man :)

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:48 pm

blacklawboss wrote:I wonder why I still haven't heard from my safety schools that I have no intention on attending now. Do they know that I'm not going there? submitted my apps over 2 months ago.

They probably know that you aren't going to attend, and they are waiting to see if you will withdraw. That way, you won't fuck up their yield percentage.

dkt4 wrote:congrats on the berk scholly man :)

Thanks man!

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:53 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:I wonder why I still haven't heard from my safety schools that I have no intention on attending now. Do they know that I'm not going there? submitted my apps over 2 months ago.

They probably know that you aren't going to attend, and they are waiting to see if you will withdraw. That way, you won't fuck up their yield percentage.

Roger that. I figured the same thanks

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:38 pm

Just saw this. Man that is awesome! You are killing it this cycle. That's going to be a hard choice. Either way you can't choose wrong!

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:46 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:IN AT YALE!!!!

YAY!! Congrats!

Does this mean you don't need any more information about Cambridge housing, lol? :D

No, I still need info, you'll see me there for sure.

miracle2011

Postby miracle2011 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:37 am

I was offered a Graduate Diversity Program Award at Berkeley! Full tuition and fees for my first year plus a $10,000 stipend!

Postby 20121109 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 am

miracle2011 wrote:I was offered a Graduate Diversity Program Award at Berkeley! Full tuition and fees for my first year plus a $10,000 stipend!

:shock:

WOW!! Congratulations <3

Is that offer a cycle-ender?

miracle2011

Postby miracle2011 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:43 am

miracle2011 wrote:I was offered a Graduate Diversity Program Award at Berkeley! Full tuition and fees for my first year plus a $10,000 stipend!

WOW!! Congratulations <3

Thanks! My cycle is working out better than expected!

Yeah, I am gonna visit Berkeley next week and if I like it, I am heading to CAL. LOL unless Harvard or Stanford comes calling.

Postby 20121109 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:47 am

miracle2011 wrote:

WOW!! Congratulations <3

Thanks! My cycle is working out better than expected!

Yeah, I am gonna visit Berkeley next week and if I like it, I am heading to CAL. LOL unless Harvard or Stanford comes calling.

:)

I didn't even know Berkeley offered such an award. Seriously. You are some kind of special applicant.

Again, huge, HUGE congratz!!!!!!!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”