URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby pixytree » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:34 am

moot point i guess. usnews rankings just came out and Berkeley is #9, Michigan is now #7.
Last edited by pixytree on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:44 am

pixytree wrote:
pixytree wrote:OK so I need some insight. I think my choices now (depending on how I come out of NYU's scholly interview or whether UVA comes out of the woodworks with some $$$) are between Michigan and Berkeley. Both seem to have similar student cultures and are giving me the same $$$ so far. Michigan has the clinics I want--no other school in the country has a human trafficking clinic. Berkeley is seriously lacking when it comes to clinics, but has the ranking and location. I've also just wanted to go to Berkeley since I started this process. Which is more important, curriculum or ranking?


moot point i guess. usnews rankings just came out and Berkeley is #9, Michigan is now #7.


My world is officially turned upside down...

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:00 am

blacklawboss wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:O
socraticmethodman wrote:My fellow URMs, what do you aspire to do after law school? I'll start; I'd like to work in the Civil Rights Department of the DOJ or as a litigator for the ACLU. I'd also like to serve as judge someday.


Initially I wanted to do sports law, but now I'm leaning towards corporate litigation.


Haha I'm the opposite right now...


But options are a beautiful thing!


I'm leaning corporate litigation as well.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:14 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
pixytree wrote:
pixytree wrote:OK so I need some insight. I think my choices now (depending on how I come out of NYU's scholly interview or whether UVA comes out of the woodworks with some $$$) are between Michigan and Berkeley. Both seem to have similar student cultures and are giving me the same $$$ so far. Michigan has the clinics I want--no other school in the country has a human trafficking clinic. Berkeley is seriously lacking when it comes to clinics, but has the ranking and location. I've also just wanted to go to Berkeley since I started this process. Which is more important, curriculum or ranking?


moot point i guess. usnews rankings just came out and Berkeley is #9, Michigan is now #7.


My world is officially turned upside down...


This made me sad

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:19 am

Re
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
pixytree wrote:
pixytree wrote:OK so I need some insight. I think my choices now (depending on how I come out of NYU's scholly interview or whether UVA comes out of the woodworks with some $$$) are between Michigan and Berkeley. Both seem to have similar student cultures and are giving me the same $$$ so far. Michigan has the clinics I want--no other school in the country has a human trafficking clinic. Berkeley is seriously lacking when it comes to clinics, but has the ranking and location. I've also just wanted to go to Berkeley since I started this process. Which is more important, curriculum or ranking?


moot point i guess. usnews rankings just came out and Berkeley is #9, Michigan is now #7.


My world is officially turned upside down...


This made me sad


You guys have to stop drinking the kool aid tls is serving! If going to #9 instead of #7 really effects your career then you have bigger issues. Go to law school do the work and the cream will rise!

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:31 am

.
Last edited by unc0mm0n1 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:12 am

ksimon2007 wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:O
socraticmethodman wrote:My fellow URMs, what do you aspire to do after law school? I'll start; I'd like to work in the Civil Rights Department of the DOJ or as a litigator for the ACLU. I'd also like to serve as judge someday.


Initially I wanted to do sports law, but now I'm leaning towards corporate litigation.


Haha I'm the opposite right now...

But options are a beautiful thing!


I'm leaning corporate litigation as well.

What has you guys swaying? I can't say that I'm certain of what I'll end up doing at this point. But some sort of litigation seems most likely.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby subtle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:47 pm

I just got WLed at W&M, which, I knew was coming because they were taking so long, but still. I'm just a little irritated.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:53 pm

subtle wrote:I just got WLed at W&M, which, I knew was coming because they were taking so long, but still. I'm just a little irritated.


Send them a withdrawal letter on CLS letterhead.

You'll be fine.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:56 pm

subtle wrote:I just got WLed at W&M, which, I knew was coming because they were taking so long, but still. I'm just a little irritated.



With a Columbia acceptance under your belt, who gives a damn what William and Mary has to say? It is obviously yield protection. Why did you even apply that low anyway? :lol:

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:58 pm

subtle wrote:I just got WLed at W&M, which, I knew was coming because they were taking so long, but still. I'm just a little irritated.

Wednesday, drink, on me.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby subtle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:08 pm

RJ127 wrote:
subtle wrote:I just got WLed at W&M, which, I knew was coming because they were taking so long, but still. I'm just a little irritated.


Send them a withdrawal letter on CLS letterhead.

You'll be fine.



Irritated because of how long it took them to get back to me. WTF. Also, I really wish I had thought of sending in my withdrawal on CLS letterhead. I already sent it in. :( Can I have a do over?

yngblkgifted wrote:With a Columbia acceptance under your belt, who gives a damn what William and Mary has to say? It is obviously yield protection. Why did you even apply that low anyway? :lol:


I'm not upset. I just don't lose well. I said irritated, not upset. Also, I applied as low as Northeastern because I had NO IDEA where a 162 was going to get me. Plus, I had quite a few people telling me that CLS was not going to happen.

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Wednesday, drink, on me.


I'm going to hold you to that. Don't take an extra shift at work this time.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:36 pm

subtle wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
subtle wrote:I just got WLed at W&M, which, I knew was coming because they were taking so long, but still. I'm just a little irritated.


Send them a withdrawal letter on CLS letterhead.

You'll be fine.



Irritated because of how long it took them to get back to me. WTF. Also, I really wish I had thought of sending in my withdrawal on CLS letterhead. I already sent it in. :( Can I have a do over?

yngblkgifted wrote:With a Columbia acceptance under your belt, who gives a damn what William and Mary has to say? It is obviously yield protection. Why did you even apply that low anyway? :lol:


I'm not upset. I just don't lose well. I said irritated, not upset. Also, I applied as low as Northeastern because I had NO IDEA where a 162 was going to get me. Plus, I had quite a few people telling me that CLS was not going to happen.

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Wednesday, drink, on me.


I'm going to hold you to that. Don't take an extra shift at work this time.


I know. I know. Just trying to cheer you up. Don't let W&M even preoccupy your mind. You're in at freaking COLUMBIA!!!! By the way, Williamsburg is a depressing town minus Busch Gardens!

serdog
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby serdog » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:38 am

+1 pay no mind when your in somewhere better. I got wait listed @ American I just thought to myself that I was on a UofA(different country but better propects) and later that day I got UBC Which put me over the moon only worry if it's an option that is a go

southernsnapp
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby southernsnapp » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:12 pm

same. i was waitlisted at George Mason, U of Houston, Vanderbilt, and U of Chicago, and was accepted to Cornell. Now the rest don't matter.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Held at Columbia...not really surprised. How many people have heard from Stanford yet? I feel like they rarely get mentioned on this thread.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Sinra » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:40 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Held at Columbia...not really surprised. How many people have heard from Stanford yet? I feel like they really get mentioned on this thread.


Oh they dinged me way back. :lol:

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby spacepenguin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:09 pm

I'm pretty damn excited about this:

IN AT NYU!!!

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Fresh » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:27 pm

spacepenguin wrote:I'm pretty damn excited about this:

IN AT NYU!!!


:D gratz

CrashingTheGate
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby CrashingTheGate » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:14 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Held at Columbia...not really surprised. How many people have heard from Stanford yet? I feel like they rarely get mentioned on this thread.



Hello Hello - just discovered this thread and thought it was remarkably positive, which is fantastic. :D

I got in to Stanford in January and will probably end up there unless the CLS or NYU admit days sway me. I don't know my UR date (I am beginning to understand that is important here) but I applied around Jan. 10th and heard back around Jan. 26th. (spoiled, I know). Congrats on everyone's GREAT acceptances. It's heartening to see so much success.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:34 pm

deleted. Thanks for the help!
Last edited by BlakcMajikc on Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:47 pm

@BlakcMajikc

Your decision is completely personal depending on how you feel about the debt. From a pure financial standpoint I would say take one of the full-rides but there are obviously other factors that could lead someone to select HYS despite the debt(I may be doing so myself).

Also, your profile says you have an MBA from a decent school already. If you are interested in consulting why not just try to do it now?

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:49 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote: *A bunch of words with some numbers*


Was all of your scholly money need or merit based? Specifically inquiring about NYU.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:53 pm

tkgrrett wrote:@BlakcMajikc

Your decision is completely personal depending on how you feel about the debt. From a pure financial standpoint I would say take one of the full-rides but there are obviously other factors that could lead someone to select HYS despite the debt(I may be doing so myself).

Also, your profile says you have an MBA from a decent school already. If you are interested in consulting why not just try to do it now?


The UVA/Michigan $$$ v Harvard choice has been talked about a lot on TLS and the discussion seems to go in circles, lol

Two reasons: 1. I didn't have the experience at the time to capitalize off of my MBA and get an upper-level consulting position at graduation 2. I have always wanted to practice law

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:55 pm

RJ127 wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote: *A bunch of words with some numbers*


Was all of your scholly money need or merit based? Specifically inquiring about NYU.


Merit




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful and 1 guest