URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Ratchet Jackson

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:49 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:
law_monkey wrote:60k at Georgetown today. From what I can tell, that's super generous by their standards. This game's getting a lot more fun now that the money's coming out.

congrats man!

She's a female my dude :wink:

ETA: Congrats! And damn you and your quickstyles posts!

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:00 pm

RJ127 wrote:
socraticmethodman wrote:
law_monkey wrote:60k at Georgetown today. From what I can tell, that's super generous by their standards. This game's getting a lot more fun now that the money's coming out.

congrats man!

Lol that's cuz I work almost 20 hours a week at my campus job, and I literally do nothing the whole time I'm here so I'm always on TLS.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Shloime wrote:

+1 to all that :mrgreen:

+2 to everything as well. Georgetown has one of the most impressive law schools I've seen so far and I love DC. Sometimes I wish they were ranked higher, I would so be there. Congrats to both of you!

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:17 pm

law_monkey wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
socraticmethodman wrote:

congrats man!

Lol that's cuz I work almost 20 hours a week at my campus job, and I literally do nothing the whole time I'm here so I'm always on TLS.

Haha that's fair. How did you get the scholarship? I got an email last week saying I was being considered for a merit scholly but had to respond with interest to the email. Is that the same thing you got or was your scholarship through a different channel?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:22 pm

RJ127 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
socraticmethodman wrote:

Haha that's fair. How did you get the scholarship? I got an email last week saying I was being considered for a merit scholly but had to respond with interest to the email. Is that the same thing you got or was your scholarship through a different channel?

I'll jump in here. I was emailed that I was being considered and they told me to send an interest email back. I did at the very last minute and about a week and a half later they informed me that I was selected. Did you send an interest email?

Edit: I assume that it was through the same channel to answer your question.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:25 pm

yngblkgifted wrote: I'll jump in here. I was emailed that I was being considered and they told me to send an interest email back. I did at the very last minute and about a week and a half later they informed me that I was selected. Did you send an interest email?

Yeah I shot them an email today, in response to their email from Friday. How much was your scholarship worth if you don't mind me asking?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:28 pm

RJ127 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote: I'll jump in here. I was emailed that I was being considered and they told me to send an interest email back. I did at the very last minute and about a week and a half later they informed me that I was selected. Did you send an interest email?

Yeah I shot them an email today, in response to their email from Friday. How much was your scholarship worth if you don't mind me asking?

20K/year. Same as Law_Monkey. I'm sure you'll get something. It looks like they contacted you later for some reason. Now that I think about it, I think they told me I needed to respond by the 18th of Feb. You must have applied later than I did.

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:32 pm

i love this forum! :)

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:33 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

20K/year. Same as Law_Monkey. I'm sure you'll get something. It looks like they contacted you later for some reason. Now that I think about it, I think they told me I needed to respond by the 18th of Feb. You must have applied later than I did.

Applied 12/1. Got in like 2 weeks ago or something. Hoping to swing some cash. I'll keep you posted.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:34 pm

I got the email from GT too. Haven't responded yet, not sure if I'd be wasting their time by even sending it...the chances are pretty low I'm going to go
EDIT: The reason I haven't just withdrawn is because their faculty book was so impressive. I know most schools probably have impressive faculties but this is the only one I've looked at...
Last edited by jd20132013 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:35 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

Yeah I was the same. Respond by the 18th. I actually sent them a LOCI and at the end included the other schools I'm in. Just to be like I love you, but... It obviously worked. That and it seems like they're really catering to URMs which is good news for us!!! :D

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:39 pm

law_monkey wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

Yeah I was the same. Respond by the 18th. I actually sent them a LOCI and at the end included the other schools I'm in. Just to be like I love you, but... It obviously worked. That and it seems like they're really catering to URMs which is good news for us!!! :D

Oh fasho. Mine was a respond by March 4th deadline. I hope they saved some $$ for me!

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:45 pm

Oh, and did any URMs who applied/got into Michigan get an email about a Butch Carpenter Scholarship dinner? Anybody know what this entails?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:45 pm

RJ127 wrote:
Oh fasho. Mine was a respond by March 4th deadline. I hope they saved some $$ for me!

A lot of people on the in thread are talking about withdrawing after these lackluster offers, so I'm sure there's plenty to go around!

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:00 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
chrissyc wrote:I officially got into yale. Woo hoo. I need $$$ damn it.

FYI, Yale and Stanford tend to give out very generous financial aid offers. If you truly need money and its reflected in your finaid app, you will get money thrown at you. You have no reason to be even hint at being frustrated with your opportunities. Can I get one exclamation of happiness that isn't tempered by some trivial concern, lol?

Be. Happy. :)

+1. Paying back debt wont be an issue. The issue is really(for me at least) how much return on investment you are willing to settle for and how much financial flexibility you want. FWIW, from the students I have been in contact with Stanford and Yale are slightly more generous for students with near 0 estimated family contribution but not really by much (especially considering CA COL in the case of Stanford). You should assume 120-130k debt for any of the 3 if you have very low family income.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:05 pm

+1. Paying back debt wont be an issue. The issue is really(for me at least) how much return on investment you are willing to settle for and how much financial flexibility you want. FWIW, from the students I have been in contact with Stanford and Yale are slightly more generous for students with near 0 estimated family contribution but not really by much (especially considering CA COL in the case of Stanford). You should assume 120-130k debt for any of the 3 if you have very low family income.

does anyone know how they handle family contribution? i will be getting 0 contribution from family, but i think i was claimed as a dependent last year and have low need if they consider family income. becomes an issue cause i'm looking at Stanford and Boalt and the 30k difference is substantial (already a CA resident)

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:19 pm

dkt4 wrote:

does anyone know how they handle family contribution? i will be getting 0 contribution from family, but i think i was claimed as a dependent last year and have low need if they consider family income. becomes an issue cause i'm looking at Stanford and Boalt and the 30k difference is substantial (already a CA resident)

Not gonna speak on Stanford specifically but for the vast majority of schools that do true need-based aid they take into account your parent's income if you are below a certain age (29 at some schools and I believe as low as 25 at certain schools). Under certain rare circumstances, you can have parental info waived but I think it is generally a very strict process(Im going through this process but my case is very clear cut so it hasnt been as bad).

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:24 pm

law_monkey wrote:
socraticmethodman wrote:

congrats man!

I'm a girl, but thanks haha!

I apologize mam, forgive me? Please :D

pixytree

Postby pixytree » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:11 am

RJ127 wrote:Oh, and did any URMs who applied/got into Michigan get an email about a Butch Carpenter Scholarship dinner? Anybody know what this entails?

I got it, but I got the impression that it was an award they give out to current URMs and they were just inviting us to give us an opportunity to meet and greet with URM students. No $$$ for us.

Are you going to either of the Michigan preview weekends?

timmna

Postby timmna » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Anybody else going to the BLAPA dinner at NYU during the next ASW?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:20 pm

timmna wrote:Anybody else going to the BLAPA dinner at NYU during the next ASW?

I probably am! I already contacted STA about my tix though, so as long as I can change them for another night I want to go. We are going to be such buddies by the end of this whole process! :D

timmna

Postby timmna » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:24 pm

law_monkey wrote:

I probably am! I already contacted STA about my tix though, so as long as I can change them for another night I want to go. We are going to be such buddies by the end of this whole process! :D

Good-it will be good to see a friendly face..er, avatar. Buddies is right. And who better to be buddies than a kitten and a monkey?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:26 pm

timmna wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Good-it will be good to see a friendly face..er, avatar. Buddies is right. And who better to be buddies than a kitten and a monkey?

Wasn't there like a gorilla or orangutan or something like that that raised a kitten?

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:27 pm

What is BLAPA dinner and which ASW are you going to? Go to the second one...do it.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:33 pm

I'll be out there March 31st and or April 1st. Anybody going to that session?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”