URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jacketman03

Silver

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Post by jacketman03 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:53 pm

In at South Texas today. I'm going to law school!

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 pm

jacketman03 wrote:In at South Texas today. I'm going to law school!
Congrats!

Punisha20

Bronze

Post by Punisha20 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:27 pm

IN:
WUSTL 75k
Alabama 75k
Case 45k (Withdrawal coming obviously)

Waiting on: Cornell, IUB, Duke, Columbia, NYU, USC, Notre Dame, and BU
Applied to all in mid January :oops:

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:40 pm

AnBryce finalist!! I think I forgot how to breathe.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:43 pm

timmna wrote:AnBryce finalist!! I think I forgot how to breathe.
Congrats!!! Don't make me to jealous for not writing it. Myabe, we won't be going to the same school after all.... :cry:

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
Congrats!!! Don't make me to jealous for not writing it. Myabe, we won't be going to the same school after all.... :cry:
Oh, you have that C acceptance to dry your eyes with! And you never know until you know! But I'm beyond excited!

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm

RJ127 wrote:
Congrats!
Thanks! I was really getting worried about my cycle with all the rejections, but this has given me renewed hope.

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:53 pm

congrat$ Timmna & Jacketman!

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:54 pm

Congrats! I remember that 1st one! many more to come

2bOn2b

New

Post by 2bOn2b » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 pm

That makes two of us!! Pretty excited. But after spending the past week in convsersation with Yalies, I think I have my heart set on New Haven. I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but this could be a really tough decision.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:09 pm

Congrats!! Im starting to think the NYC schools have been reading my TLS posts. Im striking out hard. Attempting to rationalize not being as awesome as you guys

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Congrats!! Im starting to think the NYC schools have been reading my TLS posts. Im striking out hard. Attempting to rationalize not being as awesome as you guys

lol at the bolded. I think some schools (read: adcomms) just need some nudging. Once one is IN at a particular school, I'm guessing things that were seen in a negative light pre-acceptance are viewed much differently post-acceptance. I've been told by a couple ppl to take a plane/bus/train/whatever will get me there to each school that accepts me (or that I'm serious about attending) and to request extra financial aid in person. I'm sure that advice won't work for everyone, and that it isn't feasible for many, but I don't think it's a stretch to imagine an adcomm being swayed to give more $ after seeing such effort (read: passion to attend their school) every now and then. I think the probability of that happening improves if you consider how unexciting it must be to receive dozens of letters that start with: "Your school is my dream school, but if I don't get more money, I'm probably going to a school ranked a few spots lower than yours." Right? Idk. I say once a URM is IN at a school, being assertive about making them pay for your worth (or simply reevaluating it) will lead to results that are usually more positive than negative.

(I'm attempting to rationalize why I haven't heard back from NYU when they're moving closer to awarding full scholarships, a process that requires extra and more thorough evaluations. lol)

memorex

New

Post by memorex » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:57 pm

Just got the AnBryce scholarship email. Based on posts all over TLS, a lot of ppl did also. Does anyone know the average annual stats for how many are offered interviews, offered the scholarship, accept the scholarship, etc?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:19 pm

AnBryce!!! And to the above poster, I've checked the class thread, URM, and NYU waiting, and I've only seen 5 or 6. I've heard there's about 30 total, and they give them out to 9/10. Holy f**k peeps. We have a 1/3 shot at a full ride to NYU.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:19 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

lol at the bolded. I think some schools (read: adcomms) just need some nudging. Once one is IN at a particular school, I'm guessing things that were seen in a negative light pre-acceptance are viewed much differently post-acceptance. I've been told by a couple ppl to take a plane/bus/train/whatever will get me there to each school that accepts me (or that I'm serious about attending) and to request extra financial aid in person. I'm sure that advice won't work for everyone, and that it isn't feasible for many, but I don't think it's a stretch to imagine an adcomm being swayed to give more $ after seeing such effort (read: passion to attend their school) every now and then. I think the probability of that happening improves if you consider how unexciting it must be to receive dozens of letters that start with: "Your school is my dream school, but if I don't get more money, I'm probably going to a school ranked a few spots lower than yours." Right? Idk. I say once a URM is IN at a school, being assertive about making them pay for your worth (or simply reevaluating it) will lead to results that are usually more positive than negative.

(I'm attempting to rationalize why I haven't heard back from NYU when they're moving closer to awarding full scholarships, a process that requires extra and more thorough evaluations. lol)
Your theory may be right but, for me at least, I think the fact that I dont really have anything incredible outside of numbers is starting to catch up with me. I mean, I have the standard summer internships and clubs/activities but due to having a long distance gf, and the travel time involved with that, I wasnt incredibly involved like Im sure most other strong applicants were. On top of that, Im straight from a very average undergrad and I didnt personalize most of my essays(shocker, the schools that have invited me to apply for/given me named scholarships are the ones I personalized essays for). Id like to have more options just for flexibility sake, but at the end of the day Im not really upset. Ive been accepted to 4 of my top 5 choices coming into the cycle and offered large aid packages at two of them. An NYC option wouldve been good to have though in case my gf snagged a job there(shes been interning in NYC over the summers).

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:47 am

tkgrrett wrote:
LAWLAW09 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

Your theory may be right but, for me at least, I think the fact that I dont really have anything incredible outside of numbers is starting to catch up with me. I mean, I have the standard summer internships and clubs/activities but due to having a long distance gf, and the travel time involved with that, I wasnt incredibly involved like Im sure most other strong applicants were. On top of that, Im straight from a very average undergrad and I didnt personalize most of my essays(shocker, the schools that have invited me to apply for/given me named scholarships are the ones I personalized essays for). Id like to have more options just for flexibility sake, but at the end of the day Im not really upset. Ive been accepted to 4 of my top 5 choices coming into the cycle and offered large aid packages at two of them. An NYC option wouldve been good to have though in case my gf snagged a job there(shes been interning in NYC over the summers).
You haven't been rejected anywhere. Wait, what?

helloscriptkitti

New

Post by helloscriptkitti » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:52 am

Major CONGRATS to all of the AnBryce finalists!!! NYU hates me but I'm happy for u all!

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:35 am

helloscriptkitti wrote:Major CONGRATS to all of the AnBryce finalists!!! NYU hates me but I'm happy for u all!
+1

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks and congrats to other AnBryce finalists! Hopefully some of you will be in my interview city.

2bOn2b

New

Post by 2bOn2b » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:56 pm

Congrats to all the AnBryce finalists!!

JR1 invite today. We shall see what happens.

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:12 pm

2bOn2b wrote:Congrats to all the AnBryce finalists!!

JR1 invite today. We shall see what happens.
Congrats and good luck!!

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:10 pm

timmna wrote:Thanks and congrats to other AnBryce finalists! Hopefully some of you will be in my interview city.
+1

Wolverine Den

New

Post by Wolverine Den » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:16 pm

In at Yale!!! My law school decision just got increasingly difficult.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Wolverine Den wrote:In at Yale!!! My law school decision just got increasingly difficult.
Go to Yale.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Wolverine Den wrote:In at Yale!!! My law school decision just got increasingly difficult.

difficult in the sense of finding the time to mail in the deposit to yale?
lol

let me get a call from Yale that deposit will be in the mail the same day lmao

Congrats

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”