URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
yngblkgifted

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:04 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Just in case anyone wants to see the info, I decided to do the same for AA women. Here are the stats:

Cornell: 14 (It looks like this is an anomaly since the previous classes have 6 and 7)
Duke: 8
Harvard: 40
Penn: 8
Stanford: 13
Georgetown: 38
Northwestern: 12
Michigan: 10
UVA: 8
NYU: 24
Columbia: 28
Yale: 10
Chicago: 5
Berkeley: 8

Interesting...

Some schools have a huge disparity, others either have one or two MORE black males and some have roughly the same....Penn has more black males than black females. This was evident when I visited. There was definitely a relatively strong AA male presence. I'm kind of feeling Cornell though....very little competition for girls into black guys! :lol:

SMDH you a fool bruh lol. In those icy mountains every woman is a strobe light honey!

LOL. Probably so. Come to think of it, are there even any strobe lights within a 300 mile radius of Cornell? It probably takes awhile to get to civilization.

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 pm

IN @ Cornell today!

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:31 pm

elm84dr wrote:IN @ Cornell today!

Congrats

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:49 pm

Had events from 4-8 so I missed the call, but I got a call from Dean Ingram at UT-Austin offering admission. I must say that I have now missed the call from both UPenn and UT...a little anticlimactic...the in-state tuition will have to come into play...does anybody know if UT offers scholarship info over the phone?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:14 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:Had events from 4-8 so I missed the call, but I got a call from Dean Ingram at UT-Austin offering admission. I must say that I have now missed the call from both UPenn and UT...a little anticlimactic...the in-state tuition will have to come into play...does anybody know if UT offers scholarship info over the phone?

I missed UT's call about a month ago. They didn't mention anything about a scholarship on the voice mail. Then I got a 45K scholarship offer with the rest of my admission stuff in the mail. There is still hope.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:17 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:Had events from 4-8 so I missed the call, but I got a call from Dean Ingram at UT-Austin offering admission. I must say that I have now missed the call from both UPenn and UT...a little anticlimactic...the in-state tuition will have to come into play...does anybody know if UT offers scholarship info over the phone?

I missed UT's call. They didn't mention anything about a scholarship on the voice mail. Then I got a 45K scholarship offer with the rest of my admission stuff in the mail. There is still hope.

Good deal. I doubt I am in for such a good deal, but in-state tuition is a good deal regardless.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:Is it me or is there an extreme lack of AA men trying to go to law school? I went to an ASD and I was the ONLY one there. Am I living in a bubble or is the way it's always been?

I am not surprised. I went through the NALP website the other day and only 123 AA men matriculated last year (Fall 2010) at T14 schools. The breakdown is below:

UVA 8
Georgetown 16
Harvard 31
Stanford 8
Columbia 8
Cornell 3
Yale 5
Berkeley 8
Michigan 7
Penn 12
NYU 1O
Duke 9
Chicago 4
Northwestern 14

Total = 123

If this cycle is any indication, they dont seem too concerned.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Congrats

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:35 pm

Does anyone know how Duke is with URMs and schollies (from hearing past anecdotes since they've just started sending out the info). My scholarship letter was just mailed today, and I'm just wondering what to expect. I know they've really been hurting for URM students (that's what my student host said when I visited), and I actually really love Duke. If they give me something decent and Penn and NYU don't, I would definitely consider Duke. Anyway, I'm just trying to speculate what this letter will contain while I wait here impatiently for it to get across the country.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:40 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:Is it me or is there an extreme lack of AA men trying to go to law school? I went to an ASD and I was the ONLY one there. Am I living in a bubble or is the way it's always been?

I am not surprised. I went through the NALP website the other day and only 123 AA men matriculated last year (Fall 2010) at T14 schools. The breakdown is below:

UVA 8
Georgetown 16
Harvard 31
Stanford 8
Columbia 8
Cornell 3
Yale 5
Berkeley 8
Michigan 7
Penn 12
NYU 1O
Duke 9
Chicago 4
Northwestern 14

Total = 123

If this cycle is any indication, they dont seem too concerned.

Looking at your cycle hard to deny you! Congrats on all the success. hurry up and make a decision so you can get some folks off the wait list! :P

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:56 pm

law_monkey wrote:Does anyone know how Duke is with URMs and schollies (from hearing past anecdotes since they've just started sending out the info). My scholarship letter was just mailed today, and I'm just wondering what to expect. I know they've really been hurting for URM students (that's what my student host said when I visited), and I actually really love Duke. If they give me something decent and Penn and NYU don't, I would definitely consider Duke. Anyway, I'm just trying to speculate what this letter will contain while I wait here impatiently for it to get across the country.

Nvm, saw your post in the Duke c/o 2014 thread. About to look at my status checker

How were you able to find out that your scholarship letter was mailed today?
Just curious (as I am also waiting for money from duke after being admitted in early January).

pkmeplz

Postby pkmeplz » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:36 pm

LLB2JD wrote:

UVA 8
Georgetown 16
Harvard 31
Stanford 8
Columbia 8
Cornell 3
Yale 5
Berkeley 8
Michigan 7
Penn 12
NYU 1O
Duke 9
Chicago 4
Northwestern 14

Total = 123

Tighten up that research son, your numbers are for Fall 2009.

pkmeplz

Postby pkmeplz » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:40 pm

law_monkey wrote:Does anyone know how Duke is with URMs and schollies (from hearing past anecdotes since they've just started sending out the info). My scholarship letter was just mailed today, and I'm just wondering what to expect. I know they've really been hurting for URM students (that's what my student host said when I visited), and I actually really love Duke. If they give me something decent and Penn and NYU don't, I would definitely consider Duke. Anyway, I'm just trying to speculate what this letter will contain while I wait here impatiently for it to get across the country.

Ask your host what they got. Best guess, $48,000.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:41 pm

pkmeplz wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

UVA 8
Georgetown 16
Harvard 31
Stanford 8
Columbia 8
Cornell 3
Yale 5
Berkeley 8
Michigan 7
Penn 12
NYU 1O
Duke 9
Chicago 4
Northwestern 14

Total = 123

Tighten up that research son, your numbers are for Fall 2009.

Ok that point serves as what? Did the numbers triple or quadruple in a year? Because if not there is still a sad disparity :!:

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:18 am

yngblkgifted wrote:

I missed UT's call about a month ago. They didn't mention anything about a scholarship on the voice mail. Then I got a 45K scholarship offer with the rest of my admission stuff in the mail. There is still hope.

same thing except I got $84,000

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:36 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

same thing except I got $84,000

Well, excuse the hell out out me. Not everyone can possess your level of awesomeness! :lol:

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:13 pm

LLB2JD wrote:

Congrats

Thanks!

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:15 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

Congrats

Thanks!

+1. And lol at unc0mm0n1 stuntin all up ITT :lol:

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:29 pm

A few things I've seen on this last page have made me laugh. 1) Tkgarret still taking shots at Columbia LOL. 2) uncommon makin it rain. 3) The black male matriculation at top law schools...but that's because if I don't laugh I'll cry.

We might as well get acquainted with each other in this thread...we're composing like 1/5 of the AA population at T14 universities :lol:

With all that said, I'm not convinced that Duke doesn't like me. Come on DUke...I grew up a Blue Devil basketball fan and it's been since November. There's nothing left to review. Though, life in Durham might not be where it's at from what I'm hearing. But if enough people from TLS go...I'll deal :lol: .

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:35 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:A few things I've seen on this last page have made me laugh. 1) Tkgarret still taking shots at Columbia LOL. 2) uncommon makin it rain. 3) The black male matriculation at top law schools...but that's because if I don't laugh I'll cry.

We might as well get acquainted with each other in this thread...we're composing like 1/5 of the AA population at T14 universities :lol:

With all that said, I'm not convinced that Duke doesn't like me. Come on DUke...I grew up a Blue Devil basketball fan and it's been since November. There's nothing left to review. Though, life in Durham might not be where it's at from what I'm hearing. But if enough people from TLS go...I'll deal :lol: .

Which school(s) are you leaning towards now my dude?

timmna

Postby timmna » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:38 pm

Who else is waiting patiently for AnBryce finalists to come out?

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:43 pm

timmna wrote:Who else is waiting patiently impatiently for AnBryce finalists to come out?

FTFM.

timmna

Postby timmna » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:49 pm

RJ127 wrote:
timmna wrote:Who else is waiting patiently impatiently for AnBryce finalists to come out?

FTFM.

Yeah, there's something about a full ride at an amazing school that makes you lose your cool.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:51 pm

RJ127 wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:A few things I've seen on this last page have made me laugh. 1) Tkgarret still taking shots at Columbia LOL. 2) uncommon makin it rain. 3) The black male matriculation at top law schools...but that's because if I don't laugh I'll cry.

Columbia/NYU right now. I wish I would've had time do the Ann Bryce. I just wanted that app out as soon as possible and Political Economy papers/exams are no joke...especially if you haven't taken econ courses. Did Duke hit you up with an aid package yet? I'm still waiting to hear from Penn/Harvard/Duke. I kind of want this cycle to be over honestly.

Did G-town just email anyone else about scholarship money, grants, etc.? It was the second time, but they still had no money info because last time I had no money info LOL.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

Columbia/NYU right now. I wish I would've had time do the Ann Bryce. I just wanted that app out as soon as possible and Political Economy papers/exams are no joke...especially if you haven't taken econ courses. Did Duke hit you up with an aid package yet? I'm still waiting to hear from Penn/Harvard/Duke. I kind of want this cycle to be over honestly.

Did G-town just email anyone else about scholarship money, grants, etc.? It was the second time, but they still had no money info because last time I had no money info LOL.

Nah, still waiting on some $$ love from Duke. I'm leaning towards NYC as well though. We'll see if what happens if CLS comes through but for now, I'm content with NYU. If a scholly from NYU materializes, sign me up yesterday.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”