URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6045
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck in your application cycle. Also, if anyone has questions about their cycle I'm available to give some advice from my (limited) experience. Check the profile.

Also, Re: GPA Addendum

It's generally understood that writing an addendum that essential says "I was lazy/irresponsible my freshman year" is not going to do much (if any) good for your application. Many argue it actually hurts more than it helps.

Miranda 18
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Miranda 18 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck in your application cycle. Also, if anyone has questions about their cycle I'm available to give some advice from my (limited) experience. Check the profile.



How was your cycle experience? Would you mind sharing your timeline on acceptances and when you sent your applications out? And what made you pick NYU? (I'm considering doing ED there but am still undecided)

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:55 pm

...
Last edited by s0ph1e2007 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
blackwater88
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby blackwater88 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:14 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Anyone want to read my DS?
AI female.
I'd really appreciate it.
Also, I need to cut it down a little bit for my Michigan application.
On the other apps I'll leave it at 1.5 pages, which is where it is now.

I'll read yours too! Philosophy and English major. My job during the school year is to edit papers at a top school.


I can read it but can only help with content, not very good with grammar. Mind reading mine too? :D

margy2468
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby margy2468 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:54 pm

Hello Everyone!
I'm currently on a deferral and will be attending Penn Law next fall. I found the URM thread extremely helpful during my cycle and just wanted to volunteer to take a look at P and D Statements for anyone in the group if they need a 2nd set of eyes. Feel free to PM me :)

User avatar
blackwater88
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby blackwater88 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:55 pm

margy2468 wrote:Hello Everyone!
I'm currently on a deferral and will be attending Penn Law next fall. I found the URM thread extremely helpful during my cycle and just wanted to volunteer to take a look at P and D Statements for anyone in the group if they need a 2nd set of eyes. Feel free to PM me :)


I'm gonna take you up on the offer margy :D Is it ok if I PM you with it tomorrow?

margy2468
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby margy2468 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:04 am

blackwater88 wrote:
margy2468 wrote:Hello Everyone!
I'm currently on a deferral and will be attending Penn Law next fall. I found the URM thread extremely helpful during my cycle and just wanted to volunteer to take a look at P and D Statements for anyone in the group if they need a 2nd set of eyes. Feel free to PM me :)


I'm gonna take you up on the offer margy :D Is it ok if I PM you with it tomorrow?


Yup, no problem! I was an English major in undergrad, so it shouldn't take me too long to get it back to you.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:07 am

Been posting here for a few weeks, but have yet to join in on this seed. I know my cycle is going to be unpredictable (URM and a splitter to boot), but Im looking forward to it. Hopefully with my good PS and a decent LSAT score in October (shooting for 173+. Im only a few points away!) I can land into at least 1 T14. If not, I'll find myself at St. John's, lol. They like to give away lots of money...

Ben Reilly
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:08 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ben Reilly » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Finally got the chance to check out my LSAC academic summary report. Looks like my 3.99 got bumped up to a 4.0 due to the differences between the LSAC's grading scale and the one used by my school. Now for the LSAT...

User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby iamcutdacheck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:32 pm

If you are still in school should you submit your UGPA to the LSAC before you finish your last semester or after you finish, lets say Winter 2011?

Miranda 18
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Miranda 18 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Where is everyone applying this cycle? Anyone waiting on the October LSAT as well?

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Miranda 18 wrote:Where is everyone applying this cycle? Anyone waiting on the October LSAT as well?


Yes, Im waiting on the October test. I really wish October would hurry up and get here so I can stop worrying about it. I just want to take the test and be done with it.

I am applying to 3-4 T14s, but those are a bit of a reach. I kind of want to stay in DC, so I went for all of the DC schools except for Catholic, UDC, and Howard. For some reason though I am in love with St. John's, so Im really hoping I get accepted (which I believe I will) and get a healthy scholarship.

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby cartercl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:15 am

Miranda 18 wrote:Where is everyone applying this cycle? Anyone waiting on the October LSAT as well?


T-14: Michigan (ED) , Cornell, Columbia, and NYU, all of which I pretty much have no shot at. Had to try though.

Semi-reaches: WUSTL, Minnesota, Illinois, IU-B, Emory, Fordham, William and Mary, Wisconsin

Targets: SMU, Tulane, Cardozo, LSU, Houston, St. John's, Brooklyn, Miami, Loyola-Chicago, Seton Hall

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:38 am

Ben Reilly wrote:Finally got the chance to check out my LSAC academic summary report. Looks like my 3.99 got bumped up to a 4.0 due to the differences between the LSAC's grading scale and the one used by my school. Now for the LSAT...


oh gosh,
I'm not jealous at all right now :x haha

if you can pull even a decent LSAT you will be headed for Yale for sure

... oh, and don't write anything obnoxious in your PS or DS.... it would really be a shame if you messed it up that way lol
Hey, I'll edit it for you and then i can attend Yale vicariously lol

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:51 am

probably really stupid to rank that with all the info I've posted about myself lol
Last edited by s0ph1e2007 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ill-literate
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ill-literate » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Miranda 18 wrote:Where is everyone applying this cycle? Anyone waiting on the October LSAT as well?


I want to pursue a dual degree (JD/Masters in Educational Policy), so I'm aiming for schools that either have established programs or good law/education schools.

1. UPenn
2. UVA
3. Vanderbilt
4. Boston College
5. W&M
6. GW
7. Illinois
8. UNC

*I would like to say Stanford and Columbia, but we're all aware of their tendencies.

Miranda 18
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Miranda 18 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:36 pm

Its really exciting to see so many people trying to break the T14 I hope we all do!


I am still in the process of figuring out what schools I am applying to especially since I am waiting to take the October last (totally blew the first try)....if everything works out I will applying Early Decision to either University of Chicago or Northwestern. I really would like to be in Chicago, but a job opportunity in DC may make me rethink that and apply PT at Georgetown or GW.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:22 am

Ill-literate wrote:
Miranda 18 wrote:Where is everyone applying this cycle? Anyone waiting on the October LSAT as well?


I want to pursue a dual degree (JD/Masters in Educational Policy), so I'm aiming for schools that either have established programs or good law/education schools.

1. UPenn
2. UVA
3. Vanderbilt
4. Boston College
5. W&M
6. GW
7. Illinois
8. UNC

*I would like to say Stanford and Columbia, but we're all aware of their tendencies.



... what are their tendencies?
Stanford has a great dual education program...

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby 2011Cycle » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:27 am

VA, Northwestern, Duke, George Washington, Georgetown, Cornell, USC, Emory, Washington-St Louis, Miami, W&M, Illinois, Minnesota, Tulane, George Mason

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LAWLAW09 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:29 am

T14 and a few others.

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby cartercl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:22 am

.
Last edited by cartercl on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby timmna » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:29 am

Wanted to stop by and wish everyone luck! Schools are NYU, Georgetown, Cornell, WUSTL, and a couple others. Also, if anyone knows, how off is LSP in general for URMs?

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Rand M. » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:36 am

timmna wrote:Wanted to stop by and wish everyone luck! Schools are NYU, Georgetown, Cornell, WUSTL, and a couple others. Also, if anyone knows, how off is LSP in general for URMs?


Very off. You'll get a much better impression if you just ask the posters around here. A lot of people around here have watched at least a couple years of how numbers actually work out for URMs at particular schools. LSP does its best, but it's just an inadequate tool.

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby cartercl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:49 am

Rand M. wrote:
timmna wrote:Wanted to stop by and wish everyone luck! Schools are NYU, Georgetown, Cornell, WUSTL, and a couple others. Also, if anyone knows, how off is LSP in general for URMs?


Very off. You'll get a much better impression if you just ask the posters around here. A lot of people around here have watched at least a couple years of how numbers actually work out for URMs at particular schools. LSP does its best, but it's just an inadequate tool.


+1

The problem with LSP's statistics is that they are pretty much only comprised of outliers. This is most likely due to the self-selecting nature of LSN. You just don't get the bulk of URMs with lower scores posting their stats and acceptances on LSN. As a result, the data isn't sufficient enough to provide generalizations for URMs.

User avatar
Ill-literate
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ill-literate » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:54 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
Ill-literate wrote:
Miranda 18 wrote:Where is everyone applying this cycle? Anyone waiting on the October LSAT as well?


I want to pursue a dual degree (JD/Masters in Educational Policy), so I'm aiming for schools that either have established programs or good law/education schools.

1. UPenn
2. UVA
3. Vanderbilt
4. Boston College
5. W&M
6. GW
7. Illinois
8. UNC

*I would like to say Stanford and Columbia, but we're all aware of their tendencies.



... what are their tendencies?
Stanford has a great dual education program...


Indeed they do; it's probably the best that I've researched, but they have a tendency to only except future candidates that have saved the world in their own respective industries; those who have already accomplished unimaginable feats and are working on more. You now, individuals like "the most interesting man/women in the world" from the Dos Equis commercials. I don't quite consider myself to be there just yet.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests