URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LLB2JD » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:24 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Congrats Man!!!!


Thanks.

Congrats to Fresh!

To those with full ride offers, please know that I can't stop thinking about all the shit I'd do if I graduated from law school with "zero" debt and a damn good chance at pocketing $160,000+ 3 years from now. Much of it wouldn't be spent on me, but still, the thought leaves me with a 2 sec blank stare that's followed by a couple seconds of shaking my head back and forth. smh. lol


Good luck to the URMs that are like me and that can't wait until this never-ending process is over.



+1.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:51 pm

Held at Harvard. Not disappointed though. I'm happy to be anything at Harvard other than rejected. Anyone else get held?

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby timmna » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:02 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Held at Harvard. Not disappointed though. I'm happy to be anything at Harvard other than rejected. Anyone else get held?


I think a lot of us have been held since early Jan.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby law_monkey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:11 pm

timmna wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Held at Harvard. Not disappointed though. I'm happy to be anything at Harvard other than rejected. Anyone else get held?


I think a lot of us have been held since early Jan.


Yep. A ton of URMs and the rest of the TLS world have been held there. And congrats on Penn ksimon!! Penn's my FAAAAVVVEEE, so I'll probably be there this fall. Are you planning on going to the ASW?

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:13 pm

law_monkey wrote:
timmna wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Held at Harvard. Not disappointed though. I'm happy to be anything at Harvard other than rejected. Anyone else get held?


I think a lot of us have been held since early Jan.


Yep. A ton of URMs and the rest of the TLS world have been held there. And congrats on Penn ksimon!! Penn's my FAAAAVVVEEE, so I'll probably be there this fall. Are you planning on going to the ASW?


Can CLS pull you away from Penn, all things being equal?

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby law_monkey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:00 pm

RJ127 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
timmna wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Held at Harvard. Not disappointed though. I'm happy to be anything at Harvard other than rejected. Anyone else get held?


I think a lot of us have been held since early Jan.


Yep. A ton of URMs and the rest of the TLS world have been held there. And congrats on Penn ksimon!! Penn's my FAAAAVVVEEE, so I'll probably be there this fall. Are you planning on going to the ASW?


Can CLS pull you away from Penn, all things being equal?


Well first off it seems as if I will NEVER get a decision from CLS, admit or otherwise. But if I do get in it will definitely be something to consider. I really love Penn, so I will have to really love another school as much or more to turn it down if there's not a financial reason to sway my decision.

User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby jacketman03 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:30 am

Dinged at Northwestern yesterday.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby ksimon2007 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:45 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Edit: ^^^ to the poster above. My bad I forgot to quote.


Congrats!!! That is an awesome school! I've been Penn trolling ever since I visited and loved it!
If they can show a brotha some financial love, I will probably be going there!


Thank you and everybody else for the congrats.

Penn sort of throws a wrench, albeit a welcomed wrench, in my plans. UVA has been my focus and sort of remains that way for various reasons, but I certainly will be making a tough decision in the next month or so.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:22 pm

Congrats on all the good news everyone!! Getting a fin. aid offer lower than I wanted from Chicago means my cycle will probably go well into April. Starting to think its never going to end.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby law_monkey » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:32 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Congrats on all the good news everyone!! Getting a fin. aid offer lower than I wanted from Chicago means my cycle will probably go well into April. Starting to think its never going to end.


I'm sure it's a hard decision, but at least you have AMAAAAAAZING choices! :D

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby pixytree » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:56 am

ksimon2007 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Edit: ^^^ to the poster above. My bad I forgot to quote.


Congrats!!! That is an awesome school! I've been Penn trolling ever since I visited and loved it!
If they can show a brotha some financial love, I will probably be going there!


Thank you and everybody else for the congrats.

Penn sort of throws a wrench, albeit a welcomed wrench, in my plans. UVA has been my focus and sort of remains that way for various reasons, but I certainly will be making a tough decision in the next month or so.


Congrats! I love Philly and would love to go to UPenn, but I was waitlisted. UVA is at the top of my list too, as is Berkeley. But no money from either yet. I'm hoping they at least come through with some need-based aid. That full ride at Howard is looking better and better every day.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LLB2JD » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:43 am

pixytree wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Edit: ^^^ to the poster above. My bad I forgot to quote.


Congrats!!! That is an awesome school! I've been Penn trolling ever since I visited and loved it!
If they can show a brotha some financial love, I will probably be going there!


Thank you and everybody else for the congrats.

Penn sort of throws a wrench, albeit a welcomed wrench, in my plans. UVA has been my focus and sort of remains that way for various reasons, but I certainly will be making a tough decision in the next month or so.


Congrats! I love Philly and would love to go to UPenn, but I was waitlisted. UVA is at the top of my list too, as is Berkeley. But no money from either yet. I'm hoping they at least come through with some need-based aid. That full ride at Howard is looking better and better every day.


Oh wow, I would had thought Howard would be out of contention with the kind of options you have so far. As per UVA, word on the street is that we should not expect to hear anything before late March/Early April or thereabout.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:26 pm

law_monkey wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Congrats on all the good news everyone!! Getting a fin. aid offer lower than I wanted from Chicago means my cycle will probably go well into April. Starting to think its never going to end.


I'm sure it's a hard decision, but at least you have AMAAAAAAZING choices! :D


Definitely. For me, I think it is so frustrating because making decisions like this is literally my job so I try to keep thinking about it like I would a problem at work. Unfortunately, I just dont have near the kind of info. that I would need. Plus, its a lot more difficult to think of things in terms of % chances and standard deviations when it is your money instead of the company's.

Ctgrapefruit
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ctgrapefruit » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:00 pm

Been off for a while. So, first, congrats to everyone! (especially the Rubies) My cycle is pretty much over...just got into Yale!

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby 20121109 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Ctgrapefruit wrote:Been off for a while. So, first, congrats to everyone! (especially the Rubies) My cycle is pretty much over...just got into Yale!


YAY! Congratulations!!!!!! :)

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Ctgrapefruit wrote:Been off for a while. So, first, congrats to everyone! (especially the Rubies) My cycle is pretty much over...just got into Yale!


Congrats!! so I suppose you prefer YLS?

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby pixytree » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:38 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
pixytree wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Edit: ^^^ to the poster above. My bad I forgot to quote.


Congrats!!! That is an awesome school! I've been Penn trolling ever since I visited and loved it!
If they can show a brotha some financial love, I will probably be going there!


Thank you and everybody else for the congrats.

Penn sort of throws a wrench, albeit a welcomed wrench, in my plans. UVA has been my focus and sort of remains that way for various reasons, but I certainly will be making a tough decision in the next month or so.


Congrats! I love Philly and would love to go to UPenn, but I was waitlisted. UVA is at the top of my list too, as is Berkeley. But no money from either yet. I'm hoping they at least come through with some need-based aid. That full ride at Howard is looking better and better every day.


Oh wow, I would had thought Howard would be out of contention with the kind of options you have so far. As per UVA, word on the street is that we should not expect to hear anything before late March/Early April or thereabout.


I mean, I would love to go to one of my top choices, but the thought of six-figure debt gives me shivers...even with good LRAP programs.

Ctgrapefruit
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ctgrapefruit » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:00 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Ctgrapefruit wrote:Been off for a while. So, first, congrats to everyone! (especially the Rubies) My cycle is pretty much over...just got into Yale!


Congrats!! so I suppose you prefer YLS?


To be sure, I'll be visiting HLS, SLS, CLS and YLS in spring and make my decision after getting a better feel for each place.

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby jd20132013 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:33 am

On the subject of Yale...

Was talking to my dad and he informed me that his cousin who went to Yale Law and now works in the white house(I wouldn't say high up, but he isn't an errand boy or something) was pretty interested in my cycle and how it was going.

Do yall think it would be a good idea to ask him for a targeted Yale recommendation? I'm sure they won't review my app for another month at least, plenty of time to send it in.

Thoughts? Overkill? Idk...

Ctgrapefruit
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ctgrapefruit » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:22 am

jd20132013 wrote:On the subject of Yale...

Was talking to my dad and he informed me that his cousin who went to Yale Law and now works in the white house(I wouldn't say high up, but he isn't an errand boy or something) was pretty interested in my cycle and how it was going.

Do yall think it would be a good idea to ask him for a targeted Yale recommendation? I'm sure they won't review my app for another month at least, plenty of time to send it in.

Thoughts? Overkill? Idk...


When did you go complete? I didn't until late January....So, they may be reading you.

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby jd20132013 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:38 am

haven't gone complete yet :p just submitted the 13th...

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:17 am

jd20132013 wrote:haven't gone complete yet :p just submitted the 13th...



I think it could only help if he is able to write something substantive about you. I'm sure having a LOR from a White House aide is not something that most Law Schools see, but since it is Yale, half of the class might be connected in some way or the other to who-is-who in America the world.




Maybe you should ask GAIA. She usually has insights into stuff like this

User avatar
almightypush
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:19 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby almightypush » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:56 am

LLB2JD wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:haven't gone complete yet :p just submitted the 13th...



I think it could only help if he is able to write something substantive about you. I'm sure having a LOR from a White House aide is not something that most Law Schools see, but since it is Yale, half of the class might be connected in some way or the other to who-is-who in America the world.



this.

YLS wrote:
We strongly prefer letters from at least two faculty members who know your academic work directly. Professors who have worked with you on an individual basis—such as a senior thesis adviser or an honors adviser—are usually the best sources. Letters from employers are also acceptable, particularly for applicants who have been out of school for several years. Additional letters from college deans, chaplains, summer employers, and colleagues may be helpful, but we are most interested in letters from people who can realistically assess your academic potential.



if he's able to do the above, it would certainly be in your best interest to submit it. FWIW, i went the "two-faculty-members-and-an-employer-route," and that seemed to have worked in my favor. so, provided it isn't just filler, your additional letter should serve to only fortify your app.

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:27 am

Is it me or is there an extreme lack of AA men trying to go to law school? I went to an ASD and I was the ONLY one there. Am I living in a bubble or is the way it's always been?

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:43 am

blacklawboss wrote:Is it me or is there an extreme lack of AA men trying to go to law school? I went to an ASD and I was the ONLY one there. Am I living in a bubble or is the way it's always been?


I am not surprised. I went through the NALP website the other day and only 123 AA men matriculated last year (Fall 2010) at T14 schools. The breakdown is below:

UVA 8
Georgetown 16
Harvard 31
Stanford 8
Columbia 8
Cornell 3
Yale 5
Berkeley 8
Michigan 7
Penn 12
NYU 1O
Duke 9
Chicago 4
Northwestern 14

Total = 123




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest