URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
Byakuya769
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Byakuya769 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:50 pm

Come on schools... Give the middle some love!

LuBru
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LuBru » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:28 am

.
Last edited by LuBru on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby ksimon2007 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:55 am

LuBru wrote:accepted at U Chicago today! Could not have been more surprised. Had not even considered it since I never ever thought they'd let me in !


A hearty congrats to you! Never ceases to amaze me how this process turns out.

User avatar
sojasoph
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:14 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby sojasoph » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:41 am

waitslist at Chicago, UVA, Minn, Harvard blah!!
accepted NYU, Wustl, Alabama
AA male 178(retake) 3.2

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:47 am

ksimon2007 wrote:
LuBru wrote:accepted at U Chicago today! Could not have been more surprised. Had not even considered it since I never ever thought they'd let me in !


A hearty congrats to you! Never ceases to amaze me how this process turns out.


Congrats!!! That's awesome!
sojasoph wrote:waitslist at Chicago, UVA, Minn, Harvard blah!!
accepted NYU, Wustl, Alabama
AA male 178(retake) 3.2


YP? maybe? 178 AA male and wait listed anywhere makes me raise my left eyebrow in utter confusion.

Edit: 178 anybody for that matter.

Did you have any glaring grammatical/spelling mistakes in your statements? Either way, there is still hope for Yale and Stanford and you've always got NYU to fall back on (Not a bad option homie!)

LuBru
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LuBru » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:47 am

.
Last edited by LuBru on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby 20121109 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:56 am

sojasoph wrote:waitslist at Chicago, UVA, Minn, Harvard blah!!
accepted NYU, Wustl, Alabama
AA male 178(retake) 3.2


WL at Harvard? Do you mean hold? WL don't go out till April.

Also :shock: at your LSAT score. Where else did you apply?

User avatar
sojasoph
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:14 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby sojasoph » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:28 am

oh sorry I meant hold.

Also Columbia, Michigan, georgetown, texas, duke, stanford, cornell...

I didn't apply until the very begining of December so im thinking I shoud wait a year and apply again. I really wouldn't mind. I have some fun stuff I would like to do. What do you think?

I am a retake, but my score was never really low. My undergrad is 4th tier. I had two majors and it took me a little longer to graduate because of that, in addition to full time work while in undergrad. Those are the other things that I think may have impacted my application.
Last edited by sojasoph on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby 20121109 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:32 am

sojasoph wrote:oh sorry I meant hold.

Also Columbia, Michigan, georgetown, texas, duke, stanford, cornell...

I'm didn't apply until the very begining of December so im thinking I shoud wait a year and apply again. I really wouldn't mind I have some fun stuf I would like to do. What do you think?


To be honest, barring any red flags on your application, you should be fine. Your numbers are strong enough to not have the late completion date adversely affect you.

Wait it out and celebrate the imminent results :)

User avatar
sojasoph
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:14 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby sojasoph » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:41 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
sojasoph wrote:oh sorry I meant hold.

Also Columbia, Michigan, georgetown, texas, duke, stanford, cornell...

I'm didn't apply until the very begining of December so im thinking I shoud wait a year and apply again. I really wouldn't mind I have some fun stuf I would like to do. What do you think?


To be honest, barring any red flags on your application, you should be fine. Your numbers are strong enough to not have the late completion date adversely affect you.

Wait it out and celebrate the imminent results :)

I just saw this guy from last cycle with a 171 3.1 who got a full-ride to UVA and i'm wondering if I just need to apply again.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby 20121109 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:45 am

sojasoph wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
sojasoph wrote:oh sorry I meant hold.

Also Columbia, Michigan, georgetown, texas, duke, stanford, cornell...

I'm didn't apply until the very begining of December so im thinking I shoud wait a year and apply again. I really wouldn't mind I have some fun stuf I would like to do. What do you think?


To be honest, barring any red flags on your application, you should be fine. Your numbers are strong enough to not have the late completion date adversely affect you.

Wait it out and celebrate the imminent results :)

I just saw this guy from last cycle with a 171 3.1 who got a full-ride to UVA and i'm wondering if I just need to apply again.


When did that guy apply? Also, UVA is kinda notorious for YP, unless you put together an application that lets them know you truly want to attend.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:57 pm

sojasoph wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
sojasoph wrote:oh sorry I meant hold.

Also Columbia, Michigan, georgetown, texas, duke, stanford, cornell...

I'm didn't apply until the very begining of December so im thinking I shoud wait a year and apply again. I really wouldn't mind I have some fun stuf I would like to do. What do you think?


To be honest, barring any red flags on your application, you should be fine. Your numbers are strong enough to not have the late completion date adversely affect you.

Wait it out and celebrate the imminent results :)

I just saw this guy from last cycle with a 171 3.1 who got a full-ride to UVA and i'm wondering if I just need to apply again.


Where did he go to school? Ive been told that URMs tend to get a major boost if they are from an elite school/top HBCU.

User avatar
sojasoph
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:14 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby sojasoph » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:06 pm

yeah, he is ivy and applied in the beginning of Nov. I just thought I would at least get accepted.
I think I will just apply next year, but I'm worried that one of the things that hurts my app. is that i'm just teaching and tutoring. Nothing law related..

thanks guys

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LLB2JD » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:10 pm

sojasoph wrote:yeah, he is ivy and applied in the beginning of Nov. I just thought I would at least get accepted.
I think I will just apply next year, but I'm worried that one of the things that hurts my app. is that i'm just teaching and tutoring. Nothing law related..

thanks guys


This is not going to hurt you in any way or form.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:18 pm

sojasoph wrote:yeah, he is ivy and applied in the beginning of Nov. I just thought I would at least get accepted.
I think I will just apply next year, but I'm worried that one of the things that hurts my app. is that i'm just teaching and tutoring. Nothing law related..

thanks guys


Yeah the ivy will give him a big boost. FWIW, I kind of feel like my non-top undergrad has had a slightly non-positive impact on my cycle for my numbers. Not doing anything law related has no impact. I intentionally avoided doing law related stuff during undergrad.

quetzal_bird
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:45 am

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby quetzal_bird » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:06 pm

165/3.89/MA

reserve at CLS
waitlisted at UPenn

Admitted to UChicago, Georgetown, UTexas, and BU

I've heard nothing at all from Harvard, Stanford, NYU, Cornell, or Duke. UVA took two months to recognize me as a Virginia resident. Really anxious having to wait for them, definitely my top choice, or they were before Chicago

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby pixytree » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:51 pm

In at UCLA! Not sure if I got money because I wont get home until Wed so I haven't seen my package yet. I've been traveling and got the message from the Dean days after he left it. But glad to get the call!

Still waiting: Berkeley, USC
In: NYU, UVA, Michigan, Howard (w/ fully scholly+), UNC, Northeastern
Waitlisted: UPenn

All i really want is Berkeley. UR there, should here in the next week.

Congrats to everyone else on what seems like very good cycles!!

serdog
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby serdog » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:19 pm

In at Charlotte with $32,000

User avatar
Byakuya769
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Byakuya769 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:32 pm

BC gave me 30/ year today

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby pixytree » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Byakuya769 wrote:BC gave me 30/ year today


congrats! a top choice?

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Byakuya769 wrote:BC gave me 30/ year today

Yeah they gave me 35k/ a year today.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:17 pm

In at Duke via email!

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby ksimon2007 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:18 pm

RJ127 wrote:In at Duke via email!


Congrats! When did you get the e-mail. I am waiting to hear back from Duke as well. Did your status update?

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:20 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:In at Duke via email!


Congrats! When did you get the e-mail. I am waiting to hear back from Duke as well. Did your status update?


10 minutes ago. Applied 12/1. UR 12/22 --> 2/8. Status updated to "Decision Made: Watch for Email" 2/11.

ETA: Thanks!

User avatar
Byakuya769
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Byakuya769 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:39 pm

pixytree wrote:
Byakuya769 wrote:BC gave me 30/ year today


congrats! a top choice?

Nah, not really




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests