URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Non-Chalant1

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:24 pm

I have no idea what BPE means, but I'm sitting here in no man's land with Fresh at Columbia.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:59 pm

Just got an email from Cornell saying that my application is complete? Really Cornell? I submitted it the day after Thanksgiving! Is it taking anybody else a long time to hear any news from Ithaca?

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Tycal wrote:
masterthearts wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:yep held at Columbia.. dont know what to think about this.

Well, they are probably convinced you'd have better options. Besides, applications are way down this year so these schools are being very crafty with their admissions.

What makes you say apps are way down? The email says they're way up.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/ ... ions-fall/

Interesting article. But, while applications are down in general (per the article), it is possible that Columbia has an increase (as well as peer institutions). It's possible fewer are applying to the TTT schools, thus bringing the numbers down. But, more might be applying to the top schools in the hopes that they will get in and ultimately beat the odds and get a job.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:08 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Just got an email from Cornell saying that my application is complete? Really Cornell? I submitted it the day after Thanksgiving! Is it taking anybody else a long time to hear any news from Ithaca?

Great tar! I remember seeing common at the metro near Wrigley! Awesome show. Whats your favorite album by him?

CryingMonkey

Postby CryingMonkey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:25 pm

fwiw, i still haven't heard from nyu, columbia, or stanford. in everywhere else t14 except for yale and penn, to which i didn't apply, and duke, from which i withdrew my application.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Are you willing to share your stats ? Congratulations !

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:37 pm

saldanar wrote:Applied:
Georgetown
Harvard
Yale
UChicago
Berkeley
NYU
Columbia
Michigan
UPenn

Rejected:
Harvard

Held:
Georgetown

Accepted:
Berkeley
UChicago
Michigan
Yale

Please know that I will not share LSAT and GPA for several reasons (not all of which I will list). Most importantly, my GPA and LSAT will not let other individuals know about their "chances" of admission to the schools that admitted me. Secondly, I applied very early to all of the schools (except UPenn). I believe that applying early gave my application more of an edge.

No shame or blame in admitting that your "softs", your savvy and your dilligence got you in. Those tyhings are every bit as important as a high GPA and LSAT score. Be proud of yourself, because you deserve your success. Congrats to you!

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:39 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Just got an email from Cornell saying that my application is complete? Really Cornell? I submitted it the day after Thanksgiving! Is it taking anybody else a long time to hear any news from Ithaca?

Great tar! I remember seeing common at the metro near Wrigley! Awesome show. Whats your favorite album by him?

Gonna hijack this question and respond with Resurrection/One Day It'll All Make Sense.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:06 pm

Yes I still haven't gone complete, I believe.
I'm about to withdraw though so...

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Hey guys, if you applied to Yale did you include a diversity statement? They don't say not to send one but they seem to be a little less eager to accept one from looking at the blog.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:40 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I love "Be." But I have recently found my self keeping Finding Forever in heavy rotation on my iPod. My favorite song would probably have to be 'U Black Maybe' on that album.

jd20132013 wrote:Hey guys, if you applied to Yale did you include a diversity statement? They don't say not to send one but they seem to be a little less eager to accept one from looking at the blog.

I didn't, but I'm pretty sure I'm not getting in so... But I doubt it will severely hinder your application if you did. If you've got the numbers, ec's, recs etc.. you should be fine. If you don't, then you won't be fine.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:45 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I love "Be." But I have recently found my self keeping Finding Forever in heavy rotation on my iPod. My favorite song would probably have to be 'U Black Maybe' on that album.

jd20132013 wrote:Hey guys, if you applied to Yale did you include a diversity statement? They don't say not to send one but they seem to be a little less eager to accept one from looking at the blog.

I didn't, but I'm pretty sure I'm not getting in so... But I doubt it will severely hinder your application if you did. If you've got the numbers, ec's, recs etc.. you should be fine. If you don't, then you won't be fine.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

I haven't listened to it in Forever (no pun intended), but the way that one song began...I think it's Forever Begins. Where he's like "In a world full of Hennessey and guns....too young for the marches BUT I remember these drums." That combined with the beat always gives me chills.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:49 pm

I've never been a huge common listener. Just one of those artists whose skill I recognize but I can't get into for whatever reason. I do enjoy Be though.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:51 pm

jd20132013 wrote:I've never been a huge common listener. Just one of those artists whose skill I recognize but I can't get into for whatever reason. I do enjoy Be though.

Be was a great all around album. He's been downhill since then but Finding Forever has its moments. I'd probably put him in my top 10 favorite rappers of all time. But Nas, Jay, 2Pac = holy trinity >>>>>

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:50 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:I've never been a huge common listener. Just one of those artists whose skill I recognize but I can't get into for whatever reason. I do enjoy Be though.

Be was a great all around album. He's been downhill since then but Finding Forever has its moments. I'd probably put him in my top 10 favorite rappers of all time. But Nas, Jay, 2Pac = holy trinity >>>>>

You guys are all definitely black, where is Big Pun on that list? Come on, show your hispanic cousins some love.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:57 pm

What about Common's earlier albums? I havent given them a real listen but they're supposedly classics/near classics

But yeah Jay is on my list the greatest alive followed by Eminem, used to be neck and neck but Eminem has unfortunately fallen off a bit

as far as Pun he's unquestionably great, I just would rather listen to Jay. the beautiful thing about rap is that there are so many great artists...my "top ten" would have like 20 artists

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:05 am

[/quote]
I haven't listened to it in Forever (no pun intended), but the way that one song began...I think it's Forever Begins. Where he's like "In a world full of Hennessey and guns....too young for the marches BUT I remember these drums." That combined with the beat always gives me chills.[/quote]

..."Hand me a joint, good music, and room to breathe. Those that doubt Com' will soon believe" 'Forgiver Begins' is a VERY close second IMO.

Non-Chalant1 wrote:

Nice Trinity right there. Though I am not sure who would be 'HYS' of rappers, I would have to say that Eminem should be mentioned in the same breath as the three aforementioned. His flow and wordplay has been and always will be ridiculous. Also,The Marshall Mathers LP was one of the best hip hop albums of all time IMO. It is one of the few albums I can listen to uninterrupted from start to finish (Ok except for maybe the 'Real Slim Shady').

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:06 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:

You guys are all definitely black, where is Big Pun on that list? Come on, show your hispanic cousins some love.

Ridiculous flow and breathe control. There was no excuse for someone that size to rap like that and I'm not making a joke. Where he got it in him I don't know. But Pun in his prime could rap with anyone.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:07 am

yngblkgifted wrote:

I haven't listened to it in Forever (no pun intended), but the way that one song began...I think it's Forever Begins. Where he's like "In a world full of Hennessey and guns....too young for the marches BUT I remember these drums." That combined with the beat always gives me chills.[/quote]

..."Hand me a joint, good music, and room to breathe. Those that doubt Com' will soon believe" 'Forgiver Begins' is a VERY close second IMO.

Non-Chalant1 wrote:

Nice Trinity right there. Though I am not sure who would be 'HYS' of rappers, I would have to say that Eminem should be mentioned in the same breath as the three aforementioned. His flow and wordplay has been and always will be ridiculous. Also,The Marshall Mathers LP was one of the best hip hop albums of all time IMO. It is one of the few albums I can listen to uninterrupted from start to finish (Ok except for maybe the 'Real Slim Shady').[/quote]

MMLP was one of the best CDs of the last decade. I didn't like Relapse at all though and Encore was so terrible. His latest effort gave me some hope. As far as pure talent goes, he's as talented as anyone who has ever rapped and once you get into that territory it just starts to become personal preference.
Last edited by Non-Chalant1 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:08 am

the HYS of rappers

I like this haha

I suppose right now for me as far as those alive it would be JEL, for Lupe...or lil wayne :shock:

I'm not sure if I could put Kanye up there as a rapper but on a more holistic view he starts to push the top group.
perhaps he's the Berkeley of the rap game?

i'm clearly losing my mind working on this Yale 250

EDIT: Btw I was one of the few people that loved Relapse. It's probably my 2nd favorite Eminem album
Last edited by jd20132013 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:09 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:

Much love for the South Bronx. Even Fat Joe has killed many tracks in my opinion. :lol:

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:11 am

jd20132013 wrote:
the HYS of rappers

I like this haha

I suppose right now for me as far as those alive it would be JEL, for Lupe...or lil wayne :shock:

I'm not sure if I could put Kanye up there as a rapper but on a more holistic view he starts to push the top group.

EDIT: Btw I was one of the few people that loved Relapse. It's probably my 2nd favorite Eminem album

Relapse from a technical stand point was nice but that ridiculous accent he did made it intolerable.

I have no intention on going to Yale though, good luck with that though. H is the only one I applied to.

P.S. I hate what Wayne has become. "I'm on like a television." That's when I knew hip hop was on life support.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:13 am

Hey as long as you feel the technical niceness of what he did I can't argue with anyone who hated the accent.

I don't personally mind it but I definitely see how people hate it

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:15 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:
the HYS of rappers

I like this haha

Relapse from a technical stand point was nice but that ridiculous accent he did made it intolerable.

I have no intention on going to Yale though, good luck with that though. H is the only one I applied to.

P.S. I hate what Wayne has become. "I'm on like a television." That's when I knew hip hop was on life support.

I mean Wayne has questionable metaphors, but his solid shit is super solid. "Real G's move in silence, like lasagna". I mean, that's nice and he just dropped that one. Weezy was in his prime circa 2007. That prometh messed him up. Weezy has always been one of my favorite punch line lyricists, but it's too easy to hate on him because of the messed up shit he says. If you focus on the clever lyrics, he is nice.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:17 am

jd20132013 wrote:
the HYS of rappers

I like this haha

Hahahahaha

Kanye may not have a shot at "HYS" but Berkeley would be all over him. Especially since he can now add My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy to his resume. Plus I'm sure he would get letter's of recommendation from anyone he ever made a beat for (Jay-z owes him something for the Blueprint). Kanye holistically is a musical genius.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”