URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
LAWLAW09

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Postby LAWLAW09 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 pm

anybody held at Columbia?

:|

timmna

Postby timmna » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:anybody held at Columbia?

I was. And I've seen at least 5 other URMs held in the Columbia thread. It's pretty depressing.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm

Survived the hold. Not sure if survived is the right term just yet but we will all find out soon, I'm sure.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:15 pm

timmna wrote:

I was. And I've seen at least 5 other URMs held in the Columbia thread. It's pretty depressing.

TK was held but I'm not sure if Fresh was?

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:23 pm

timmna wrote:

I was also held at Columbia, and I'm sort of URM (I think I am, but TLS say's I'm not).
Just got the hold today, 2/2

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:40 pm

yep held at Columbia.. dont know what to think about this.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:41 pm

tkgrrett wrote:yep held at Columbia.. dont know what to think about this.

Strategically, it's just a mind boggling move. I'm sure it will turn people off to CLS. Really can't imagine why they are proceeding this way.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:47 pm

Well, they are probably convinced you'd have better options. Besides, applications are way down this year so these schools are being very crafty with their admissions.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:14 pm

LLB2JD wrote:

Well, they are probably convinced you'd have better options. Besides, applications are way down this year so these schools are being very crafty with their admissions.

What makes you say apps are way down? The email says they're way up.

Tycal

Postby Tycal » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:00 am

masterthearts wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

What makes you say apps are way down? The email says they're way up.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/ ... ions-fall/

Kaitlyn

Postby Kaitlyn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:33 pm

Wow, I'm really shocked by the URM Columbia holds. There must be some serious YPing going on over there since many of you guys are locks/have already been admitted to Harvard- or else they want to make scholly offers later on? I'm curious to see what the pattern was for URM applicants to Columbia last year- but too lazy to dig up the old thread right now. Either way, I'm not worried about you guys. <3

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:03 pm

I think some of y'all are getting YP for sure (especially tk and Fresh...I mean COME ON). I did not get a hold. :| So I'm assuming ding ding ding. I want either NYU or Columbia as my #1 right now. My numbers are so damn in the middle that my cycle has been long as hell. I applied early November and have only heard from two of twelve schools.

Postby 20121109 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:12 pm

I really hope all the talk about YP at Columbia is a joke. I mean, you guys have to be facetious, right?

Columbia doesn't YP...They give out Hamiltons, instead.

I dk what is going on with their admissions process right now, but there must be some method to their madness. Given all the reserves recently, hold is a good place to be, especially with the numbers some of you guys have.

Wait it out...I anticipate good news.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Sinra wrote:I think some of y'all are getting YP for sure (especially tk and Fresh...I mean COME ON). I did not get a hold. :| So I'm assuming ding ding ding. I want either NYU or Columbia as my #1 right now. My numbers are so damn in the middle that my cycle has been long as hell. I applied early November and have only heard from two of twelve schools.

I'm in the same boat as you, especially now that reserves have gone out and my inbox is still untouched. I think I got a little overconfident after NYU. I definitely wasn't banking on an acceptance to CLS, but I was hoping to make it to the waitlist. There are so many URMs that have been held, so I'm a little sad about this outright ding. Oh well! You win some, you lose some!

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:17 pm

law_monkey wrote:I'm in the same boat as you, especially now that reserves have gone out and my inbox is still untouched. I think I got a little overconfident after NYU. I definitely wasn't banking on an acceptance to CLS, but I was hoping to make it to the waitlist. There are so many URMs that have been held, so I'm a little sad about this outright ding. Oh well! You win some, you lose some!

Sorry but I'm not buying the
'No VCE yet + No WL + No Hold = Ding' Theory

Just keep hanging on. I'm in the same boat as you!

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Fresh wrote:
law_monkey wrote:I'm in the same boat as you, especially now that reserves have gone out and my inbox is still untouched. I think I got a little overconfident after NYU. I definitely wasn't banking on an acceptance to CLS, but I was hoping to make it to the waitlist. There are so many URMs that have been held, so I'm a little sad about this outright ding. Oh well! You win some, you lose some!

+1. We'll just have to ride it out.

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:26 pm

Fresh wrote:

Agree. Besides the fact that I'm in the boat with you folks :), if that theory is true, Columbia is about to either ding or make decisions in late April on a lot of high scoring applicants/URMs whose applications are already IN at a lot of other great schools. I'm hoping they are a lil more savvy than that.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:31 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Sinra wrote:I think some of y'all are getting YP for sure (especially tk and Fresh...I mean COME ON). I did not get a hold. :| So I'm assuming ding ding ding. I want either NYU or Columbia as my #1 right now. My numbers are so damn in the middle that my cycle has been long as hell. I applied early November and have only heard from two of twelve schools.

I'm in the same boat as you, especially now that reserves have gone out and my inbox is still untouched. I think I got a little overconfident after NYU. I definitely wasn't banking on an acceptance to CLS, but I was hoping to make it to the waitlist. There are so many URMs that have been held, so I'm a little sad about this outright ding. Oh well! You win some, you lose some!

I have only received love from Cali schools--Berkeley and UCLA. Otherwise the NYC schools have just been utterly silent. I got that weird "sorry you've been waiting" email from Michigan but that's about it. These days make me regret messing up that damn game on the LSAT.

I agree with Fresh that I don't think it means auto-ding....a lot of you guys have really really strong LSAT scores as well as high GPAs. I can't see them dinging you. It just doesn't make sense. Maybe they're trying to get a sense of the class before giving out acceptances or dings? It seems like maybe the cycle has been different overall no?

The only thing that makes me think YP is only TK and Fresh. I mean, they must assume you guys are going HYS.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:37 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:I really hope all the talk about YP at Columbia is a joke. I mean, you guys have to be facetious, right?

Columbia doesn't YP...They give out Hamiltons, instead.

I dk what is going on with their admissions process right now, but there must be some method to their madness. Given all the reserves recently, hold is a good place to be, especially with the numbers some of you guys have.

Wait it out...I anticipate good news.

Yea, Idk whats going on with Columbia but no way all the holds are getting rejected.. Unless they are aggressively trying to improve their yield. It was just kind of shocking to get some major T-10 scholarships then a hold.

Also, Fresh hasnt heard anything yet. I dont believe he was held.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:41 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

Ah you are correct sir! My bad. Got all over-excited in my frustration. :oops:

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:48 pm

Sinra wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

I have only received love from Cali schools--Berkeley and UCLA. Otherwise the NYC schools have just been utterly silent. I got that weird "sorry you've been waiting" email from Michigan but that's about it. These days make me regret messing up that damn game on the LSAT.

I agree with Fresh that I don't think it means auto-ding....a lot of you guys have really really strong LSAT scores as well as high GPAs. I can't see them dinging you. It just doesn't make sense. Maybe they're trying to get a sense of the class before giving out acceptances or dings? It seems like maybe the cycle has been different overall no?

The only thing that makes me think YP is only TK and Fresh. I mean, they must assume you guys are going HYS.

I agree that it doesn't HAVE to equal ding. I think the forgotten pile is going to be mixed. There have to be a lot of rejections because it's a selective school. But I do think the higher numbers who haven't heard anything are safe. I would even go so far to argue that AFTER the ding emails go out, the people who are still standing with no email might actually feel pretty confident. However, some of us (NOT Fresh and some of the rest of you high numbers) haven't heard yet because the dings haven't gone out yet. CLS seems to like EOD news, so my prediction is that the thread is going to take a REALLY ugly turn today at about 4:30 EST.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:50 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Sinra wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

I agree that it doesn't HAVE to equal ding. I think the forgotten pile is going to be mixed. There have to be a lot of rejections because it's a selective school. But I do think the higher numbers who haven't heard anything are safe. I would even go so far to argue that AFTER the ding emails go out, the people who are still standing with no email might actually feel pretty confident. However, some of us (NOT Fresh and some of the rest of you high numbers) haven't heard yet because the dings haven't gone out yet. CLS seems to like EOD news, so my prediction is that the thread is going to take a REALLY ugly turn today at about 4:30 EST.

I'm dumb. What's EOD?

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:52 pm

Sinra wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

Ah you are correct sir! My bad. Got all over-excited in my frustration. :oops:

I haven't heard yet too.
Fresh not hearing too makes me feel better :)

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:03 pm

Sinra wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Sinra wrote:

I'm dumb. What's EOD?

End of day. You're not dumb since that's just a general acronym and not a TLS one. TLS ones are all you need!

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:13 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Sinra wrote:I'm dumb. What's EOD?

End of day. You're not dumb since that's just a general acronym and not a TLS one. TLS ones are all you need!

Thanks! Too true. As long as we know what VCE, BPE, TTT, and T14 mean we're all set.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”