URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
chrissyc

Bronze

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Post by chrissyc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:06 pm

in at Iowa and Berkeley so far. UF's letter is on the way. I submitted my FAFSA a few days ago.

What should I do for the other schools in the t14? Are there apps for schollys?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:55 pm

Wolverine Den wrote:Any named scholly?? Seems like no one has gotten one via mail yet.
No TK. I am pretty certain that any scholly info will be provided in the coming days/weeks after receiving an acceptance. Given that you want to end up in NYC, I am sure you would prefer an Hamilton over Harvard or a Stanford acceptance. Hold tight, hopefully you will get one.
Im actually somewhat anti-NYC lol. You are probably right about later scholly info but in past cycles it seems that it went out with acceptances.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:00 pm

Was getting worried about my Stanford file not being complete. then I remembered they're like 10 hours behind the east coast, lol

called them up and they found my Form B so I'm complete there.

Now I just have to finish this Yale 250...

elm84dr

Bronze

Post by elm84dr » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:02 pm

IN @ BC! Thank G-O-D!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Congrats!

Kaitlyn

Bronze

Post by Kaitlyn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:11 am

Last edited by Kaitlyn on Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:55 am

Kaitlyn wrote:
Thanks, congrats to you, too! I want to work in NYC out of law school, so Columbia is definitely a top choice at the moment- though I'll consider all financial aid packages/scholly opportunities. How about yourself? Would you take the Hamilton over H/Y/S if it came to that?
Congrats on the amazing acceptance!

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:32 am

elm84dr wrote:IN @ BC! Thank G-O-D!
Congrats!

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:51 pm

I know this has been discussed before, but have any of the Black applicants ITT talked to Black lawyers regarding $ vs school rank/prestige? If so, what were their thoughts?

My friend is in D.C. for GTown's ASW and had meetings with a AAF that works for The World Bank (Senior Counsel) and another AAF that works for a 'mid-size' firm (Of Counsel; 400-500 lawyers). One graduted from Columbia, the other NYU, and both recommended 'going where the money is' if the options were between 'top' schools. Both talked about the flexibility of not being burdened with debt (one of them married a public defender; the other was able to do nonprofit work for a few yrs and was later granted permission by her firm to take off for months at a time to work for Obama's campaign). Both credit not having a lot of debt and the relationships they formed with partners at their initial firms as the primary reasons for why they are where they are, why they've been able to do some nontraditional things, and why they don't hate (and have never hated) their professional lives.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:32 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:I know this has been discussed before, but have any of the Black applicants ITT talked to Black lawyers regarding $ vs school rank/prestige? If so, what were their thoughts?

My friend is in D.C. for GTown's ASW and had meetings with a AAF that works for The World Bank (Senior Counsel) and another AAF that works for a 'mid-size' firm (Of Counsel; 400-500 lawyers). One graduted from Columbia, the other NYU, and both recommended 'going where the money is' if the options were between 'top' schools. Both talked about the flexibility of not being burdened with debt (one of them married a public defender; the other was able to do nonprofit work for a few yrs and was later granted permission by her firm to take off for months at a time to work for Obama's campaign). Both credit not having a lot of debt and the relationships they formed with partners at their initial firms as the primary reasons for why they are where they are, why they've been able to do some nontraditional things, and why they don't hate (and have never hated) their professional lives.
Thanks for the insight! I'm sure a lot of us will really be mulling this over in the next couple months as we get closer to decision time.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

law_monkey wrote: I'm sure a lot of us will really be mulling this over in the next couple months as we get closer to decision time.
So true. I think about it every day to be honest... Michigan for free versus H? What about Y if I get in? What about Chi/CLS w/ $???

Every...single...day

CryingMonkey

Bronze

Post by CryingMonkey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:40 pm

this keeps me up at nights. i'm almost hoping i don't get a darrow so it's an easy choice to go harvard. but if i do i don't even know how to make that decision. for various reasons (family ties, etc) michigan is really attractive, and i'd probably go to michigan over either of the c's, but harvard...i mean, it's harvard. when i was a little kid and wanted to be a lawyer i dreamed of going to harvard law school. but...it's a lot of money.

gah.

on the other hand, i'm thankful that these are the problems i'm wrestling with.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:42 pm

CryingMonkey wrote:this keeps me up at nights. i'm almost hoping i don't get a darrow so it's an easy choice to go harvard. but if i do i don't even know how to make that decision. for various reasons (family ties, etc) michigan is really attractive, and i'd probably go to michigan over either of the c's, but harvard...i mean, it's harvard. when i was a little kid and wanted to be a lawyer i dreamed of going to harvard law school. but...it's a lot of money.

gah.

on the other hand, i'm thankful that these are the problems i'm wrestling with.
Thank you for keeping things in perspective.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:44 pm

CryingMonkey wrote: but if i do i don't even know how to make that decision. for various reasons (family ties, etc) michigan is really attractive, and i'd probably go to michigan over either of the c's, but harvard...i mean, it's harvard.
Uhh.. are you sure you're not me? Michigan is extremely extremely attractive for me for a bunch of reasons, but knowing I want to go in to firm work forces me to consider HY & CC. And I can't believe these are the options I have... i never thought I would be so lucky.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:17 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:I know this has been discussed before, but have any of the Black applicants ITT talked to Black lawyers regarding $ vs school rank/prestige? If so, what were their thoughts?

I have talked to lawyers and I have received different answers from different people. My choice is going to be either HS or a top school for free. I have no clue what I am going to do. Plus, the Darrow decision comes down for me in about a week and a half or so and that complicates things more if I get it b/c I really like Michigan and the Midwest

Also, the bolded describes me life perfectly
Fresh wrote: So true. I think about it every day to be honest... Michigan Virginia for free versus H? What about Y Darrow if I get in it? What about Chi/CLS w/ $???

Every...single...day

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:47 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

I have talked to lawyers and I have received different answers from different people. My choice is going to be either HS or a top school for free. I have no clue what I am going to do. Plus, the Darrow decision comes down for me in about a week and a half or so and that complicates things more if I get it b/c I really like Michigan and the Midwest

Also, the bolded describes me life perfectly
Fresh wrote: So true. I think about it every day to be honest... Michigan Virginia for free versus H? What about Y Darrow if I get in it? What about Chi/CLS w/ $???

Every...single...day
I vote for you coming to Virginia. Heck, I'll be going there too :D

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:24 pm

WL at Oklahoma for the Early Admission Program. I wouldn't be able to do their Early Admission Program anyways, so I guess I'll be declining to be placed on the waitlist.
At least it wasn't a straight out rejection.

LuBru

New

Post by LuBru » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Last edited by LuBru on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:41 pm

LuBru wrote:Ahh! Just got a $15k/yr scholarship at UT! Wasn't expecting this at all since my numbers are LOW. I was prepping myself to consider sticker price but this really helps. Austin is looking better every day....
Congrats! That's awesome!

LuBru

New

Post by LuBru » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:00 pm

Last edited by LuBru on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top14dreams

New

Post by Top14dreams » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:39 pm

Held at Harvard today, not in but so glad it wasn't an automatic reject :D

Congrats to everyone who has been admitted into schools already!!!!!

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Top14dreams wrote:Held at Harvard today, not in but so glad it wasn't an automatic reject :D

Congrats to everyone who has been admitted into schools already!!!!!
There's a pretty substantial amount of us her currently held at Harvard. Welcome to the group!!

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:01 pm

178/3.25 AA male non-ivy
UR 12/8 Harvard
Cant wait any longer, just ding me!!!! So I can continue my life.

LuBru

New

Post by LuBru » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:12 pm

Last edited by LuBru on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:59 pm

Dinged at Berkeley, in at Northwestern--hope for the URM splitter :D

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”