URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Sun May 15, 2011 1:50 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Sh@keNb@ke wrote:Hey all. I'm getting ready to apply in the fall and just finished up my PS and DS and was wondering if someone would like to give it a read? I think they're somewhat interesting stories so let me know if you can mark it up! Thanks!
Dude, it's May...shouldn't you be studying for the LSAT or something? Unless you are doing both you overachiever! :lol:

You can send them my way if you want.
I am doing both at the same time haha. I decided to push the June LSAT to October so I'm just balancing both at the moment. I had a couple of people review my PS so I'm making some revisions and then I can send it your way. Where will you be i the fall gifted?

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sun May 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Sh@keNb@ke wrote:Hey all. I'm getting ready to apply in the fall and just finished up my PS and DS and was wondering if someone would like to give it a read? I think they're somewhat interesting stories so let me know if you can mark it up! Thanks!
Dude, it's May...shouldn't you be studying for the LSAT or something? Unless you are doing both you overachiever! :lol:

You can send them my way if you want.
I am doing both at the same time haha. I decided to push the June LSAT to October so I'm just balancing both at the moment. I had a couple of people review my PS so I'm making some revisions and then I can send it your way. Where will you be i the fall gifted?
Sounds good. Just send it whenever. I'll be at UVA.

liltay357

New

Post by liltay357 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:42 pm

Anyone else USF bound?

Looking for housing options at this point.

Quan292

Bronze

Post by Quan292 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:02 am

This thread is super inspirational. congrats to everyone for their good work.

LawSuccess

New

Post by LawSuccess » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:39 pm

Last edited by LawSuccess on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:11 pm

LawSuccess wrote:Updated:
LawSuccess wrote:Haven't really updated,but here's where I stand:
WL NYU
WL NU
WL GULC - ACCEPTED TODAY
WL GWU
Reserve Cornell

Waiting on Columbia.
That suuuuucks! I'm so sorry.

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Top14dreams wrote:Congrats again to all the awesome acceptances in this thread!

In at NYU off the waitlist :D :D :D

To future applicants there is hope for getting off a waitlist!!! :D
congrats! Look forward to meeting you in the fall.

chiach1

New

Post by chiach1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:51 am

hey guys, congrats to all on incredible cycles.

I have a question in regards to one's resume in their application. how did you guys approach this? was the resume a detailed account of one's professional experiences (jobs worked), leadership experiences(campus groups) or community based activities (volunteer service)? Obviously I know a well crafted resume should include all 3, but which was the primary focus? Which angle should I approach the resume from?

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:24 pm

there's a lot of different views on how to handle the resume...personally, i just included the most relevant and prestigious things i had to go with.

this depends on a lot of factors, though. if you're well out of UG, putting campus groups and stuff is pretty irrelevant. if you're straight out of UG or have recently graduated, that may be the most substantial part of your resume. i do think, in general, that you can go over the typical '1-page' rule for application resumes, particularly if you have publications or something from other graduate work.

Quan292

Bronze

Post by Quan292 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:47 pm

In this resume should you include your professional references or should you leave them out because of your other LOR.

Speaking of LOR, is it better to have it be from someone somewhat related to law or does it not matter.

Also with the Ds is it wise to be critical of white america/ race relations or should you take the more tame route?

TatNurner

Bronze

Post by TatNurner » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:28 pm

^Since no one else has responded to your question I'll give it a go.

Conventional wisdom on TLS when it comes to LORs is that you prioritize getting them from someone who will give you a good one/knows you well, instead of of someone semi-important. If you can achieve both, great, but if you have to choose, go with somebody who knows you well (and isn't a close relation of some sort, of course).

Regarding the DS, my intuition is that it'd be bad news to be critical. You don't know who is reading this stuff and you don't want to come across angry or entitled.

southernsnapp

New

Post by southernsnapp » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:07 pm

chiach1 wrote:hey guys, congrats to all on incredible cycles.

I have a question in regards to one's resume in their application. how did you guys approach this? was the resume a detailed account of one's professional experiences (jobs worked), leadership experiences(campus groups) or community based activities (volunteer service)? Obviously I know a well crafted resume should include all 3, but which was the primary focus? Which angle should I approach the resume from?

I did a detailed resume with each subject. Since I'm going to a school with a big international focus and I wrote about how I want to study abroad and such, I included a section of all the international things I did. As I recall, my headings were Education, International Experience, Professional Experience, Community Involvement, and Other Honors and Activities. I had 1-2 bullets for everything I listed. If you need more info or would like to see it PM me. I read somewhere on tls about how your apps should have a common theme or something. So if it's possible, find that theme and put it in everything. I said something on the application question where it asked why I want to go to that school and backed it up with the story I told in my personal statement and stood out in my resume, and went well with the title of one of my recommenders.

Quan292

Bronze

Post by Quan292 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:31 pm

TatNurner wrote:^Since no one else has responded to your question I'll give it a go.

Conventional wisdom on TLS when it comes to LORs is that you prioritize getting them from someone who will give you a good one/knows you well, instead of of someone semi-important. If you can achieve both, great, but if you have to choose, go with somebody who knows you well (and isn't a close relation of some sort, of course).

Regarding the DS, my intuition is that it'd be bad news to be critical. You don't know who is reading this stuff and you don't want to come across angry or entitled.
Thank you Im starting on these resumes/DS/PS and I need them to be perfect.

chiach1

New

Post by chiach1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:34 am

thanks southernsnapp, I appreciate your advice.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”