URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dkt4

Bronze

Re: URM 2010-2011 Application Cycle

Post by dkt4 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:45 pm

big congrats :)

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:22 pm

saito816 wrote:Alright, cycle is over it turned out kind of weird... but I got into Harvard off the waitlist today :shock: :D . Surprisingly the only other T14 schools I got into were Cornell and Michigan, waitlisted everywhere else, although I didn't apply to S or Y... I guess URM cycles really are very unpredictable :)
Congrats!

chiach1

New

Post by chiach1 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:46 am

Congrats to everyone on a great cycle!! This thread will help those of us applying next cycle tremendously.

I hope someone who applied this cycle can help me with an issue I have.

I would like to start writing and revising my personal statement, diversity statement and Why Essay's starting this summer (June) so when September rolls around everything will be set. My questions are
1) Do the Essay questions change yearly?
2) when the application closes are the Essay questions still up?
3) And if essay questions are no longer posted on the school's sites could someone please post them?

Thanks

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Tue May 10, 2011 12:05 pm

chiach1 wrote:Congrats to everyone on a great cycle!! This thread will help those of us applying next cycle tremendously.

I would like to start writing and revising my personal statement, diversity statement and Why Essay's starting this summer (June) so when September rolls around everything will be set. My questions are
3) And if essay questions are no longer posted on the school's sites could someone please post them?

Thanks
1. Essay questions are generally the same (I used two different PS for all of my applications, and I only used two because I wasn't entirely happy with my first one after a while)

2. If you write a Why X and a diversity statement, you'll satisfy most schools' optional essay requirements. If you're applying to Yale, write a 250 word essay of your choice.

3. The only school that I know of that has specific essay requirements are NYU; and those are for named scholarships only.

One recommendation: Send a diversity statement to every school, even those that don't specifically ask for one.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue May 10, 2011 12:15 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
2. If you write a Why X and a diversity statement, you'll satisfy most schools' optional essay requirements. If you're applying to Yale, write a 250 word essay of your choice.
If my memory serves me right, Northwestern and Michigan have a what career and why x combo essay. but im too lazy to open the applications up again.

saito816

Bronze

Post by saito816 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:57 pm

chiach1 wrote:Congrats to everyone on a great cycle!! This thread will help those of us applying next cycle tremendously.

Thanks
One thing that wasn't clear enough for me after until after this cycle is the importance of a "Why X School" essay at certain schools even if it's not a requirement like at Michigan and Penn namely Duke and Virginia. I applied at D using the priority track without a Why Duke essay, and I think it led to me getting priority reserved, and Virginia it seems important to write one if you are out of state or you make your odds of ending up on their endless waitlist even greater.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Tue May 10, 2011 2:26 pm

saito816 wrote:

Thanks
One thing that wasn't clear enough for me after until after this cycle is the importance of a "Why X School" essay at certain schools even if it's not a requirement like at Michigan and Penn namely Duke and Virginia. I applied at D using the priority track without a Why Duke essay, and I think it led to me getting priority reserved, and Virginia it seems important to write one if you are out of state or you make your odds of ending up on their endless waitlist even greater.

I don't know how true the wisdom is about Why X. I didn't write a single Why essay and had a fairly successful cycle. I wonder if the advice about writing Why X isn't a bit of mixed up correlation and causation.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:03 pm

saito816 wrote:

Thanks
I wrote a why duke for priority track and didn't get in even though I got into about 6 higher ranked law schools. Including Virginia out of state (TBF, I also wrote a why Virginia).

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue May 10, 2011 4:10 pm

I wrote a why duke for priority track and didn't get in even though I got into about 6 higher ranked law schools. Including Virginia out of state (TBF, I also wrote a why Virginia).
To be fair, Duke is just weird. I wrote a why essay for Duke UniversiTTTy as well and I was waitlisted even though I was accepted to 5 higher ranked schools (2 of which were full rides). My stats also weren't good enough for YP. Of the 5 higer ranked schools I only wrote 1 why essay. who knows?

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue May 10, 2011 4:14 pm

^^^^ apparently black and white Avatars are in style ITT.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:28 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:^^^^ apparently black and white Avatars are in style ITT.
You know it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chiach1

New

Post by chiach1 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks alot for the replies guys.
1 more question though,
So is it wise to submit a DS in addition to school specific essay for schools that ask of them? Or are 3 essays (PS,DS Why essay) overkill and only 2 is necessary?

Thanks in advance

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:09 am

chiach1 wrote:Thanks alot for the replies guys.
1 more question though,
So is it wise to submit a DS in addition to school specific essay for schools that ask of them? Or are 3 essays (PS,DS Why essay) overkill and only 2 is necessary?

Thanks in advance
imo, its overkill.

if it makes you feel like your app will be more successful, do it. there's no harm in doing it, but i think that a PS is stronger if its a stand-alone essay for various reasons.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed May 11, 2011 1:36 am

dkt4 wrote:
1 more question though,

Thanks in advance
imo, its overkill.

if it makes you feel like your app will be more successful, do it. there's no harm in doing it, but i think that a PS is stronger if its a stand-alone essay for various reasons.
I don't think it is over-kill at all and like dkt4 said, there is no harm in doing it. The school that I am attending this fall got three statements from me.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:38 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
dkt4 wrote:
1 more question though,

Thanks in advance
imo, its overkill.

I don't think it is over-kill at all and like dkt4 said, there is no harm in doing it. The school that I am attending this fall got three statements from me.
Once again I agree with Biggie.

chiach1

New

Post by chiach1 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:25 am

thanks guys really appreciate it.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:28 am

yngblkgifted wrote: I don't think it is over-kill at all and like dkt4 said, there is no harm in doing it. The school that I am attending this fall got three statements from me.
yeah i can't say there's a definite downside to doing it really...i just thought that having to weave it all into one essay made me write a better PS. i'm sure that would change based on individual circumstances/topics.

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Wed May 11, 2011 3:39 pm

Just received a full scholarship to St. Johns, do I use it to bargain at Cardozo or Fordham? Or is it too weak of a piece to bring to the table?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed May 11, 2011 3:40 pm

Some of the best advice given to me was to consider the ps, ds, and why x essays as the interview. you may be able to combine them based on the topics, but no matter what you want to reader to walk away with a great picture of why they should admit you into your program or more importantly, why they cant reject you. a combination of who you are, what you bring to the table, and why you will succeed at their institution (and in life) is the best formula in the essays.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed May 11, 2011 3:42 pm

blacklawboss wrote:Just received a full scholarship to St. Johns, do I use it to bargain at Cardozo or Fordham? Or is it too weak of a piece to bring to the table?
what are you being offered from Cardozo and Fordham? (sorry, but too lazy to scroll back)
definitely bring it to the table, but the current $ Cardozo and Fordham are offering (or lack there of) will dictate how you present it.

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Thu May 12, 2011 10:35 am

Hey all. I'm getting ready to apply in the fall and just finished up my PS and DS and was wondering if someone would like to give it a read? I think they're somewhat interesting stories so let me know if you can mark it up! Thanks!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Thu May 12, 2011 10:50 am

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:Hey all. I'm getting ready to apply in the fall and just finished up my PS and DS and was wondering if someone would like to give it a read? I think they're somewhat interesting stories so let me know if you can mark it up! Thanks!
Dude, it's May...shouldn't you be studying for the LSAT or something? Unless you are doing both you overachiever! :lol:

You can send them my way if you want.

Top14dreams

New

Post by Top14dreams » Fri May 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Congrats again to all the awesome acceptances in this thread!

In at NYU off the waitlist :D :D :D

To future applicants there is hope for getting off a waitlist!!! :D

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Fri May 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Top14dreams wrote:Congrats again to all the awesome acceptances in this thread!

Congrats!!!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Fri May 13, 2011 7:27 pm

Thirteen wrote:
Top14dreams wrote:Congrats again to all the awesome acceptances in this thread!

Congrats!!!
Awesome!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”