Hey! URM questions...

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
MikeNorec

Hey! URM questions...

Postby MikeNorec » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:28 pm

PLSAT Scores: 170,176,171
LSAT Score: 173
URM: Hispanic ( Peurto Rican )

Can anyone give me an idea of what my chances might look like? I went to community college first (3.84GPA), graduating GSU in fall 10' with honors (3.92 GPA). I have had a full-time job since age 14, (yeah that is illegal) - but will community college hurt my law school chances? Thanks. My hopes are to apply somewhere in the T14, however my counselor is suggesting GSU Law, UGA, or Emory - because it is close to home and I am my younger brothers guardian.

*Edit, to those who PM'D me questioning the PLSAT scores -- I was just trying to show the consistency of my results... Also, I intern for a Yale graduate, who was my tutor and time keeper :D. I also received a PM questioning why I posted my stats? Well, when you look at your ''predictors'' - plenty of people troll your statistical information (Esp. URM numbers).

If I receive full rides instate, should I consider staying home?? My brother would have to move wherever I go..
Last edited by MikeNorec on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Hey! URM questions...

Postby 20121109 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:30 pm

F*ck your counselor. Enjoy your pick of HYS.

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:31 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:F*ck your counselor. Enjoy your pick of HYS.

Seriously this. Congratulations.

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:40 pm

mpasi wrote:

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:43 pm

Alright the next comment needs to be an actual response. :lol:

Postby 20121109 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:52 pm

LOL....

OP, you're set. I understand that your brother needs to move with you...but does that necessarily mean you have to stay in-state? Because unless you're in California, Massachusetts, or Connecticut, these in-state schools will probably not be up to what your numbers deserve.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Rand M. wrote:
mpasi wrote:

Send us a postcard from HYS.

Edit: assuming that 173 is from an actual LSAT and not your averaged PLSATs or anything.

RudeDudewithAttitude

Postby RudeDudewithAttitude » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Community college will not hurt you at all because you will mention in your PS that you've had a job since you were 14, worked your way through college, etc. etc. These type of experiences + URM = GOLD.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:28 pm

I apologize if I am misjudging the original post, but I wonder if this thread is based on an actual or hypothetical situation. The grammar & the misspelling of Puerto Rican triggers my concern, as does the lack of expressed worry about finances of attending a T-14 law school. I hope my concern is misplaced.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:49 pm

To be fair, Canadian Wolf, the OP's minor grammar issues aren't nearly as offensive as your spelling of "grammar." And, I'm assuming you are an intelligent human being, technical mistakes notwithstanding.

Why is no one actually answering the OP's questions? Why is everyone so HYS obsessed? Yes, this is a TLS board, but most of the schools the OP has said he is considering (Emory, UGA) are still top schools.

The OP has asked...
a) If going to community college will hurt his chances -- Answer: No, it will not, apparently.
b) Should he consider staying in-state with full tuition.- Answer: You are the legal guardian of a child, uprooting your life and the child's life to chase some T-14 dream, might not be the best decision. Getting a full ride, not having to move out-of-state, might be a better option, financially, and emotionally for you and your brother. I'm assuming that because you are his legal guardian, he may have not had the most stable upbringing; do you really want to introduce another level of instability for him? These are things to think about. I have no reason to disbelieve that most who have commented are correct- you have a good chance of getting into the best-of-the-best schools. However, ultimately, it's about your priorities -- what's important to you?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Now you can sleep at night.
OP: Just try lawschoolpredictor.com

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Well, it's no fun if you change it. And I think it's safe to say, that was for the benefit of your sleep, not mine.

Postby 20121109 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:58 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:Why is no one actually answering the OP's questions? Why is everyone so HYS obsessed? Yes, this is a TLS board, but most of the schools the OP has said he is considering (Emory, UGA) are still top schools.

The OP has asked...
a) If going to community college will hurt his chances -- Answer: No, it will not, apparently.
b) Should he consider staying in-state with full tuition.- Answer: You are the legal guardian of a child, uprooting your life and the child's life to chase some T-14 dream, might not be the best decision. Getting a full ride, not having to move out-of-state, might be a better option, financially, and emotionally for you and your brother. I'm assuming that because you are his legal guardian, he may have not had the most stable upbringing; do you really want to introduce another level of instability for him? These are things to think about. I have no reason to disbelieve that most who have commented are correct- you have a good chance of getting into the best-of-the-best schools. However, ultimately, it's about your priorities -- what's important to you?

I don't think I was being HYS obsessed. The fact is that a URM with his numbers has more than a "good chance of getting into the best-of-the-best schools." Its nearly a given. Also, by my saying that he should enjoy his pick of HYS, should imply that his time at community college should not hurt his chances. So, questions were being answered.

Also, yes. Emory, UGA, GSU are top schools. But if his brother is happy moving with him to HYS, I don't see why OP should settle for less. Because let's face it...yeah those three are good, but the holy trinity they are not.

And do not trust lawschoolpredictor.com. It is nearly worthless for URMs.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:59 pm

He can get full tuition at far better schools than the ones he listed.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:01 pm

lawschoolpredictor.com shows "strong consider" for Yale & Harvard, and "admit" for all other law schools.

Postby 20121109 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:02 pm

acrossthelake wrote:He can get full tuition at far better schools than the ones he listed.

Also this.

The Darrow @ Michigan, AnnBryce @ NYU if OP is a first-generation grad student, and possibly a Hamilton @ Columbia.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:03 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I apologize if I am misjudging the original post, but I wonder if this thread is based on an actual or hypothetical situation. The grammar & the misspelling of Puerto Rican triggers my concern, as does the lack of expressed worry about finances of attending a T-14 law school. I hope my concern is misplaced.

The fact that he is Hispanic does not mean that he is poor.

Postby 20121109 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:lawschoolpredictor.com shows "strong consider" for Yale & Harvard, and "admit" for all other law schools.

It also shows a URM with a 160/ 3.69 would be denied at HYSCCN. If you look through the URM 2009-2010 application cycle thread, it would be grossly mistaken.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:06 pm

The fact that he has had to work fulltime since age 14 suggests that finances are a concern, especially since he is guardian of his younger brother & considering merit money from GSU & Georgia with stellar GPA & LSAT numbers. Also, I never addressed his financial status beyond being concerned about paying for a T-14 law school.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:06 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:Why is no one actually answering the OP's questions? Why is everyone so HYS obsessed? Yes, this is a TLS board, but most of the schools the OP has said he is considering (Emory, UGA) are still top schools.

The OP has asked...

I don't think I was being HYS obsessed. The fact is that a URM with his numbers has more than a "good chance of getting into the best-of-the-best schools." Its nearly a given. Also, by my saying that he should enjoy his pick of HYS, should imply that his time at community college should not hurt his chances. So, questions were being answered.

Also, yes. Emory, UGA, GSU are top schools. But if his brother is happy moving with him to HYS, I don't see why OP should settle for less. Because let's face it...yeah those three are good, but the holy trinity they are not.

And do not trust lawschoolpredictor.com. It is nearly worthless for URMs.

^ this.

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:11 pm

I guess I don't understand the point of being indirect, when the OP has asked a direct question...

Yes, the important "if" is the feelings of his brother, who he is responsible for. It seemed to me that the OP gave indication that leaving his state was not the best situation when he mentioned "my brother would have to come with me." It suggests that the brother could present a possible barrier. That's why I was perplexed that no one had mentioned that at all, and was instead cramming HYS down his throat without responding to ALL of the issues he presented.

There's no assumption, from my end, that because he's Puerto Rican he is poor. It's the assumption that if he is a student with a child who he cares for full time, that he might be financially-strained. Not an unfair assumption by any means.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:14 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:

I guess I don't understand the point of being indirect, when the OP has asked a direct question...

Yes, the important "if" is the feelings of his brother, who he is responsible for. It seemed to me that the OP gave indication that leaving his state was not the best situation when he mentioned "my brother would have to come with me." It suggests that the brother could present a possible barrier. That's why I was perplexed that no one had mentioned that at all, and was instead cramming HYS down his throat without responding to ALL of the issues he presented.

There's no assumption, from my end, that because he's Puerto Rican he is poor. It's the assumption that if he is a student with a child who he cares for full time, that he might be financially-strained. Not an unfair assumption by any means.

Quote from the OP: "My hopes are to apply somewhere in the T14, however my counselor is suggesting GSU Law, UGA, or Emory - because it is close to home and I am my younger brothers guardian."

He wants to go somewhere in the T14. His counselor has suggested these in-state schools. No one is "cramming" HYS down his throat, but really without any more information than his OP, that's what we are telling him to shoot for, and likely get. If he wants T14, why not go to the tippity top of the T14 -- schools that he is well qualified to be accepted to.

Postby 20121109 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:16 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:

Implications can be just as helpful as explications :)

And, I concur. Unless, OP returns and answers these questions, everything we say is neither really here nor there.

And, not that I did, but there is never anything wrong with cramming HYS down anyone's throat. Because quite honestly, a lot of people are gagging for it.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:18 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:

Implications can be just as helpful as explications :)

And, I concur. Unless, OP returns and answers these questions, everything we say is neither really here nor there.

And, not that I did, but there is never anything wrong with cramming HYS down anyone's throat. Because quite honestly, a lot of people are gagging for it.

QF metaphoric brilliance

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”