3.0, 165+ URM--where should he apply?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
tomrogers2010

3.0, 165+ URM--where should he apply?

Postby tomrogers2010 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:55 pm

My friend attends a T10 Ivy and is a black male. He has held quite a number of leadership positions and faced quite a number of extenuating circumstances (3 close family deaths from natural causes and multiple illnesses during his freshman year). His personal statement and recommendations will most likely be strong. Where do you think he has a good shot at being admitted (esp w/in the T-14)? Thanks.

Knock

Re: 3.0, 165+ URM--where should he apply?

Postby Knock » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:16 pm

tomrogers2010 wrote:My friend attends a T10 Ivy and is a black male. He has held quite a number of leadership positions and faced quite a number of extenuating circumstances (3 close family deaths from natural causes and multiple illnesses during his freshman year). His personal statement and recommendations will most likely be strong. Where do you think he has a good shot at being admitted (esp w/in the T-14)? Thanks.

The thing about URM's, is their cycles can be very unpredictable. If I was your friend I would apply far and wide. Ask for fee waivers and hopefully you will get a bunch. At the least he should blanket the T14/20, and select schools in the region he would like to practice in within the top 50. While it may be expensive now, any scholarship money you get can be used to leverage scholarship money out of the school your friend wishes to attend. I would say though that your friend has a decent chance at some T14 acceptances, although I can't speak too specifically because i'm not sure.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:42 pm

tomrogers2010 wrote:My friend attends a T10 Ivy and is a black male. He has held quite a number of leadership positions and faced quite a number of extenuating circumstances (3 close family deaths from natural causes and multiple illnesses during his freshman year). His personal statement and recommendations will most likely be strong. Where do you think he has a good shot at being admitted (esp w/in the T-14)? Thanks.

What does that mean? Tell your friend to write an addendum about his situation the affected his performance. He should apply to all T14 schools. He may be throwing away $ by applying to Yale and Berkeley but if he gets fee waivers then it shouldn't matter.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:46 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:

What does that mean? Tell your friend to write an addendum about his situation the affected his performance. He should apply to all T14 schools. He may be throwing away $ by applying to Yale and Berkeley but if he gets fee waivers then it shouldn't matter.

I took it as: I go to an Ivy League school, one which is ranked in the Top 10 undergraduate schools in the country.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:52 pm

Knockglock wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:

I took it as: I go to an Ivy League school, one which is ranked in the Top 10 undergraduate schools in the country.

That's laughable, there isn't a need to preface an Ivy.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:53 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:

He's just trying to be more specific, which is always good if you want to get better quality answers in the "What are my chances" forum. There's a difference between HYP and every other Ivy/every other school in the country, although it isn't necessarily monumental or anything.

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:21 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:

T10 Ivy just means an Ivy in the T10, so probably Penn or Columbia, otherwise the person would have said HYP.

Why do say stupid things that you end up regretting and then editing when someone calls you out on it? Are you bitter you didn't go to an Ivy?

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:32 pm

elmagic wrote:T10 Ivy just means an Ivy in the T10, so probably Penn or Columbia, otherwise the person would have said HYP.

Why do say stupid things that you end up regretting and then editing when someone calls you out on it? Are you bitter you didn't go to an Ivy?

Strange reply. Not sure what you are referring to. TLS has some strange creepers on here now.
Last edited by hiromoto45 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:35 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
elmagic wrote:T10 Ivy just means an Ivy in the T10, so probably Penn or Columbia, otherwise the person would have said HYP.

Strange reply. Why don't you take the stick out of ass. Not sure what you are referring to. TLS has some strange creepers on here now.

Look, I don't want to derail OP's thread any further, you pm'd me about it already so why don't we just keep it there.

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:44 am

Yeah, I don't think 165+ is going to cut it. Can we get an exact number? I'll say that with a 3.0 and a 160 I got into UVA with an ED. So there's hope on that route. As others said though, there's no reason why this fellow shouldn't blanket the T14. I bet he'll at least get inon the lower end like Cornell and GT if he applies early.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”