Older and in Chicago

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

Older and in Chicago

Postby jd- » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:22 pm

Have more clearly defined my goals since registering on what I want...

I would be non traditional student starting when I am 32, and I have no intentions of leaving the Chicago Market...and would rather not even leave Chicago in order to do Law School. I have the two body problem and need my SO to have access to Chicago job market, making her move to say Madison/Urbana/Ann Arbor/South Bend might really suck... I am definitely NOT into the college atmosphere.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are here...

I am doing 2nd BA b/c I was possibly going to get into something else, but now after taking classes Iwant to do Law School. So it is somewhat of a soft, and somewhat to prep me for considering I originally did Information Systems in 2002, which was all business and CS classes. Did English Lit now with minor in Poli Sci plus handful of philosophy classes + foreign language I didn't have to do before. I also have 8 years of work experience.

Here are the schools I'll be applying to...

University of Chicago
University of Michigan
University of Illinois UC
Notre Dame
UW Madison

The top 3 are all long shots...

I am more concerned how lifestyle would be or would it be worth it to go to UM/UIUC/ND/UWM over Loyola/Depaul/Kent. UC/NW would be no brainers for me in my situation.

Thanks for any comments or anybody else in a similar situation.

Re: Older and in Chicago

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:23 pm

Postby Knock » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:35 pm

bk1 wrote:Stats?

Yup, need your numbers. It will definitely be possible to stay in the area, although you might have to go to a slightly less ranked school, but I think you can make it happen.

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:32 pm

I also fall into a similar category. I will be 34 next month as I submit all my applications. I, too, am applying to Northwestern, DePaul, Loyola - Chicago, and Chicago - Kent, as well as SMU ( I currently reside in Dallas, but grew up in Chicago ).

My other "problem" possibly is that I have non-traditional undergraduate and graduate degrees. My undergrad degree is in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition, while my graduate degree is in Exercise Physiology. I'm a divorced father of 3 young children ( ages 8,7 & 2 ) with joint custody so I need to either stay in Dallas ( SMU ) where we all reside or move to Chicago where I have a lot of family.

undergrad gpa - 3.2, previous LSAT 156 ( was going through my divorce where I was representing myself ), waiting on latest LSAT from this month. 10+ years work experience, with several years in management & regional management positions for a large national corporation. Started my own company 2009 that is doing very well.

Personal - but also battled diagnosed severe anxiety ( couldn't go to the grocery store alone or leave my home sometimes ) without medication and now regularly present and/or teach to large groups of people.

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:10 am

I'll be 33 by the time I start law school, also in the Chicago area. Applying to Northwestern, DePaul, Kent and Loyola. Can't leave the City, I've got family and a house that I can't sell. I plan to stay and practice in Chicago and expect to go to Kent on a hopefully substantial scholarship.

I don't have much else to offer, other than a "Hi" to fellow old Chicagoans.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”