Older and in Chicago

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jd-

Older and in Chicago

Postby jd- » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:22 pm

Hello

Have more clearly defined my goals since registering on what I want...

I would be non traditional student starting when I am 32, and I have no intentions of leaving the Chicago Market...and would rather not even leave Chicago in order to do Law School. I have the two body problem and need my SO to have access to Chicago job market, making her move to say Madison/Urbana/Ann Arbor/South Bend might really suck... I am definitely NOT into the college atmosphere.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are here...

I am doing 2nd BA b/c I was possibly going to get into something else, but now after taking classes Iwant to do Law School. So it is somewhat of a soft, and somewhat to prep me for considering I originally did Information Systems in 2002, which was all business and CS classes. Did English Lit now with minor in Poli Sci plus handful of philosophy classes + foreign language I didn't have to do before. I also have 8 years of work experience.

Here are the schools I'll be applying to...

University of Chicago
Northwestern
University of Michigan
University of Illinois UC
Notre Dame
UW Madison
Loyola
Depaul
Kent

The top 3 are all long shots...

I am more concerned how lifestyle would be or would it be worth it to go to UM/UIUC/ND/UWM over Loyola/Depaul/Kent. UC/NW would be no brainers for me in my situation.

Thanks for any comments or anybody else in a similar situation.

bk1

Re: Older and in Chicago

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:23 pm

Stats?

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:35 pm

bk1 wrote:Stats?

Yup, need your numbers. It will definitely be possible to stay in the area, although you might have to go to a slightly less ranked school, but I think you can make it happen.

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:32 pm

I also fall into a similar category. I will be 34 next month as I submit all my applications. I, too, am applying to Northwestern, DePaul, Loyola - Chicago, and Chicago - Kent, as well as SMU ( I currently reside in Dallas, but grew up in Chicago ).

My other "problem" possibly is that I have non-traditional undergraduate and graduate degrees. My undergrad degree is in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition, while my graduate degree is in Exercise Physiology. I'm a divorced father of 3 young children ( ages 8,7 & 2 ) with joint custody so I need to either stay in Dallas ( SMU ) where we all reside or move to Chicago where I have a lot of family.

undergrad gpa - 3.2, previous LSAT 156 ( was going through my divorce where I was representing myself ), waiting on latest LSAT from this month. 10+ years work experience, with several years in management & regional management positions for a large national corporation. Started my own company 2009 that is doing very well.

Personal - but also battled diagnosed severe anxiety ( couldn't go to the grocery store alone or leave my home sometimes ) without medication and now regularly present and/or teach to large groups of people.

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:10 am

I'll be 33 by the time I start law school, also in the Chicago area. Applying to Northwestern, DePaul, Kent and Loyola. Can't leave the City, I've got family and a house that I can't sell. I plan to stay and practice in Chicago and expect to go to Kent on a hopefully substantial scholarship.

I don't have much else to offer, other than a "Hi" to fellow old Chicagoans.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”