Ok to contact BLSA and similar orgs at prospective schools? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rundoxierun

Gold

Ok to contact BLSA and similar orgs at prospective schools?

Post by rundoxierun » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:45 am

Ok, situation.. I took the LSAT last December to apply to schools this upcoming cycle. Because of this, I received a lot of the fee waivers and info from schools last cycle when it was useless and so far Im receiving nothing at all for the upcoming cycle. I know the BLSA and similar orgs at some top schools sends out useful information to prospective minority applicants. Should I go ahead and contact them and give them my LSAC account number to make sure I get the information?? Or is this frowned upon/everything is done automatically?

LawSuccess

New

Re: Ok to contact BLSA and similar orgs at prospective schools?

Post by LawSuccess » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:47 am

tkgrrett wrote:Ok, situation.. I took the LSAT last December to apply to schools this upcoming cycle. Because of this, I received a lot of the fee waivers and info from schools last cycle when it was useless and so far Im receiving nothing at all for the upcoming cycle. I know the BLSA and similar orgs at some top schools sends out useful information to prospective minority applicants. Should I go ahead and contact them and give them my LSAC account number to make sure I get the information?? Or is this frowned upon/everything is done automatically?
I don't think they'd have a problem with you contacting them. Some BLSA chapters have contact information for prospective students to ask questions.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:31 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Ok, situation.. I took the LSAT last December to apply to schools this upcoming cycle. Because of this, I received a lot of the fee waivers and info from schools last cycle when it was useless and so far Im receiving nothing at all for the upcoming cycle. I know the BLSA and similar orgs at some top schools sends out useful information to prospective minority applicants. Should I go ahead and contact them and give them my LSAC account number to make sure I get the information?? Or is this frowned upon/everything is done automatically?
I contacted students before my tuition deposits were in. Go ahead and ask, it won't hurt.
Last edited by billyez on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Two things:

1. It is typically acceptable to reach out to student organizations, especially like you're describing above. Most officers in these organizations are willing to be as helpful as they can be - just keep in mind that they are students (often working/interning/whatever in the summer), so they might not get back to you right away.

2. I honestly think that your best bet to get these fee waivers initiated is to send an email to the Admissions office sometime later in the summer, and politely request that you be able to use the fee waiver for this upcoming application cycle. If they already gave you a fee waiver once, the odds are they want you to apply. They're the people who will decide whether or not to grant you a fee waiver, not a student organization.
Yea I went ahead and contacted the recruitment person for BLSA. Hopefully they will have time to get back to me at some point. The issue isnt the fee waivers, I actually have an LSAC fee waiver so the vast majority of my apps are free.. the issue is the other info like resume and writing samples.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”