Hispanics as URM

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
DorianGray89

Hispanics as URM

Postby DorianGray89 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:37 pm

So what is the deal with it? What schools recruit a lot of hispanics? what is the average LSAT for hispanics? there isnt that much information out there about it.

merichard87

Re: Hispanics as URM

Postby merichard87 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:42 pm

The only advice I can give is conjecture: the schools in area with high latino populations are probably less inclined to give boosts. This would mean that schools in cali and texas probably won't give you as big a boost as say iowa. But check out lawschoolnumbers. There are a nice amount of latino applicants on there.

hax123

Postby hax123 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Here are all of the Hispanic users for the 2009-2010 cycle on LSN: http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=0910

It's clear that -- contrary to the consensus on this forum -- Hispanics who aren't Puerto Rican or Mexican do receive boosts in law school admissions. I'd estimate their boost to be around 3-4 points on the LSAT.

Wustlmike19

Postby Wustlmike19 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:39 am

hax123 wrote:Here are all of the Hispanic users for the 2009-2010 cycle on LSN: http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=0910

It's clear that -- contrary to the consensus on this forum -- Hispanics who aren't Puerto Rican or Mexican do receive boosts in law school admissions. I'd estimate their boost to be around 3-4 points on the LSAT.

hax,

How do you know that those hispanics don't include MAs or PRs? And how'd you do you know those are the only hispanics?

Just curious, because I am a non MA/PR hispanic and would like a better estimate of my odds.

Thanks

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:45 am

Wustlmike19 wrote:hax,

How do you know that those hispanics don't include MAs or PRs? And how'd you do you know those are the only hispanics?

Just curious, because I am a non MA/PR hispanic and would like a better estimate of my odds.

Thanks

If someone is posting on LSN, they probably have a decent grasp of the application process. If they select "Hispanic" but not "URM," they are probably non-PR/M.

hax123

Postby hax123 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:17 am

bk1 wrote:
Wustlmike19 wrote:hax,

Thanks

If someone is posting on LSN, they probably have a decent grasp of the application process. If they select "Hispanic" but not "URM," they are probably non-PR/M.

That's correct. Additionally, most Hispanic law school applicants are non-PR/MX, so at the very minimum, at least 50% of the Hispanic applicants on LSN are non MX/PR.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”