3.77 GPA/164 LSAT URM Mexican Male. Chances?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
abarrios
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:47 pm

3.77 GPA/164 LSAT URM Mexican Male. Chances?

Postby abarrios » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:15 pm

I know there is a "What are my chances?" forum, but I thought I might post this here as well in order to get some feedback from people that might have some experience or be in the same situation as myself.

Only downside to my application is my criminal record. Two arrests for a class B theft misdemeanor and a class C theft misdemeanor. Also a ticket for a minor in possession of alcohol and a public intoxication. However, I completed probation successfully for everything and I have not been in trouble with the law in over two years.

So, what are my chances looking like? Should I apply to any t-14 schools? What is the best school that I have a chance of getting into?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or information will be greatly appreciated.

rjr575
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: 3.77 GPA/164 LSAT URM Mexican Male. Chances?

Postby rjr575 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:39 pm

Your stats are great. However, with your criminal record I would say your application is up in the air. You are definitely going to need to write a stellar personal statement and addendum explaining your past and how you have matured and grown from it. Apply to all the T14, cause normally with your GPA and LSAT being a Mexican-American (URM), that is where you would end up.

Bests

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: 3.77 GPA/164 LSAT URM Mexican Male. Chances?

Postby Luis Gomez » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:09 am

Not trying to be pessimistic but you should probably apply to the top 25 and to some safeties on the bottom T1.

Make sure you include Florida or FSU, Wake Forest, Illinois, WUSTL, IUB, MInnesota, UCLA, Vandy and the bottom of the T14.

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: 3.77 GPA/164 LSAT URM Mexican Male. Chances?

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:20 am

abarrios wrote:I know there is a "What are my chances?" forum, but I thought I might post this here as well in order to get some feedback from people that might have some experience or be in the same situation as myself.

Only downside to my application is my criminal record. Two arrests for a class B theft misdemeanor and a class C theft misdemeanor. Also a ticket for a minor in possession of alcohol and a public intoxication. However, I completed probation successfully for everything and I have not been in trouble with the law in over two years.

So, what are my chances looking like? Should I apply to any t-14 schools? What is the best school that I have a chance of getting into?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or information will be greatly appreciated.


After the arrests, did they press charges? Were you a legal adult or of legal age at the time of the arrests?

Admit only what you have to admit. Apply within your reach, a few dreams, and of course, a few safeties. Don't waste money on applications, however.

NM. I just read that you claim to have completed probation for everything.

Don't milk your URM status too much, it can backfire. It's obvious you are a URM on your application, so avoid writing a diversity statement.

User avatar
abarrios
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: 3.77 GPA/164 LSAT URM Mexican Male. Chances?

Postby abarrios » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:57 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:
abarrios wrote:I know there is a "What are my chances?" forum, but I thought I might post this here as well in order to get some feedback from people that might have some experience or be in the same situation as myself.

Only downside to my application is my criminal record. Two arrests for a class B theft misdemeanor and a class C theft misdemeanor. Also a ticket for a minor in possession of alcohol and a public intoxication. However, I completed probation successfully for everything and I have not been in trouble with the law in over two years.

So, what are my chances looking like? Should I apply to any t-14 schools? What is the best school that I have a chance of getting into?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or information will be greatly appreciated.


After the arrests, did they press charges? Were you a legal adult or of legal age at the time of the arrests?

Admit only what you have to admit. Apply within your reach, a few dreams, and of course, a few safeties. Don't waste money on applications, however.

NM. I just read that you claim to have completed probation for everything.

Don't milk your URM status too much, it can backfire. It's obvious you are a URM on your application, so avoid writing a diversity statement.


Haha are you saying it's obvious because of all of the trouble with the law? And should I really not write a DS? I've heard that would be pretty dumb to not write one.

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: 3.77 GPA/164 LSAT URM Mexican Male. Chances?

Postby Luis Gomez » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:21 am

abarrios wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
abarrios wrote:I know there is a "What are my chances?" forum, but I thought I might post this here as well in order to get some feedback from people that might have some experience or be in the same situation as myself.

Only downside to my application is my criminal record. Two arrests for a class B theft misdemeanor and a class C theft misdemeanor. Also a ticket for a minor in possession of alcohol and a public intoxication. However, I completed probation successfully for everything and I have not been in trouble with the law in over two years.

So, what are my chances looking like? Should I apply to any t-14 schools? What is the best school that I have a chance of getting into?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or information will be greatly appreciated.


After the arrests, did they press charges? Were you a legal adult or of legal age at the time of the arrests?

Admit only what you have to admit. Apply within your reach, a few dreams, and of course, a few safeties. Don't waste money on applications, however.

NM. I just read that you claim to have completed probation for everything.

Don't milk your URM status too much, it can backfire. It's obvious you are a URM on your application, so avoid writing a diversity statement.


Haha are you saying it's obvious because of all of the trouble with the law? And should I really not write a DS? I've heard that would be pretty dumb to not write one.


I got over 50 application fee waivers last year, just ask for them. You shouldn´t have to waste money on them.

Definitely write a diversity statement if you think it can help you. At least it is a chance to boost you app with an extra essay. Make sure it is interesting and well written. The worst think that can happen is for the Adcom to ignore it.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 3.77 GPA/164 LSAT URM Mexican Male. Chances?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:46 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:It's obvious you are a URM on your application, so avoid writing a diversity statement.

This is the worst advice ever. Completely ignore this. A DS should be well-written, and a poorly-written one can hurt you, but you should focus on writing a good one instead of not writing one at all.

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: 3.77 GPA/164 LSAT URM Mexican Male. Chances?

Postby Luis Gomez » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:38 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:It's obvious you are a URM on your application, so avoid writing a diversity statement.

This is the worst advice ever. Completely ignore this. A DS should be well-written, and a poorly-written one can hurt you, but you should focus on writing a good one instead of not writing one at all.


Plus it might distract the addcomm from your other optional statement you will surely turn in.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests