What do I need to do to get in NYU or Chicago?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
lawschoollll

Re: What do I need to do to get in NYU or Chicago?

Postby lawschoollll » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:44 pm

JWicker10 wrote:
sumus romani wrote:The advice to pick some middle schools is very good.

You have schools that are out of your reach, at least given your current scores, and you have some schools that are not worth the tuition money. An AA male will get +10 on the LSAT and no real bonus on the gpa (since it is possible that teachers already use affirmative action in individual classes). URM cycles are hard to predict, but work with your actual gpa and your LSAT+10. Look to medians at schools and set up your list from there. Also, some of those safeties do not have remotely good job prospects, so you want to think long and hard about value.

I would consider a free 10 points on the LSAT a magic free pass, ya. You did say that.

You are dispensing offensively poor advice. Please stop. At the very least, OP, do not listen to him.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:07 am

160/3.0 URM here who got into UVA ED. I had an undergrad GPA of 3.6 that may have affectred how they looked at the LSAC GPA though, and it should be noted that not every application is just numbers, so my experience can't be used to parallel yours entirely.

I want to note that I had the same LSAT score as you - 157 - before I took it for a fourth time and got a 160. Before I got that 160, I was rejected with my ED to Georgetown...so, I'm guessing that my Dad was right when he said he thoguht 160 was a magic number. With a 165, I think you could make it to your reaches here.

P.S. Just don't expect any cash from these schools.

c0rpusdelicti

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:00 am

AA male here. GPA 3.17, LSAT 172. Got into NYU and Chicago with my stats, and was a finalist for a fairly prestigious scholarship at NYU.

Get a better LSAT. Like, way better. Write very well. You'll be fine.

Edit: Also, I'm gay which may have helped.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:33 am

8)
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:43 am

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
c0rpusdelicti wrote:AA male here. GPA 3.17, LSAT 172. Got into NYU and Chicago with my stats, and was a finalist for a fairly prestigious scholarship at NYU.

Get a better LSAT. Like, way better. Write very well. You'll be fine.

Edit: Also, I'm gay which may have helped.

The OP has a 157. Comparing your cycle to his isn't really fair. While you have similar GPAs, the lsat carries more weight.

Hence why he said "Get a better LSAT". But this cycle does prove that the OP's GPA is not "impossibly low", as one poster said earlier in the thread.

OP - Looks like a 165+ would be necessary for each of these schools, and I think a 170 would make you close to a lock. URM cycles are notoriously hard to figure out, and be wary of a lot of the information on this thread, much of which doesn't seem accurate/relevant.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:54 am

I'm still bitter for getting the CCN WL trifecta.

Don't bring this shit up.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:55 am

c0rpusdelicti wrote:AA male here. GPA 3.17, LSAT 172. Got into NYU and Chicago with my stats, and was a finalist for a fairly prestigious scholarship at NYU.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:10 am

:lol:
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:16 am

JWicker, you are so far off your rocker it is not even funny. AAs don't get much of URM boost? O RLY????

And despite all of the optimism in here, OP needs to increase his LSAT by at least 7-10 points to have a realistic shot at CCN with that GPA. I don't know how people think a 160-165 gives him much of a shot at all.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:19 am

Last edited by JG Hall on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:22 am

JG Hall wrote:
romothesavior wrote:And despite all of the optimism in here, OP needs to increase his LSAT by at least 7-10 points to have a realistic shot at CCN with that GPA. I don't know how people think a 160-165 gives him much of a shot at all.

meeting people with sub-3.4 gpas and 159-163 lsat scores at CCN.

You have done this? What are you trying to say?

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:27 am

Last edited by JG Hall on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r2b2ct

Postby r2b2ct » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:30 am

sumus romani wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
sumus romani wrote:The advice to pick some middle schools is very good.

You have schools that are out of your reach, at least given your current scores, and you have some schools that are not worth the tuition money. An AA male will get +10 on the LSAT and no real bonus on the gpa (since it is possible that teachers already use affirmative action in individual classes). URM cycles are hard to predict, but work with your actual gpa and your LSAT+10. Look to medians at schools and set up your list from there. Also, some of those safeties do not have remotely good job prospects, so you want to think long and hard about value.

Can you explain this? I don't know how a professor would use AA in classes. That would be a violation of their academic integrity. :roll:

It is regularly used for undergrad, but I don't have a clear idea of the percentage of teachers who do it. I'm not going to go into it.

It's good you're not going into it considering you're wrong.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:37 am

JG Hall wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
JG Hall wrote:
romothesavior wrote:And despite all of the optimism in here, OP needs to increase his LSAT by at least 7-10 points to have a realistic shot at CCN with that GPA. I don't know how people think a 160-165 gives him much of a shot at all.

meeting people with sub-3.4 gpas and 159-163 lsat scores at CCN.

You have done this? What are you trying to say?

God no, I didn't do this. But I've met them.

I am saying that meeting people with sub-3.4 gpas and 159-163 lsat scores at CCN makes me think that a 160-165 gives him a shot at CN.

I didn't say it was impossible, and I'm sure there are some who have done it. I just think it is unlikely that he gets CCN without a 165 or higher.. Perhaps worth the app if he can get a 160+, but I think he needs 165+ to really be competitive.

IAMGenius

Postby IAMGenius » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks to everyone for there advice. I like the honest truth even if it means studying my ass off all over again to get a 165+. It is definetly possible if I can get rid of the nerves. The June LSAT was my first try and my nerves literally froze me on the first section. I had LR,LG,LR,RC,LR. I missed 14 on the first LR section, which I usually miss 2-4!! Couldn't finish the second section. I missed 1 on the first game then had to guess on the last game and missed them all. Missed my normal amount on RC, worst section for me during PTing. Then only missed 3. Yes 3 on the last LR!!! I chunked this up to nerves. Since after the break everything went as normal with my last 2 sections. What do you guys think? Sound like nerves?

billyez

Postby billyez » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:03 pm

That's really a question that only you can answer with certainty. One thing I did when I underperformed was review the Test and figure out why exactly I did so...was there something incredibly tricky about the questions you missed on that LR section? If not, then you might be able to attribute it to nerves. Were those questions typically of the sort that you have difficulty with and so on and so forth...

Either way, the best way to get through nerves is just by taking as many PT's as possible before the real thing. Obviously, you have a good grasp of some of the material, you just need to tighten it up a bit. The September LSAT is perfectly tailored to remedy situations like this.

P.S. When it comes time to start applying after your retake, apply broadly and whatever school you wish to attend and don't let the LSP dissuade you in any shape of form...I'd even advocate not allowing it to influence your application cycle at all.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:19 pm

billyez wrote:160/3.0 URM here who got into UVA ED.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”