Issue with URM's

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:32 pm

[
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby merichard87 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Do you really think the AA community is less aware of the importance of early submission tha, the application community as a whole? Do you have any kind of statistical data to back it up?


I'm thinking that this is a response to my post but if not please ignore this post:

No I don't have any statistical data to back this up. Its simply an observation from my own experiences. My school doesn't even have a prelaw program so myself and a few other students started a prelaw org on campus. In a room of 40 students only about 5-10 knew when the application season started and none of the others had even considered the ramifications of applying early or late.

In general there is simply a lack of education about higher education in URM communities. This is one of a few factors that add to the low entrance rates for URMs in graduate schools. But as I said earlier, I definitely don't think a lack of respect for the process is the reason for late applications.

wg7289
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:54 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby wg7289 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:38 pm

"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Where does this fit in with URMs getting special consideration in the application process?

Notwithstanding the fact that many URMs are born into a socio-economic environment which puts them at a disadvantage, race shouldn't play a role in determining who does and does not get into schools.

My best friend growing up falls into the URM category. He lived in a town with a great school system and had every advantage in the world. But he would have an advantage over non-minority students in applying to schools? What happens to a non-minority applicant who was born into a life with the same challenges as many URMs face? I know admissions officers invite all applicants to discuss adversity they have overcome, but an explanation or an anecdote will not weigh as heavily as URM status. Look at lawschoolnumbers.com, the green plots on the bottom-left of the trendline of accepted students are invariably URMs.

Unless you are going to argue that Clarence Thomas is a "black white supremacist (Chappelle fans)," you have to accept that this position can be argued by someone who is not a racist. See the supreme court case Grutter v. Bollinger As I said, my closest childhood friend was a URM, I am sincerely interested in peoples opinions.

User avatar
yinz
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby yinz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:40 pm

wg7289 wrote:"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Where does this fit in with URMs getting special consideration in the application process?

Notwithstanding the fact that many URMs are born into a socio-economic environment which puts them at a disadvantage, race shouldn't play a role in determining who does and does not get into schools.

My best friend growing up falls into the URM category. He lived in a town with a great school system and had every advantage in the world. But he would have an advantage over non-minority students in applying to schools? What happens to a non-minority applicant who was born into a life with the same challenges as many URMs face? I know admissions officers invite all applicants to discuss adversity they have overcome, but an explanation or an anecdote will not weigh as heavily as URM status. Look at lawschoolnumbers.com, the green plots on the bottom-left of the trendline of accepted students are invariably URMs.

Unless you are going to argue that Clarence Thomas is a "black white supremacist (Chappelle fans)," you have to accept that this position can be argued by someone who is not a racist. See the supreme court case Grutter v. Bollinger As I said, my closest childhood friend was a URM, I am sincerely interested in peoples opinions.


Flamage?

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby 20121109 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:Actually, the reason might also be because URMs don't get as much of a boost from applying early as regular applicants do.

Most schools compare URM applicants to each other and thus don't make decisions on the majority of their URM applicants until they can look at most of the pool. For example, HLS admissions didnt come out with a lot of URM results until well past the time they started notifying most early applicants.


That's because the majority of URMs have numbers below a school's median. URMs usually have to wait a long time to hear a final decision from HLS (and most other schools) because the schools have to solidify their LSAT/GPA medians before they are able to "absorb" the <25%ile numbers. The same would likely happen to non-URMs who also have <25%ile numbers, but have other qualities that make them otherwise competitive. If a URM had median numbers, they are likely to have a quick decision that's probably an acceptance.
Last edited by 20121109 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:41 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby 20121109 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:43 pm

wg7289 wrote:"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Where does this fit in with URMs getting special consideration in the application process?

Notwithstanding the fact that many URMs are born into a socio-economic environment which puts them at a disadvantage, race shouldn't play a role in determining who does and does not get into schools.

My best friend growing up falls into the URM category. He lived in a town with a great school system and had every advantage in the world. But he would have an advantage over non-minority students in applying to schools? What happens to a non-minority applicant who was born into a life with the same challenges as many URMs face? I know admissions officers invite all applicants to discuss adversity they have overcome, but an explanation or an anecdote will not weigh as heavily as URM status. Look at lawschoolnumbers.com, the green plots on the bottom-left of the trendline of accepted students are invariably URMs.

Unless you are going to argue that Clarence Thomas is a "black white supremacist (Chappelle fans)," you have to accept that this position can be argued by someone who is not a racist. See the supreme court case Grutter v. Bollinger As I said, my closest childhood friend was a URM, I am sincerely interested in peoples opinions.


THERE ARE NO AA DEBATES IN THE URM FORUM. If you want to debate, start a new thread in the law school admissions forum. HTH

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:47 pm

wg7289 wrote:"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Where does this fit in with URMs getting special consideration in the application process?

Notwithstanding the fact that many URMs are born into a socio-economic environment which puts them at a disadvantage, race shouldn't play a role in determining who does and does not get into schools.

My best friend growing up falls into the URM category. He lived in a town with a great school system and had every advantage in the world. But he would have an advantage over non-minority students in applying to schools? What happens to a non-minority applicant who was born into a life with the same challenges as many URMs face? I know admissions officers invite all applicants to discuss adversity they have overcome, but an explanation or an anecdote will not weigh as heavily as URM status. Look at lawschoolnumbers.com, the green plots on the bottom-left of the trendline of accepted students are invariably URMs.

Unless you are going to argue that Clarence Thomas is a "black white supremacist (Chappelle fans)," you have to accept that this position can be argued by someone who is not a racist. See the supreme court case Grutter v. Bollinger As I said, my closest childhood friend was a URM, I am sincerely interested in peoples opinions.


Fallacy in your argument. :roll: I knew this thread would bring nothing but fail. Funny that people use alts to post this kind of junk.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby merichard87 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:57 pm

Socio-economic disadvantages are not the same as fighting racial prejudices that have plauged this country since its founding.

User avatar
yinz
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby yinz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:59 pm

merichard87 wrote:Socio-economic disadvantages are not the same as fighting racial prejudices that have plauged this country since its founding.


Let's not go down this road, por favore.

User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:00 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
wg7289 wrote:"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Where does this fit in with URMs getting special consideration in the application process?

Notwithstanding the fact that many URMs are born into a socio-economic environment which puts them at a disadvantage, race shouldn't play a role in determining who does and does not get into schools.

My best friend growing up falls into the URM category. He lived in a town with a great school system and had every advantage in the world. But he would have an advantage over non-minority students in applying to schools? What happens to a non-minority applicant who was born into a life with the same challenges as many URMs face? I know admissions officers invite all applicants to discuss adversity they have overcome, but an explanation or an anecdote will not weigh as heavily as URM status. Look at lawschoolnumbers.com, the green plots on the bottom-left of the trendline of accepted students are invariably URMs.

Unless you are going to argue that Clarence Thomas is a "black white supremacist (Chappelle fans)," you have to accept that this position can be argued by someone who is not a racist. See the supreme court case Grutter v. Bollinger As I said, my closest childhood friend was a URM, I am sincerely interested in peoples opinions.


Fallacy in your argument. :roll: I knew this thread would bring nothing but fail. Funny that people use alts to post this kind of junk.


hiromoto45,
your on it today :wink:

wg7289,
are you saying concessions are made for URMs based off of an applicants socio-economic environment?

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby kazu » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:06 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:THERE ARE NO AA DEBATES IN THE URM FORUM. If you want to debate, start a new thread in the law school admissions forum. HTH


Is there evidence that a larger percentage of URM's apply late in the cycle, compared to everyone else? I'm not sure how few(er) URMs taking the LSAT where you did correlates to the above.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:07 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
wg7289 wrote:thread vomit


THERE ARE NO AA DEBATES IN THE URM FORUM. If you want to debate, start a new thread in the law school admissions forum. HTH

Or better yet, please don't. A quick search will reveal this topic has been discussed Ad nauseam. If you're feeling oppressed call your congressman and vent.

User avatar
phoenix323
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby phoenix323 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:08 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:The pursuit of post-undergraduate study is an over-stated problem among African Americans and Latinos.


What is this supposed to mean?

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby 20121109 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:10 pm

kazu wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:THERE ARE NO AA DEBATES IN THE URM FORUM. If you want to debate, start a new thread in the law school admissions forum. HTH


Is there evidence that a larger percentage of URM's apply late in the cycle, compared to everyone else? I'm not sure how few(er) URMs taking the LSAT where you did correlates to the above.


Not quite sure why you quoted me....

Also, Uncle Matlock is correct. This discussion is hardly original.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:10 pm

merichard87 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Do you really think the AA community is less aware of the importance of early submission tha, the application community as a whole? Do you have any kind of statistical data to back it up?


I'm thinking that this is a response to my post but if not please ignore this post:

No I don't have any statistical data to back this up. Its simply an observation from my own experiences. My school doesn't even have a prelaw program so myself and a few other students started a prelaw org on campus. In a room of 40 students only about 5-10 knew when the application season started and none of the others had even considered the ramifications of applying early or late.

In general there is simply a lack of education about higher education in URM communities. This is one of a few factors that add to the low entrance rates for URMs in graduate schools. But as I said earlier, I definitely don't think a lack of respect for the process is the reason for late applications.

The question was to the OP, but that certainly sounds like a credited response.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby trialjunky » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:44 am

wg7289 wrote:"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Where does this fit in with URMs getting special consideration in the application process?

Notwithstanding the fact that many URMs are born into a socio-economic environment which puts them at a disadvantage, race shouldn't play a role in determining who does and does not get into schools.

My best friend growing up falls into the URM category. He lived in a town with a great school system and had every advantage in the world. ...blah, blah,blah,blah..... As I said, my closest childhood friend was a URM, I am sincerely interested in peoples opinions.


Okkkaaaaaay, I know were overlookigng this ^^^^ because who wants to have this argument again but I have to point out the bolded for fucking funny.

QFI'm not a racist, my best friend is black lulz moment. Though I disagree with your argument, I dont actually have enough information, thankfully, to really consider you a racist.

User avatar
cinefile 17
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby cinefile 17 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:52 am

wg7289 wrote:As I said, my closest childhood friend was a URM


:lol: :roll:

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby merichard87 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:03 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got the " ... but some some of my best friends are black ... " vibe from his post.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest