Issue with URM's Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
iamcutdacheck

New

Issue with URM's

Post by iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:36 pm

It's low-key depressing to see the lack of URM's (specifically African-Americans) applying to law school in a timely manner. This statement may be controversial because it provides ammunition to both sides of the URM debate,however the lack of respect for the application process is discouraging.

merichard87

Silver

Re: Issue with URM's

Post by merichard87 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:43 pm

Am I to understand that you're upset because URMs are applying in let's say January instead of October?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:45 pm

iamcutdacheck

New

Post by iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:03 pm

merichard87 wrote:Am I to understand that you're upset because URMs are applying in let's say January instead of October?
That is primarily the reason. URM's know that we get 'consideration' (which is warranted) in the application process. Nevertheless that is not an excuse for applying in late to mid January after taking the December LSAT. When I took the LSAT at USC I was amazed to see only 5 African American taking the test, and 3/5's of us are in the same fraternity (Alpha). It's 2010, and while we are not in a post-racial society, there are plenty of resources available to make yourself the best law school candidate if you respect the application process.

Sidenote: where did you get your avi from?

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:13 pm

Not surprised. We can't divorce ourselves from CPT. And if you're an African immigrant, CPT + 3hrs.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:14 pm

Actually I don't think it has to do with URMs taking advantage of the system because we get a boost. Many people are just ignorant to the process and assume you can only submit your app after you get your LSAT score. Also, I didn't even know there was a such thing as a URM boost until I found this site so I doubt the majority of URMs realize it exists as much as it does.

I agree that some changes need to be made within the URM communities (especially my own - AA) but I disagree that application timing is the problem.

P.S. I think I found this pic on facebook but I honestly don't remember.

Edited for spelling.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:43 pm

:roll:
Last edited by hiromoto45 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:55 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:
merichard87 wrote:Am I to understand that you're upset because URMs are applying in let's say January instead of October?
That is primarily the reason. URM's know that we get 'consideration' (which is warranted) in the application process. Nevertheless that is not an excuse for applying in late to mid January after taking the December LSAT. When I took the LSAT at USC I was amazed to see only 5 African American taking the test, and 3/5's of us are in the same fraternity (Alpha). It's 2010, and while we are not in a post-racial society, there are plenty of resources available to make yourself the best law school candidate if you respect the application process.

I don't think it has to do with URM's trying to coast on URM status.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:56 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:URM's URMs
Sorry.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:00 pm

I'm glad only a few of us Black men are in most law schools.

More prestige for me. 8)

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:11 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:

Wait....

wait....

rewind.

Are you saying that because there were only a few african americans taking the test, african americans do not respect the process? Did you not read the Columbia study that said that there are few african americans (and native americans) in law school now (both in exact number and by percentage) than there were in 1992?

No one is disrespecting the process. No one goes to law school (from those two groups).

Everyone knows why.

(I didn't read any posts past this one in the thread, so I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed).

Now if you were saying that african americans in general do not apply early (which if you did, I would like to read to link to the article because I don't think that it exists), then 5 african americans taking the december exam means nothing. It's not a representative sample. However if you were going to compare URMs to ORMs at that particular testing center, I'm sure that there were a lot more ORMs (even if you took it at an HBCU). So your point would seem relatively weak.

Am I missing something here?

iamcutdacheck

New

Post by iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:15 pm

kk19131 wrote:I'm glad only a few of us Black men are in most law schools.

More prestige for me. 8)

From a competitive standpoint, we are >><<

As a black man however, you sound like a young Clarence Thomas

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:15 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I'm glad only a few of us Black men are in most law schools.

More prestige for me. 8)

From a competitive standpoint, we are >><<

As a black man however, you sound like a young Clarence Thomas
I don't think even you know what that's supposed to mean.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:19 pm

Do you really think the AA community is less aware of the importance of early submission tha, the application community as a whole? Do you have any kind of statistical data to back it up?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:20 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Not surprised. We can't divorce ourselves from CPT. And if you're an African immigrant, CPT + 3hrs.
LOL

iamcutdacheck

New

Post by iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:22 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Not surprised. We can't divorce ourselves from CPT. And if you're an African immigrant, CPT + 3hrs.
:lol:

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:30 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:It's low-key depressing to see the lack of URM's (specifically African-Americans) applying to law school in a timely manner. This statement may be controversial because it provides ammunition to both sides of the URM debate,however the lack of respect for the application process is discouraging.
Why do you assume that late apps = lack of respect for the process?

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:31 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
iamcutdacheck wrote:It's low-key depressing to see the lack of URM's (specifically African-Americans) applying to law school in a timely manner. This statement may be controversial because it provides ammunition to both sides of the URM debate,however the lack of respect for the application process is discouraging.
The same reason he has a 2.8 GPA.

NervousInKC

Bronze

Post by NervousInKC » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:32 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying correctly, but if I do, here is my opinion:

Just because someone applies late, doesn't mean they are doing so because they think their URM status will override the late app. Tons of people in all races apply "late." I don't know what you mean by "disrespecting the process." If the applications are still open, then they are still open. Furthermore, why do you care? If you applied early, good for you. Let those other people worry about the fate of their late application.

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I just don't see how you could have an "issue" with URM's over this.

iamcutdacheck

New

Post by iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:44 pm

kk19131 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
The same reason he has a 2.8 GPA.
:lol: low blow

iamcutdacheck

New

Post by iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:52 pm

NervousInKC wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you are saying correctly, but if I do, here is my opinion:

Just because someone applies late, doesn't mean they are doing so because they think their URM status will override the late app. Tons of people in all races apply "late." I don't know what you mean by "disrespecting the process." If the applications are still open, then they are still open. Furthermore, why do you care? If you applied early, good for you. Let those other people worry about the fate of their late application.

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I just don't see how you could have an "issue" with URM's over this.
Good Point,

The only reason why I care is because looking at the number of African Americans in law school and the number of African Americans I saw taking the LSAT was disturbing. The pursuit of post-undergraduate study is an over-stated problem among African Americans and Latinos.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:53 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:
NervousInKC wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you are saying correctly, but if I do, here is my opinion:

Good Point,

The only reason why I care is because looking at the number of African Americans in law school and the number of African Americans I saw taking the LSAT was disturbing. The pursuit of post-undergraduate study is an over-stated problem among African Americans and Latinos.

You have a very poor way of presenting this assertion. :roll:

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:56 pm

Actually, the reason might also be because URMs don't get as much of a boost from applying early as regular applicants do.

Most schools compare URM applicants to each other and thus don't make decisions on the majority of their URM applicants until they can look at most of the pool. For example, HLS admissions didnt come out with a lot of URM results until well past the time they started notifying most early applicants.

iamcutdacheck

New

Post by iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:Actually, the reason might also be because URMs don't get as much of a boost from applying early as regular applicants do.

Most schools compare URM applicants to each other and thus don't make decisions on the majority of their URM applicants until they can look at most of the pool. For example, HLS admissions didnt come out with a lot of URM results until well past the time they started notifying most early applicants.
Really?!?

That's news to me, that makes some sense

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:01 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:That's news to me, that makes some sense
I'm sure HLS will be glad to know they have your blessing over their admission process ;)

Also, can you change your tar; I feel like I'm in a kaleidoscope.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”