Issue with URM's

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Issue with URM's

Postby iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:36 pm

It's low-key depressing to see the lack of URM's (specifically African-Americans) applying to law school in a timely manner. This statement may be controversial because it provides ammunition to both sides of the URM debate,however the lack of respect for the application process is discouraging.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby merichard87 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:43 pm

Am I to understand that you're upset because URMs are applying in let's say January instead of October?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:45 pm

Image

User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:03 pm

merichard87 wrote:Am I to understand that you're upset because URMs are applying in let's say January instead of October?


That is primarily the reason. URM's know that we get 'consideration' (which is warranted) in the application process. Nevertheless that is not an excuse for applying in late to mid January after taking the December LSAT. When I took the LSAT at USC I was amazed to see only 5 African American taking the test, and 3/5's of us are in the same fraternity (Alpha). It's 2010, and while we are not in a post-racial society, there are plenty of resources available to make yourself the best law school candidate if you respect the application process.

Sidenote: where did you get your avi from?

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby 20121109 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:13 pm

Not surprised. We can't divorce ourselves from CPT. And if you're an African immigrant, CPT + 3hrs.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby merichard87 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:14 pm

Actually I don't think it has to do with URMs taking advantage of the system because we get a boost. Many people are just ignorant to the process and assume you can only submit your app after you get your LSAT score. Also, I didn't even know there was a such thing as a URM boost until I found this site so I doubt the majority of URMs realize it exists as much as it does.

I agree that some changes need to be made within the URM communities (especially my own - AA) but I disagree that application timing is the problem.


P.S. I think I found this pic on facebook but I honestly don't remember.


Edited for spelling.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:43 pm

:roll:
Last edited by hiromoto45 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:55 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:
merichard87 wrote:Am I to understand that you're upset because URMs are applying in let's say January instead of October?


That is primarily the reason. URM's know that we get 'consideration' (which is warranted) in the application process. Nevertheless that is not an excuse for applying in late to mid January after taking the December LSAT. When I took the LSAT at USC I was amazed to see only 5 African American taking the test, and 3/5's of us are in the same fraternity (Alpha). It's 2010, and while we are not in a post-racial society, there are plenty of resources available to make yourself the best law school candidate if you respect the application process.

Sidenote: where did you get your avi from?


I don't think it has to do with URM's trying to coast on URM status.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby cubswin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:56 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:URM's URMs


Sorry.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby kk19131 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:00 pm

I'm glad only a few of us Black men are in most law schools.

More prestige for me. 8)

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:11 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:
merichard87 wrote:Am I to understand that you're upset because URMs are applying in let's say January instead of October?


That is primarily the reason. URM's know that we get 'consideration' (which is warranted) in the application process. Nevertheless that is not an excuse for applying in late to mid January after taking the December LSAT. When I took the LSAT at USC I was amazed to see only 5 African American taking the test, and 3/5's of us are in the same fraternity (Alpha). It's 2010, and while we are not in a post-racial society, there are plenty of resources available to make yourself the best law school candidate if you respect the application process.

Sidenote: where did you get your avi from?


Wait....

wait....

rewind.

Are you saying that because there were only a few african americans taking the test, african americans do not respect the process? Did you not read the Columbia study that said that there are few african americans (and native americans) in law school now (both in exact number and by percentage) than there were in 1992?

No one is disrespecting the process. No one goes to law school (from those two groups).

Everyone knows why.

(I didn't read any posts past this one in the thread, so I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed).

Now if you were saying that african americans in general do not apply early (which if you did, I would like to read to link to the article because I don't think that it exists), then 5 african americans taking the december exam means nothing. It's not a representative sample. However if you were going to compare URMs to ORMs at that particular testing center, I'm sure that there were a lot more ORMs (even if you took it at an HBCU). So your point would seem relatively weak.

Am I missing something here?

User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:15 pm

kk19131 wrote:I'm glad only a few of us Black men are in most law schools.

More prestige for me. 8)



From a competitive standpoint, we are >><<

As a black man however, you sound like a young Clarence Thomas

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby kk19131 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:15 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I'm glad only a few of us Black men are in most law schools.

More prestige for me. 8)



From a competitive standpoint, we are >><<

As a black man however, you sound like a young Clarence Thomas


I don't think even you know what that's supposed to mean.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:19 pm

Do you really think the AA community is less aware of the importance of early submission tha, the application community as a whole? Do you have any kind of statistical data to back it up?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:20 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Not surprised. We can't divorce ourselves from CPT. And if you're an African immigrant, CPT + 3hrs.


LOL

User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:22 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Not surprised. We can't divorce ourselves from CPT. And if you're an African immigrant, CPT + 3hrs.


:lol:

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:30 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:It's low-key depressing to see the lack of URM's (specifically African-Americans) applying to law school in a timely manner. This statement may be controversial because it provides ammunition to both sides of the URM debate,however the lack of respect for the application process is discouraging.

Why do you assume that late apps = lack of respect for the process?

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby kk19131 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:31 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
iamcutdacheck wrote:It's low-key depressing to see the lack of URM's (specifically African-Americans) applying to law school in a timely manner. This statement may be controversial because it provides ammunition to both sides of the URM debate,however the lack of respect for the application process is discouraging.

Why do you assume that late apps = lack of respect for the process?


The same reason he has a 2.8 GPA.

User avatar
NervousInKC
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby NervousInKC » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:32 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying correctly, but if I do, here is my opinion:

Just because someone applies late, doesn't mean they are doing so because they think their URM status will override the late app. Tons of people in all races apply "late." I don't know what you mean by "disrespecting the process." If the applications are still open, then they are still open. Furthermore, why do you care? If you applied early, good for you. Let those other people worry about the fate of their late application.

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I just don't see how you could have an "issue" with URM's over this.

User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:44 pm

kk19131 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
iamcutdacheck wrote:It's low-key depressing to see the lack of URM's (specifically African-Americans) applying to law school in a timely manner. This statement may be controversial because it provides ammunition to both sides of the URM debate,however the lack of respect for the application process is discouraging.

Why do you assume that late apps = lack of respect for the process?


The same reason he has a 2.8 GPA.


:lol: low blow

User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:52 pm

NervousInKC wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you are saying correctly, but if I do, here is my opinion:

Just because someone applies late, doesn't mean they are doing so because they think their URM status will override the late app. Tons of people in all races apply "late." I don't know what you mean by "disrespecting the process." If the applications are still open, then they are still open. Furthermore, why do you care? If you applied early, good for you. Let those other people worry about the fate of their late application.

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I just don't see how you could have an "issue" with URM's over this.


Good Point,

The only reason why I care is because looking at the number of African Americans in law school and the number of African Americans I saw taking the LSAT was disturbing. The pursuit of post-undergraduate study is an over-stated problem among African Americans and Latinos.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:53 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:
NervousInKC wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you are saying correctly, but if I do, here is my opinion:

Just because someone applies late, doesn't mean they are doing so because they think their URM status will override the late app. Tons of people in all races apply "late." I don't know what you mean by "disrespecting the process." If the applications are still open, then they are still open. Furthermore, why do you care? If you applied early, good for you. Let those other people worry about the fate of their late application.

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I just don't see how you could have an "issue" with URM's over this.


Good Point,

The only reason why I care is because looking at the number of African Americans in law school and the number of African Americans I saw taking the LSAT was disturbing. The pursuit of post-undergraduate study is an over-stated problem among African Americans and Latinos.



You have a very poor way of presenting this assertion. :roll:

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:56 pm

Actually, the reason might also be because URMs don't get as much of a boost from applying early as regular applicants do.

Most schools compare URM applicants to each other and thus don't make decisions on the majority of their URM applicants until they can look at most of the pool. For example, HLS admissions didnt come out with a lot of URM results until well past the time they started notifying most early applicants.

User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby iamcutdacheck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:Actually, the reason might also be because URMs don't get as much of a boost from applying early as regular applicants do.

Most schools compare URM applicants to each other and thus don't make decisions on the majority of their URM applicants until they can look at most of the pool. For example, HLS admissions didnt come out with a lot of URM results until well past the time they started notifying most early applicants.


Really?!?

That's news to me, that makes some sense

User avatar
yinz
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Issue with URM's

Postby yinz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:01 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:That's news to me, that makes some sense


I'm sure HLS will be glad to know they have your blessing over their admission process ;)

Also, can you change your tar; I feel like I'm in a kaleidoscope.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest