Hispanic vs PR

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jgator1

Hispanic vs PR

Postby jgator1 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:18 pm

I've read on some threads that PR and Mexican are more under represented than other Hispanics and get more consideration than them . I marked Hispanic on my LSAT but I qualify as PR. Will the diffference between Hispanic and PR be that big a deal? And, if so, how do I go about changing it?

Alyssa

Re: Hispanic vs PR

Postby Alyssa » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:22 pm

It's a HUGE difference. PR and Mexican are URM. Other Hispanics are not.

So, on the applications themselves, the schools will ask you again:

1. Are you Hispanic?
2. If yes, check one :
Puerto Rican
Mexican
Other : _____________

Also, write a diversity statement about how being Puerto Rican shaped who you are and gives you a different perspective that will add to the community and discussions at X law school.

jgator1

Postby jgator1 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks. Does anyone know if the fact that my LSAT will show a different minority status than my apps will pose a problem or (God forbid) cause them to disregard my app because they think I'm lying?

Billy Blanks

Postby Billy Blanks » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:09 pm

jgator1 wrote:Thanks. Does anyone know if the fact that my LSAT will show a different minority status than my apps will pose a problem or (God forbid) cause them to disregard my app because they think I'm lying?

I don't know if anyone knows (since there's still debate about whether adcoms post on here or not *cough* peter north), but I don't think schools would be too upset by this inconsistency. If they are, it seems likely they'd simply ask you to explain the discrepency. Perhaps I'm giving schools too much credit, but I can't imagine an adcom thinking, "hmm, this student looks great, but he check PR here and Mexican there; no way are we going to admit him now."

Alyssa

Postby Alyssa » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Billy Blanks wrote:
jgator1 wrote:Thanks. Does anyone know if the fact that my LSAT will show a different minority status than my apps will pose a problem or (God forbid) cause them to disregard my app because they think I'm lying?

I don't know if anyone knows (since there's still debate about whether adcoms post on here or not *cough* peter north), but I don't think schools would be too upset by this inconsistency. If they are, it seems likely they'd simply ask you to explain the discrepency. Perhaps I'm giving schools too much credit, but I can't imagine an adcom thinking, "hmm, this student looks great, but he check PR here and Mexican there; no way are we going to admit him now."

And the difference here is between Hispanic and PR. Technically, there isn't really a discrepancy. One is just elaborating further on the other. You'll have no problem.

If you're applying for law school this year, I'm assuming you haven't sent off LSAC reports to the schools yet. Just go back onto LSAC's website and fix the minority status. Then, there's absolutely no discrepancy between the apps and the LSAC report the schools receive.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Alyssa wrote:It's a HUGE difference. PR and Mexican are URM. Other Hispanics are not.

So, on the applications themselves, the schools will ask you again:

1. Are you Hispanic?
2. If yes, check one :
Puerto Rican
Mexican
Other : _____________

Also, write a diversity statement about how being Puerto Rican shaped who you are and gives you a different perspective that will add to the community and discussions at X law school.

IIRC, some of the apps do not have an option for qualifying what type of Hispanic you are.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:06 pm

It may vary from law school to law school depending upon the racial & ethnic composition of that institution. Decades ago an acquaintance of mine was rejected from every undergraduate physical therapy college to which he applied, except for one. He was admitted to Tuskegee University in Alabama despite his very mediocre grades. My acquaintance was (and still is) white, while Tuskegee University was & is one of the most respected historically black colleges in the nation. An interesting sidenote, he graduated at the top of his class.
Colleges & law schools may, absent state laws or court ordered restrictions, define for themselves what aspects qualify for URM status, to the best of my knowledge & belief.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”