FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:06 am

I got approved for my GradPlus loan from the govt the other day and my stomach turned looking at the 5 figure loan I'll be taking out yearly to go to law school. I'm not going to be sticker exactly, but my paltry scholarship still makes it seem that way.

Additionally, I'm having second thoughts about not taking the half-tuition scholarship I got at a lower T14.

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby hellokitty » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:07 am

So what was the point of this thread? :?

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:11 am

Georgetown half- scholarship or UVA sticker? I would pick the former.
Last edited by hiromoto45 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:11 am

For future applicants to ask questions to avoid my fate.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:12 am

D Broski, you're going to do fine man. You're going to a great school, and being a URM will give you a pretty sizeable grade cushion. It really is staggering how few AAs there are in biglaw, and with decent grades from a great school, I'm sure you will find your way into a top firm. You are a commodity in this industry, so long as you can pull grades

If anything, just use that debt as a motivator in law school. I plan to keep a framed copy of my loan report on my desk. :D
Last edited by romothesavior on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:12 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
8. THE DIVERSITY STUDENT

When she’s not busy posing for pictures for the law school’s website and viewbook, she’s enjoying the sweet life of a tuition-free education. How do you spell the name of that Native-American tribe again? Oh yeah, “f-u-l-l r-i-d-e.”

She doesn’t worry so much about preparing for class, taking exams, or career outlooks—and why should she? When her former classmates are sacrificing movie nights just so they can pay back the interest on their student loans, she’ll be relaxing in the comfy leather chair of her 45th-story downtown office. After all, you can only be a diversity student for three years until you’re a diversity hire.



Yep you fail; join the club :roll:


:? Where is that from?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby traehekat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:13 am

What is it like to take out GradPlus loans?
What is it like to know you are going to law school at a T14?
How do you feel about turning down your scholarship?
Is it cool being a minority?
Are you going to be making more threads on par with this one?
Last edited by traehekat on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby hellokitty » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:13 am

D Brooks wrote:For future applicants to ask questions to avoid my fate.

Your situation is not the end of the world you know. Just saying. :roll:

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:13 am

D Brooks wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
8. THE DIVERSITY STUDENT

When she’s not busy posing for pictures for the law school’s website and viewbook, she’s enjoying the sweet life of a tuition-free education. How do you spell the name of that Native-American tribe again? Oh yeah, “f-u-l-l r-i-d-e.”

She doesn’t worry so much about preparing for class, taking exams, or career outlooks—and why should she? When her former classmates are sacrificing movie nights just so they can pay back the interest on their student loans, she’ll be relaxing in the comfy leather chair of her 45th-story downtown office. After all, you can only be a diversity student for three years until you’re a diversity hire.



Yep you fail; join the club :roll:


:? Where is that from?


The 10 people you'll meet in law school thread.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby CG614 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:14 am

Thread FAIL. Sorry, but nobody feels for you. Man up.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:17 am

traehekat wrote:What is it like to take out GradPlus loans?
What is it like to know you are going to law school at a T14?
How do you feel about turning down your scholarship?
Is it cool being a minority?
Are you going to be making more threads on par with this one?


1. A little scary. I only took out loans for one semester in UG and that was after doing so poorly the previous semester, my parents made me pay my way the following semester :? It was only 6k though.

2. Mehh...

3. It was tough to do back in April when I had to make the final decision. Not it's heart-wrenching to think back on it. I'm happy with the school I'll be attending, but less debt is looking more and more appealing.

4. It has it's ups and downs, like anything I guess.

5. Not likely.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:17 am

CG614 wrote:Thread FAIL. Sorry, but nobody feels for you. Man up.

+ 1 I don't like the title. You make it seem being URM at a T14 entitles you to not pay sticker. If you do, then you have made a bad decision.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby traehekat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:19 am

D Brooks wrote:
traehekat wrote:What is it like to take out GradPlus loans?
What is it like to know you are going to law school at a T14?
How do you feel about turning down your scholarship?
Is it cool being a minority?
Are you going to be making more threads on par with this one?


1. A little scary. I only took out loans for one semester in UG and that was after doing so poorly the previous semester, my parents made me pay my way the following semester :? It was only 6k though.

2. Mehh...

3. It was tough to do back in April when I had to make the final decision. Not it's heart-wrenching to think back on it. I'm happy with the school I'll be attending, but less debt is looking more and more appealing.

4. It has it's ups and downs, like anything I guess.

5. Not likely.


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:20 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
CG614 wrote:Thread FAIL. Sorry, but nobody feels for you. Man up.

+ 1 I don't like the title. You make it seem being URM at a T14 entitles you to not pay sticker. If you do, then you have made a bad decision.


I don't think I'm entitled to not be paying sticker. It's just that I don't know one, personally, that is.

Also, I'll freely admit that it's my fault completely because one of my numbers wasn't so impressive.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:21 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
CG614 wrote:Thread FAIL. Sorry, but nobody feels for you. Man up.

+ 1 I don't like the title. You make it seem being URM at a T14 entitles you to not pay sticker. If you do, then you have made a bad decision.


If anything, being a URM makes sticker more viable. Your margin for error (gradewise) is significantly better. Like I said, a T14 URM is a hot item in the legal world. (Granted, it is no guarantee, but it will help for sure.)

D Brooks, this thread is stupid, but I wil say I feel your pain. Many of us 0Ls are scared and nervous, and I know I have had a few near-breakdowns. But you need to realize you are in a fantastic position right now. Now go out and make it happen. Good luck!

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby hellokitty » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:21 am

D Brooks wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
CG614 wrote:Thread FAIL. Sorry, but nobody feels for you. Man up.

+ 1 I don't like the title. You make it seem being URM at a T14 entitles you to not pay sticker. If you do, then you have made a bad decision.


I don't think I'm entitled to not be paying sticker. It's just that I don't know one, personally, that is.

Also, I'll freely admit that it's my fault completely because one of my numbers wasn't so impressive.

You are not the first URM to pay sticker. Also, you just admitted that one of your numbers wasn't impressive. Why not just be glad you're going to a T-14 and deal with it?

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:21 am

D Brooks wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
CG614 wrote:Thread FAIL. Sorry, but nobody feels for you. Man up.

+ 1 I don't like the title. You make it seem being URM at a T14 entitles you to not pay sticker. If you do, then you have made a bad decision.


I don't think I'm entitled to not be paying sticker. It's just that I don't know one, personally, that is.

Also, I'll freely admit that it's my fault completely because one of my numbers wasn't so impressive.


Do you mean at UVA or in the T14? There are definitely URMs that pay sticker at T14 schools.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby traehekat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:22 am

D Brooks wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
CG614 wrote:Thread FAIL. Sorry, but nobody feels for you. Man up.

+ 1 I don't like the title. You make it seem being URM at a T14 entitles you to not pay sticker. If you do, then you have made a bad decision.


I don't think I'm entitled to not be paying sticker. It's just that I don't know one, personally, that is.


Probably because they turned down higher ranked schools at which they would not have received a scholarship, which you did not do (not that it means you made a wrong choice or anything).

Heh, I'm just bustin' your balls though. Congrats - you are in a sweet spot even if you feel queasy about the money. Good luck!

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:23 am

Cool story bro. So where are you going? This will determine whether or not I chortle at you.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:23 am

MC Southstar wrote:Cool story bro. So where are you going? This will determine whether or not I chortle at you.


UVA, I think.

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 am

romothesavior wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:Cool story bro. So where are you going? This will determine whether or not I chortle at you.


UVA, I think.


I'd make some comment like "you should be able to do better than that!" but as a minority paying sticker for MVP, I guess we're equalized now.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 am

MC Southstar wrote:Cool story bro. So where are you going? This will determine whether or not I chortle at you.


The school this dude would attend:

Image

Hint: Not in North Carolina.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:26 am

hellokitty wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
CG614 wrote:Thread FAIL. Sorry, but nobody feels for you. Man up.

+ 1 I don't like the title. You make it seem being URM at a T14 entitles you to not pay sticker. If you do, then you have made a bad decision.


I don't think I'm entitled to not be paying sticker. It's just that I don't know one, personally, that is.

Also, I'll freely admit that it's my fault completely because one of my numbers wasn't so impressive.

You are not the first URM to pay sticker. Also, you just admitted that one of your numbers wasn't impressive. Why not just be glad you're going to a T-14 and deal with it?


True...

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:26 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
CG614 wrote:Thread FAIL. Sorry, but nobody feels for you. Man up.

+ 1 I don't like the title. You make it seem being URM at a T14 entitles you to not pay sticker. If you do, then you have made a bad decision.


I don't think I'm entitled to not be paying sticker. It's just that I don't know one, personally, that is.

Also, I'll freely admit that it's my fault completely because one of my numbers wasn't so impressive.


Do you mean at UVA or in the T14? There are definitely URMs that pay sticker at T14 schools.


Both.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: FAIL: URM paying sticker at a T14, taking questions!

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:28 am

D Brooks wrote:I don't think I'm entitled to not be paying sticker. It's just that I don't know one, personally, that is.


Found one:

MC Southstar wrote:I'd make some comment like "you should be able to do better than that!" but as a minority paying sticker for MVP, I guess we're equalized now.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aalvez, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest