Best Schools for URM's

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
oregon25

Best Schools for URM's

Postby oregon25 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 pm

I have been actively viewing this site for awhile, but this is my first post. I also apologize if their is a post like this already. I tried to search for one, but I couldnt find one. I keep hearing about URM's and the boost they get at certain schools. I am wondering if their are certain schools that seem to be best for the URM student to apply at.

Holly Golightly

Re: Best Schools for URM's

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:54 pm

Harvard

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:55 pm

Depends on your grades and LSAT. As far as I am aware, URMs get a boost at all schools (or at least the overwhelming majority). Give us your GPA/LSAT and we can help you build a list of places to apply.

Core

Postby Core » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:56 pm

Yale, followed by BYU.

Core

Postby Core » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:Depends on your grades and LSAT. As far as I am aware, URMs get a boost at all schools (or at least the overwhelming majority). Give us your GPA/LSAT and we can help you build a list of places to apply.

TCR :)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:59 pm

Core wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Depends on your grades and LSAT. As far as I am aware, URMs get a boost at all schools (or at least the overwhelming majority). Give us your GPA/LSAT and we can help you build a list of places to apply.

I dunno why Core, but every time I see your avatar I think it is Ken at first glance. Twice today you have told me I was credited (or something like it), and I got really excited. All for nothing. (Not that I don't appreciate your approval. :D Enjoy Penn! )

Core

Postby Core » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Core wrote:

I dunno why Core, but every time I see your avatar I think it is Ken at first glance. Twice today you have told me I was credited (or something like it), and I got really excited. All for nothing. (Not that I don't appreciate your approval. :D Enjoy Penn! )

Lol! I'm glad you're excited to have my approval :) I'm sure Ken likewise believes you are credited!
Thanks. Same to you at WashU!

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:11 pm

+1

T14. Just like non-urms.

Mr.JD2015

Postby Mr.JD2015 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:43 pm

@romothesavior

AA Male 2.7, 160 (retake Oct '11)

Alltheirsplendor

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:45 am

Oh boy. This question is never greeted kindly. Run for the hills, OP.

Anyways, I'm not sure what you mean by "best." If you mean a school that's best for URMs interested in skiing, go to Colorado Law. If you mean something else, you need to specify.

I'm gonna guess you mean a school that's most welcoming to URMs. If that's the case, I would advise you to think hard about your and other URMs undergraduate experiences, and then apply to the T14.

See the leap? There's a reason...

dynamic28

Postby dynamic28 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:55 pm

Alltheirsplendor wrote:Oh boy. This question is never greeted kindly. Run for the hills, OP.

Anyways, I'm not sure what you mean by "best." If you mean a school that's best for URMs interested in skiing, go to Colorado Law. If you mean something else, you need to specify.

I'm gonna guess you mean a school that's most welcoming to URMs. If that's the case, I would advise you to think hard about your and other URMs undergraduate experiences, and then apply to the T14.

See the leap? There's a reason...

So any T14 is best for URM's? I think the original question is something along the lines of "I'm a URM and want to go to a T14, what schools are easier for URM's to get in than others?"

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:59 pm

dynamic28 wrote: So any T14 is best for URM's? I think the original question is something along the lines of "I'm a URM and want to go to a T14, what schools are easier for URM's to get in than others?"

It all depends on your numbers.

Also, what's your deal, man?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:25 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:

+1

T14. Just like non-urms.

Both of these are credited.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:02 pm

It's funny. This was the first question that I had asked on the forum as well, and it was greeted with tons of criticism. This turned out to be a non-issue down the line for my cycle, but as I wondered then and now, its very surprising to me that no school stands out as being very supportive for its minority students....

Top-tier MBA programs really tout their minority support systems (specifically for AAs and Hispanics) when competing to get highly-qualified URM's to their programs. With the low number of qualified URM law school applicants, I'm surprised that none of the law schools, even within the grouped peer schools in the T14, seem to do the same. For example, if I'm deciding between MVP, with full rides from all of them (which was basically the situation I faced last spring), its interesting to me that IMHO none of the schools choose the URM support system as a point of differentiation.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:13 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:This turned out to be a non-issue down the line for my cycle, but as I wondered then and now, its very surprising to me that no school stands out as being very supportive for its minority students....

Not a URM here. I am pretty sure I get what you are saying, but I think all the T-14 at least give a fair but nice boost to URMs. I don't know if it would be in a school's interest to be known as THE PLACE to go if you are a URM because then it might take away the whole reason URMs are given a boost in the application process, to get all sorts of people with all sorts of views on the same campus URMs and non-URMS alike.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”