HONEST Thoughts on my PS topics...

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
IAMGenius

HONEST Thoughts on my PS topics...

Postby IAMGenius » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:49 pm

I was hoping someone could give me advice on my PS topics. I am am African-American male trying to get into a tier 1 school and my scores are falling around the 25% mark for most of the schools.

1) I want to compare two stories about my life. One is about how my high school football coach told me I wasn't good enough to play football at the D-1 level and that I should try to go to a D-3 school. I set it in my mind to prove him wrong and ended up making the team at a highly ranked D-1 school. I want to blend this story with the story of my life and how as a AA male many people throughout my life have tried to steer me toward taking the easy path, often making comments like "you could never do this or that" or "your not going to make it doing that with your life".

2) My second topic is about how during my sophmore year in college one of my very close cousins went missing in the military for about a year and how that basically ruined my life for that period of time. I went into self-described depression and at times could barely eat. Then lead into how I learned to cope with it and became a better person knowing that "today could be your last day".

3) My last choice is just about the organizations i founded during college and how they led me to wanting a career in law.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Even if you think none of these would make a good topic and that I should start over. Be honest!

MURPH

Re: HONEST Thoughts on my PS topics...

Postby MURPH » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:04 pm

write all of them. The first one has the most potential. Having been through this process last cycle, I can tell you that you will most likely need all three. Some schools ask questions that are easier to answer. Also write some generic Why law? Why School X? Where do you see yourself 5 years from now. Try to write a couple of versions of each and blend them into your three essays.
Once you write the three above it will be pretty easy to cater them to specific questions.

IAMGenius

Postby IAMGenius » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:12 pm

MURPH wrote:write all of them. The first one has the most potential. Having been through this process last cycle, I can tell you that you will most likely need all three. Some schools ask questions that are easier to answer. Also write some generic Why law? Why School X? Where do you see yourself 5 years from now. Try to write a couple of versions of each and blend them into your three essays.
Once you write the three above it will be pretty easy to cater them to specific questions.

Thanks! I'm about to start writing pretty soon. I wanted to have them all done by the end of the summer.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:13 pm

MURPH wrote:write all of them. The first one has the most potential. Having been through this process last cycle, I can tell you that you will most likely need all three. Some schools ask questions that are easier to answer. Also write some generic Why law? Why School X? Where do you see yourself 5 years from now. Try to write a couple of versions of each and blend them into your three essays.

I did alright with one essay that I sent to every school, but I do agree that if you are looking at writing those topics as they stand maybe you'd need more than one. Some schools really want to hear the answer to "Why law school?" in your PS. Could you find a way to blend topics 1 and 3 into a single essay?

IAMGenius

Postby IAMGenius » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:18 pm

emrose wrote:

I did alright with one essay that I sent to every school, but I do agree that if you are looking at writing those topics as they stand maybe you'd need more than one. Some schools really want to hear the answer to "Why law school?" in your PS. Could you find a way to blend topics 1 and 3 into a single essay?

Yea that is definetly possible.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:24 pm

IAMGenius wrote:
emrose wrote:

Yea that is definetly possible.

Seems like that could be a really strong essay. Definitely start writing as soon as possible. Getting my PS to the point where I was pretty happy with it took a lot longer than I thought it would.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”