HEEELP! Gtown PT vs. Cornell

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

Gtown P/T vs. Cornell F/T

Gtown P/T
44%
Cornell
56%

Total votes: 34

sos419

HEEELP! Gtown PT vs. Cornell

Postby sos419 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:37 am

I need to make this life altering decision within the next few days. I was admitted to GULC part time and Cornell but I don't know where to go.
I live in D.C. and would like to work in D.C. (hopefully DOJ), and I have very limited desire to ever do biglaw. I can transfer to full time after 1L, but I'll have to take summer classes which will limit my 1L summer employment options. My job is being eliminated and I have no desire to work while at GULC. I'm also worried about the reputation diff between GULC P/T and F/T. I'm beginning to think Cornell might be a better option for me.
Somebody give this poor guy some guidance.
Last edited by sos419 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

savesthedayajb

Re: HEEELP! Gtown PT vs. Cornell

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:40 am

Although I'm desperately waiting for your GULC PT spot to open up, I believe it's the right school for you if you want to stay in DC. And that's probably worth the sacrifice of taking some classes 1L summer.

sos419

Postby sos419 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:41 am

Does living in D.C. really give me that much of an advantage with local employers? Enough to overcome being an unemployed part time student?

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:44 am

neither without scholarship...if your post history is correct, your cycle should have turned out better.

DavidYurman85

Postby DavidYurman85 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:46 am

sos419 wrote:Does living in D.C. really give me that much of an advantage with local employers? Enough to overcome being an unemployed part time student?

i think so. you will have room to network and intern during the school year. most of the gov. agencies accept interns during the school year, plus you will have access to the hill and bl firms - incase you decide to give it a shot. considering your career goals, dc seems like the better option.

oh, and a few friends did pt and still participated in summer employment, so you should be fine.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:47 am

OK, so I go to Cornell. I personally know of two people working in DC this summer (1L) for the DOJ. I am quite sure there are more b/c I don't really know where too many people are working this summer.

If you love D.C., maybe you should stay there. Obviously Georgetown places most of their students in that market. I don't think that there is too much of a stigma attached to the p/t program at Georgetown and I understand it is pretty easy to transfer to f/t. It does seem a little depressing to go p/t without a job.

However, to think that you would be shut out of federal government work by going to Cornell is pretty silly. I actually think that you have two good choices here. Cornell gives you the advantage of being able to work 1L summer (and does not at all shut the door to D.C. employment during that summer) while GT gives you the chance to stay in your chosen market.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:51 am

hiromoto45 wrote:neither without scholarship

toolfan

Postby toolfan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:00 pm

Were you able to land scholly money from a t-25? If so, go there.

sos419

Postby sos419 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:43 pm

toolfan wrote:Were you able to land scholly money from a t-25? If so, go there.

I applied to very few other schools and got no money, these are the two best schools I got into.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:44 pm

By when do you need to decide?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Can you transfer to full time regardless of your grades? Add into your analysis the possibility of bad grades. Seems like Cornell is the winner here.

sos419

Postby sos419 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:03 am

Basically, I need to decide within the next two days.

I don't think tranferring to F/T is based on grades. However, I'm still bothered by 1L summer employment.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:44 am

Go to GULC.
The advantages of networking in the town where you want to work outweigh the benefits of getting finished in three years.
Read this: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/gene ... -1ls-(long)/
the jist of it is that you don't want to be only networking with classmates who are competeing for the same jobs as you. You want to spend your time joining professional organizations, going places where lawyers and judges congregate and meeting people who can help you land a job. If you can do that for a few years in the town where you want to work the opportunities will be outstanding. No doubt Cornell has terrific opportunities and a great alumni network but you will be in Ithica every day and that is not where you want to be networking if you want to live in DC.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”