Graduate degree from Oxford and chances at HYS ? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
patchin411

New

Graduate degree from Oxford and chances at HYS ?

Post by patchin411 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:29 am

Does being an AA male with a graduate degree from Oxford in a physical science make you a strong candidate for HYS?

my LSAC ugpa 3.82 in Chem. Graduated from Ivy. Took risks in undergrad class. I made a B+ in gradauate level chem as junior. won respect of the department b/c I was tthe only undergrad to take the class. Otherwise Straight As in Hard science classes with pre meds.

Or is the Oxford just a soft? I don't know what the cycles look like in terms of AA males. I am serious! I also grew in single parent family (mom, brother, and sister) with little resources.

Strong interest in intellectual property law. I have two publications in chem during undergrad years.

What number on the LSAT do I need?

I won a scholarship for study at Oxford but it was not Marshall/Rhodes

I am not the best standardized test taker. But I have never used a test prep program

jayn3

Silver

Re: Graduate degree from Oxford and chances at HYS ?

Post by jayn3 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:31 am

(sigh)

c0rpusdelicti

New

Post by c0rpusdelicti » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:05 am

weak flame.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:03 pm

patchin411 wrote:Does being an AA male with a graduate degree from Oxford in a physical science make you a strong candidate for HYS?

my LSAC ugpa 3.82 in Chem. Graduated from Ivy. Took risks in undergrad class. I made a B+ in gradauate level chem as junior. won respect of the department b/c I was tthe only undergrad to take the class. Otherwise Straight As in Hard science classes with pre meds.

Or is the Oxford just a soft? I don't know what the cycles look like in terms of AA males. I am serious! I also grew in single parent family (mom, brother, and sister) with little resources.

Strong interest in intellectual property law. I have two publications in chem during undergrad years.

What number on the LSAT do I need?

I won a scholarship for study at Oxford but it was not Marshall/Rhodes

I am not the best standardized test taker. But I have never used a test prep program
As an AA male, I can tell you this all sounds impressive. But none of it matters without an LSAT. Get a 170 or above, and I bet you'll get into all three
(I had a 168 3.7- Got accepted at H, rejected at Y, waitlisted at S, but I applied late)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”