NA URM boost

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
digitalcntrl

NA URM boost

Postby digitalcntrl » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:04 pm

I have a close friend who is planning on applying next year to LS. He is 1/4th Native American as asked if he could get a URM boost. I told him to register with his tribe first. He is in the process of doing so. However, is the enough? I have heard from some on this board that you also need to be part of the NA culture as well. Is this a legal requirement or mere moralizing?

bk1

Re: NA URM boost

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:07 pm

I think people on here have said that 1/4 is the minimum, but I am not sure.

As long as he has a tribal card, it isn't like it specifically states on an app that someone is 1/2 white, 1/4 Asian, 1/4 NA (as an example). It would just say that the person is white, Asian, and NA, not the specific percentages.

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:26 am

bk1 wrote:I think people on here have said that 1/4 is the minimum, but I am not sure.

As long as he has a tribal card, it isn't like it specifically states on an app that someone is 1/2 white, 1/4 Asian, 1/4 NA (as an example). It would just say that the person is white, Asian, and NA, not the specific percentages.

I believe that it varies from tribe to tribe. According to my friend he has sufficient blood quanta to meet his tribe's requirements to get a card.

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:37 am

Nightrunner wrote:To some degree, it is moralizing.

In a nutshell:

If you friend gets enrolled: he's good to go.
If your friend does not get enrolled: he'll probably need to find confirmed tribal lineage (a parent or grandparent who is/was enrolled with the tribe).

A tribal enrollment number is essential; without verified connection to a recognized tribe or a connection to the culture, he is free to check the box, but don't expect much of a boost.

He will likely get his card. My main question was whether this was sufficient. I wasn't sure if he had to something else to for his DS (e.g. get in touch with his NA side).

Also the guy has like a 3.8 in poli. sci., would a decent LSAT (say 165-168), be sufficient for HYS? I am really trying to motivate him to study for the Oct. LSAT (maybe take a PowerScore course).

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:53 am

Nice job friend. Sure I am NA, but only if it gets me into law school. Do I [i]have to[i] get in touch with my heritage? Oh well, I guess I will. Harvard here I come. Bravo!

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:59 am

I kind of get the feeling that the NA is not quantified in the same way the AA/PR/Mex boost is. For example, if you look on LSN at some of the NA applicants some of their cycles fit their numbers and some fit with a boost. So perhaps you need to show some connection to your NA heritage to get the full weight of the boost. I'm just speculating on my observations but its something to think about.

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:40 pm

KMaine wrote:Nice job friend. Sure I am NA, but only if it gets me into law school. Do I [i]have to[i] get in touch with my heritage? Oh well, I guess I will. Harvard here I come. Bravo!

Bravo indeed. He is merely taking advantage of an opportunity afforded to him. If that means playing along with this BS, so be it. Unfortunately I am not so fortunate, but I am not one to harp on another's good fortune.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”