URM and Gay chances?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
user82189

URM and Gay chances?

Postby user82189 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:17 am

Hello,

I am Mexican and identify as being homosexual. I have a 4.0 from the University of Florida, business economics major. I am also consistently scoring around the 170-172 range on recent preptests. I take the upcoming June LSAT in 4 days, so I don't have a definitive score as of yet. But if I score around the 170-172 range, what are my chances at T14 schools?

Thanks!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Re: URM and Gay chances?

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:24 am

Being Gay matters very little in and of itself.

Your GPA is a great start but you need to actually take the LSAT and then come back and ask this again.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:40 am

LGB only helps if you had a tough experience with family or friends and thus have a good story.

If you get a 170 or higher, you have a good shot at Yale and should be a lock elsewhere.

quishiclocus

Postby quishiclocus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:28 pm

Oh, yay! I'm not the only one. I'm actually less curious how it's going to go from an admissions standpoint than whether I'm going to end up totally persona non grata if I try to participate in both LGBT and Hispanic student groups. Guess we'll see. I'm still iffy on the notion of even mentioning the lesbian part on my applications. I know most law schools are supposed to be quite progressive, but... it makes me nervous.

dbt

Postby dbt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:30 pm

4.0/169 Gay Mexican sounds like Harvard material to me.

In my experience people drop 2-3 points from their PT average on the real thing, so try to crank it up a point or two.

Hiei

Postby Hiei » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:33 pm

dbt wrote:4.0/169 Gay Mexican sounds like Harvard material to me.

In my experience people drop 2-3 points from their PT average on the real thing, so try to crank it up a point or two.

Maybe even Yale. Don't forget to try Stanford (they might actually be your best shot of the big 3).

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:04 am

Very very high shot at NYU. They are known for loving the gay applicants.

LoyolaLaw2012

Postby LoyolaLaw2012 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:12 am

I only had one school send me a letter about how open it is to gay applicants. I think that I agree with the earlier comment about whether you had an adverse experience dealing with being gay.

user82189

Postby user82189 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks guys for all your input! Let's hope I do well on the real thing. Can't believe it's in 2 days.

klt7560

Postby klt7560 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:25 pm

lol, all of u guys are funny... but yeah law schools love students who are different and bring diversity. I would think you being latino american as well as openly gay and comfortable with yourself would be a major plus as long as you convey on your app. how those experiences helped u develop maturity, empathy, strength, etc...

and with a good gpa/lsat you'll probably get into one or more T14 and definitely T1.

user82189

Postby user82189 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:21 am

This update is long overdue, but since my last post, I have taken the June LSAT and received a score of 165, much lower than what I was practicing. I missed 6 logic game questions because I was so nervous, when I usually missed none or 1.

Anyway, I decided not to retake and just apply. I applied to the top 20 schools plus my home university at UF. The best school I've gotten into so far is Berkeley (#7)

Here are my updated stats:
URM
GPA-4.0
LSAT-165
Personal statement: About the hardships of coming out/being discriminated and how my experiences have not only shaped who I am and strengthened me, but also lead to my desire to attend law school.
Diversity statement: About growing up in a financially disadvantaged household, being discriminated/made fun of because of my race, having to try harder to prove myself, and having to pay my way through college.

Do you guys think I still have a shot at any of the top 6 schools?

AdamAndSteve

Postby AdamAndSteve » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:32 pm

user82189 wrote:This update is long overdue, but since my last post, I have taken the June LSAT and received a score of 165, much lower than what I was practicing. I missed 6 logic game questions because I was so nervous, when I usually missed none or 1.

Anyway, I decided not to retake and just apply. I applied to the top 20 schools plus my home university at UF. The best school I've gotten into so far is Berkeley (#7)

URM
GPA-4.0
LSAT-165
Personal statement: About the hardships of coming out/being discriminated and how my experiences have not only shaped who I am and strengthened me, but also lead to my desire to attend law school.
Diversity statement: About growing up in a financially disadvantaged household, being discriminated/made fun of because of my race, having to try harder to prove myself, and having to pay my way through college.

I'm a 3.3/167 gay Mexican-American. Want to get married in MA and adopt a child from Africa?

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:49 pm

AdamAndSteve wrote:
user82189 wrote:This update is long overdue, but since my last post, I have taken the June LSAT and received a score of 165, much lower than what I was practicing. I missed 6 logic game questions because I was so nervous, when I usually missed none or 1.

URM
GPA-4.0
LSAT-165

I'm a 3.3/167 gay Mexican-American. Want to get married in MA and adopt a child from Africa?

Hahahahahaha!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”