Hawaiian a URM Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jeremydc

Bronze

Hawaiian a URM

Post by jeremydc » Wed May 19, 2010 2:30 pm

I have searched the forum and have not seen any definite answer. I read answers from "NO" to "The admissions lady said Hawaiians are grouped in Polynesians which are URM."

I just need the right answer with maybe a link?

jeremydc

Bronze

Re: Hawaiian a URM

Post by jeremydc » Wed May 19, 2010 2:35 pm

Also signed up for the LSAC and Hawaiian was not grouped together with Asians if that helps any.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Wed May 19, 2010 2:38 pm

The only URMs for the purpose of Law School Admissions are African-Americans, Native Americans, Puerto Ricans, and Mexicans. Anyone who says anything different is just wrong. Other groups are minorities and may be able to write interesting diversity statements, but they don't receive systematic bump-like advantages in the admissions process.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed May 19, 2010 2:45 pm

Rand M. wrote:The only URMs for the purpose of Law School Admissions are African-Americans, Native Americans, Puerto Ricans, and Mexicans. Anyone who says anything different is just wrong. Other groups are minorities and may be able to write interesting diversity statements, but they don't receive systematic bump-like advantages in the admissions process.
It's all spelled out in black and white via the LSAC website:
http://www.lsac.org/specialinterests/mi ... cation.asp

Also, they seem to have taken out Mexican American and replaced it with "Latino". I wonder if they are opening up the pool?

jeremydc

Bronze

Post by jeremydc » Wed May 19, 2010 2:58 pm

So Hawaiians are grouped with Asians then.

jeremydc

Bronze

Post by jeremydc » Wed May 26, 2010 7:55 pm

There seems to be no definite answer still.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed May 26, 2010 8:02 pm

jeremydc wrote:There seems to be no definite answer still.
LOL!!!! Um yea, I guess if LSAC doesn't list Sumoan as part of the group of URM's and you still think it should, then there's still no definitive answer! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, do you give foot massages?

rv11

Bronze

Post by rv11 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:04 pm

Are New Yorkers URM?

jeremydc

Bronze

Post by jeremydc » Wed May 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Lol, should have known that was comming................

You see I heard some admissions would say yes and others would say no.

So I guess my qquestion is whether or not to mark down as a URM or just to the DS instead and hope for the best?

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed May 26, 2010 8:15 pm

jeremydc wrote:Lol, should have known that was comming................

So I guess my qquestion is whether or not to mark down as a URM or just to the DS instead and hope for the best?
You heard some admissions????

Here's a test for you. If you pass it, feel free to move on with the process.

Who's advice should you take:

A: LSAC's. The people who run the whole law school admissions show.

B: Someone who told you they thought some admissions might consider you URM.

Good luck!

savetheturtles

New

Post by savetheturtles » Wed May 26, 2010 8:15 pm

Assuming the OP means native Hawaiian, wouldn't this fall under Native American?

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:18 pm

savetheturtles wrote:Assuming the OP means native Hawaiian, wouldn't this fall under Native American?
That's right! A native Texan would also fall under Native American, as Texans and Hawaiians are both Americans.

rv11

Bronze

Post by rv11 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:19 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:

Good luck!

Neither. Both of those options aren't the people who are actually evaluating applications.

savetheturtles

New

Post by savetheturtles » Wed May 26, 2010 8:20 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
savetheturtles wrote:Assuming the OP means native Hawaiian, wouldn't this fall under Native American?
That's right! A native Texan would also fall under Native American, as Texans and Hawaiians are both Americans.
There were indigenous peoples in Hawaii before it became a part of America.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed May 26, 2010 8:22 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote: It's all spelled out in black and white via the LSAC website:
http://www.lsac.org/specialinterests/mi ... cation.asp

Also, they seem to have taken out Mexican American and replaced it with "Latino". I wonder if they are opening up the pool?
But this also lists Asian, which is not really a true URM category, i.e. one that would help with LS admission, as far as I know.

True native Hawaiians, not just Asian folks in and from Hawaii (many of whom think of themselves as "Hawaiian"), are classified as "Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander," and I believe typically get beneficial URM status for admissions in general.
Last edited by drdolittle on Wed May 26, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:22 pm

savetheturtles wrote:
*sigh*....Hawaiian =/= Native American. I don't really know what else to say without sounding like a condescending enema.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed May 26, 2010 8:24 pm

OK, I might actually have to enjoy eating my foot this evening..... I'm not 100% sure on this but,
American Samoa is considered “unincorporated” because the US Constitution does not apply in full. The primacy of Samoan custom over all sources of traditional law is recognized by the Samoan Constitution (enacted in 1967), by the Tripartite Convention of 1899 that created the territory and by subsequent amendments and authority. Article 1, Section 3 of the Bill of Rights of the Constitution of American Samoa states: “It shall be the policy of the government of American Samoa to protect persons of Samoan Ancestry against alienation of their lands and the destruction of the Samoan way of life and language, contrary to their best interests. Such legislation as may be necessary may be enacted to protect the lands, customs, culture and traditional Samoan family organization of persons of Samoan ancestry, and to encourage business enterprises by such persons. No change in the law respecting the alienation or transfer of land or any interest therein, shall be effective unless the same be approved by two successive legislatures by a two-thirds vote of the entire membership of each house and by the Governor.”

American Samoan natives born in the Territory are US nationals and not American citizens. American Samoans are categorized as native Americans by the US government. The Territory is represented by a non-voting member in US House of Representatives. The US Department of the Interior, Office of Insular Affairs, provides technical assistance, represents territorial views to the federal government and oversees federal expenditures and operations.

The Governor is the head of the American Samoa government. There are two legislative chambers and an independent judiciary. Administratively, the Territory is divided into three districts and two unorganized atolls, which are subdivided into 74 villages. The protocols of the Fa`amatai (chiefly system) and the Fono (council made of chiefs, or matais) operate at the family, village, regional and national levels. They decide on distribution of family exchanges and tenancy of communal lands.
OK, with this, are you registered with the American Sumoan tribe? Perhaps Nightrunner could shed some light on this as well.

jeremydc

Bronze

Post by jeremydc » Wed May 26, 2010 8:24 pm

IDK what to say. I dont want to start anything I just want to know if I can check that I am a URM.

My best guess would be that each school's admissions council has thier own individual definition of a URM. Some might not see Native Hawaiian as a URM and others might.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed May 26, 2010 8:25 pm

rv11 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

Good luck!

Neither. Both of those options aren't the people who are actually evaluating applications.
Aha, BUT LSAC sets the URM standard.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed May 26, 2010 8:26 pm

jeremydc wrote:IDK what to say. I dont want to start anything I just want to know if I can check that I am a URM.

My best guess would be that each school's admissions council has thier own individual definition of a URM. Some might not see Native Hawaiian as a URM and others might.
Answer this question: Are you native Samoan American?? Yes or no?

jeremydc

Bronze

Post by jeremydc » Wed May 26, 2010 8:27 pm

Native Hawaiian.

rv11

Bronze

Post by rv11 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:28 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
rv11 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

Good luck!

No they don't. Applications have a different way of asking for race/ethnicity and it's ultimately up to the schools if they personally want to give that individual a boost in the admissions process. I believe the only reason people ever ask if they fall under the URM category is to see if they will receive this benefit.

jeremydc

Bronze

Post by jeremydc » Wed May 26, 2010 8:31 pm

That is not the "only reason."

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed May 26, 2010 8:33 pm

savetheturtles wrote:
*sigh*....Hawaiian =/= Native American. I don't really know what else to say without sounding like a condescending enema.
Wait, really? I don't think so, but I'm not sure either. I mean native American would tend to me to mean native to the Americas. last time I checked Hawaii was not really connected to the Americas, since we kinds just took it over and it's in the middle of the ocean and stuff. But Alaskan's are native Americans, and we bought that, but, again last time I checked, Alaska was attached to the Americas viva America's Hat. I really don't know the answer to this, but that would be my argument against them being considered "native Americans" rather than "pacific islanders". But personally i don't really like calling people names like Native American or Pacific islanders, I prefer the more non-offsive generic "you people" when describing anyone different from me.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed May 26, 2010 8:34 pm

rv11 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
rv11 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote: You heard some admissions????

Good luck!

No they don't. Applications have a different way of asking for race/ethnicity and it's ultimately up to the schools if they personally want to give that individual a boost in the admissions process. I believe the only reason people ever ask if they fall under the URM category is to see if they will receive this benefit.
They can give a boost if they think it will help with the "diversity" of the class, but they only get Federal credit for the groups listed by LSAC.

And for Christ's sake OP, if this whole fucking time you've been looking for a boost because you were born in Hawaii and NOT EVEN SAMOAN, fuck me for wasting my time with you.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”