Unique, URM or not? Any impact?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
MadHatress

Unique, URM or not? Any impact?

Postby MadHatress » Tue May 18, 2010 11:47 pm

edit: (was advised to take that down cuz I said too much about myself...) sorry.
Last edited by MadHatress on Thu May 20, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

d34d9823

Re: Unique, URM or not? Any impact?

Postby d34d9823 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:48 pm

The only reason to leave it out is if you want to feel like you made it on your numbers.

If you just want to get in, you should emphasize it.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:50 pm

If you are AA, you are URM. And those other aspects should be included in your PS and DS if they are major parts of your life and you have something to say about them. Do not try to force them into your PS or DS just to emphasize your URM status.

MadHatress

Postby MadHatress » Wed May 19, 2010 12:10 am

Ok so I am a URM and should mention it. Thanks...I guess Im wondering more how relevant my particular status is? Is it unique and URM enough that it is worth writing a DS on, or is about average and therefore prone to just blending in with a pile of 'im under-represented...blah blah blah'.

On a different note, could any of those factors hurt me? As in, would I be better off not mentioning some things that alot of ppl could be opinionated about?

I guess the bottom-line is if you were me what would you do w/ those traits? Why?

Thanks again :)

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:16 am

This sounds like a flame but if you are serious there was another poster on here like you but male. He had like a 170+ LSAT but I don't remember his GPA. Everyone thought he was golden for YHS etc. But he ended being wait-listed and rejected at many schools.

You shouldn't feel that you should hide who are to gain admission to law school. This approach will hurt your application. Write about what you want and not think about where or what your URM status will get you. It should be an after thought and not the factor driving your decision making.

You can write a DS or just mention your diverse factors in your PS. Personally I didn't write a DS or write about anything revolving around my race or URM status.

MadHatress

Postby MadHatress » Wed May 19, 2010 12:29 am

hiromoto45 wrote:This sounds like a flame but if you are serious there was another poster on here like you but male. He had like a 170+ LSAT but I don't remember his GPA. Everyone thought he was golden for YHS etc. But he ended being wait-listed and rejected at many schools.

You shouldn't feel that you should hide who are to gain admission to law school. This approach will hurt your application. Write about what you want and not think about where or what your URM status will get you. It should be an after thought and not the factor driving your decision making.

You can write a DS or just mention your diverse factors in your PS. Personally I didn't write a DS or write about anything revolving around my race or URM status.

Thanks for the reply. Its not a flame...but I guess that answers the question of how unique my status is. Was it just the 170+ LSAT that made ppl think he was set for YHS? Or did his other factors affect that opinion? Do you know if he got into any of the T14's? Further, why didnt you write a DS/URM statement? Was your URM status typical/not very-under represented?

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:40 am

You status are unique but getting into law school takes more than just unique soft factors. I think a majority of people thought the guy would be a lock-in at many schools because the rarity of his softs and cultural background.

I had written my PS before knowing about URM status.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”