URM Big Law Attorney Taking Questions

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
romothesavior

Re: URM Big Law Attorney Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 18, 2010 9:52 pm

Sorry if anyone was offended... I was just thought your question was kinda funny and I was trying to find some outlandish hairstyle and I thought that one did the trick. I wasn't trying to direct it towards you, hiro. Your question was legit.
Last edited by romothesavior on Tue May 18, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Tue May 18, 2010 10:03 pm

:roll:
Last edited by miamiman on Thu May 20, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Tue May 18, 2010 10:06 pm

Last edited by Joga Bonito on Tue May 18, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:06 pm

:roll: Why make a mockery?
Last edited by hiromoto45 on Tue May 18, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Tue May 18, 2010 10:18 pm

hiromoto45 wrote::roll: Why make a mockery? This is offensive.

Yeah, I agree this is kind of offensive.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:19 pm

Let's get this back on track:

1. Does poaching of URMs really happen? To the extent that it is a valid reason why the number of URM partners are low?

2. Do you think URMs don't pursue the partner track because of the lack of URM partners? Do they feel they can not make as meaningful connections and relationships with non-urms? For those who do try, is there success rate as good as their non-urm peers at partnership?

3. Do you think URMs have been affected more, less, or same as non-urms in the legal field? Be it summer positions or permanent employment?

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:25 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:Let's get this back on track:

1. Does poaching of URMs really happen? To the extent that it is a valid reason why the number of URM partners are low?

2. Do you think URMs don't pursue the partner track because of the lack of URM partners? Do they feel they can not make as meaningful connections and relationships with non-urms? For those who do try, is there success rate as good as their non-urm peers at partnership?

3. Do you think URMs have been affected more, less, or same as non-urms in the legal field? Be it summer positions or permanent employment?

Not trying to be rude but you should probably contact the Black Lawyers Association in your area because alot of the questions you're asking would probably require different opinions.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:30 pm

I'm not asking just for myself. There are a lot of URMs that will benefit from this information. TLS has been pretty sufficient in answering other types of legal employment questions.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu May 20, 2010 8:57 am

Why is this turning into a shit show? Ask questions to OP. Praise OP for answering questions.
End of story, anything else let's get it in on another thread.

OP, thanks for answering questions. This is really helpful!

Out of the office, are you invited or participate in socials with your co-workers/ seniors? I was advised that doing well in large firms for any person urm or not, was to excel both in and out of the office. As a URM are you getting the oppourtunities to do the latter?

ElecEng_2_IPAtty

Postby ElecEng_2_IPAtty » Thu May 20, 2010 9:53 am

trialjunky wrote:Why is this turning into a shit show? Ask questions to OP. Praise OP for answering questions.

OP, thanks for answering questions. This is really helpful!

Out of the office, are you invited or participate in socials with your co-workers/ seniors? I was advised that doing well in large firms for any person urm or not, was to excel both in and out of the office. As a URM are you getting the oppourtunities to do the latter?

Yes. I get invited often. I go when I can, but I don't break personal plans to attend social functions outside of the office. Others (URMs and non-URMs) make it a priority to accept every invite. It really depends on personal preference and firm culture.
Last edited by ElecEng_2_IPAtty on Thu May 20, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

thegovernor

Postby thegovernor » Thu May 20, 2010 10:11 am

Last edited by thegovernor on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

adrib

Postby adrib » Thu May 20, 2010 10:23 am

OP, thank you so, so much for starting this thread. I really appreciate your insight :D

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Thu May 20, 2010 10:34 am

thegovernor wrote:

Is this a joke? Just work hard and quit thinking the whole entire world is out to get you. Sorry.

Youre an idiot.

Thanks for taking questions, OP. Thanks for asking questions a lot of us would like to know, hiro.

Postby 20121109 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:41 am

thegovernor wrote:

[strike]Is this a joke? Just work hard and quit thinking the whole entire world is out to get you. Sorry.[/strike]

<3

thegovernor

Postby thegovernor » Thu May 20, 2010 10:42 am

Hhp
Last edited by thegovernor on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20121109 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:44 am

thegovernor wrote:
Jay-Electronica wrote:
thegovernor wrote:

Is this a joke? Just work hard and quit thinking the whole entire world is out to get you. Sorry.

Youre an idiot.

Thanks for taking questions, OP. Thanks for asking questions a lot of us would like to know, hiro.

I just don't understand this logic? All this attitude does is further the racial divide. The vast majority of white people aren't racist, probably equivalent to the number of racist black people, but it's extremely important to point out how people with this attitude FEED off the 'race card'. Glad you're not hyper-sensitive or anything though Jay-Elec

Dude, honestly. Nothing she is saying is furthering the racial divide. She is asking very legitimate questions. They may not be relevant to you, but they are to a lot of URMs. Let it go, buddy.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:49 am

Are these posters making silly comments actually URM? What is the point in making a post regarding a topic that doesn't even apply to you? And to the poster who put up the hair pic; You thought the question was silly because you most likely don't have to think about the issue of expressing your personality and cultural identity or being accepted in corporate america.

SuperCool23

Postby SuperCool23 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:50 am

Is it hard finding time for family? and what were your #'s entering law school

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu May 20, 2010 10:52 am

Thegovernor, please review post below:

trialjunky wrote:Why is this turning into a shit show? In this thread we should only do the following --> Ask questions to OP. Praise OP for answering questions.

If you legitimately want to have this conversation, start a thread and post a link here. All you’re doing right now is completely derailing this IMPORTANT thread.

OP, do you do the whole tennis/gold circuit with the senior attorneys/judges?

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks guys! This guy clearly doesn't understand any of my questions.

Poaching: Poaching is just headhunters that find people for other job opportunities. I've heard that poaching happens quite often to URMs in biglaw. I want to know if it a paulsible explanation for not seeing URMs in partner positions.

Since there is are serious lack of URMs in partner positions, it may be harder (as suggested by lawyers) for URM associates to build relationships with non-urm parnters. Race isn't dividing a partner from taking an URM associate under his wing. But more likely due to poaching and the lack of URM partners in the first place, I wanted to know if those URMs that show their interest and that are serious about pursuing a career as a partner are as successful at achieving it as their non-urm peers.

If you ever took Economics 101 or happened to watch any news programs in your life, you would know that minorities are affected by downturns in the economy at rates greater than whites. I wanted to know if that principle carried into law. Many firms have diversity programs, such programs are usually cut in times of economic downturn. Check abovethelaw for articles if you like.

What is the point of having an URM biglaw person coming on here to answer questions if people are discouraging others from answering questions that affect us. Theew is no reason to act like URM status only matters in admissions and then everything it doesn't after that. If the questions being asked didn't matter then there wouldn't be any point for URMs in the first place.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Thu May 20, 2010 10:56 am

merichard87 wrote:Are these posters making silly comments actually URM? What is the point in making a post regarding a topic that doesn't even apply to you? And to the poster who put up the hair pic; You thought the question was silly because you most likely don't have to think about the issue of expressing your personality and cultural identity or being accepted in corporate america.

Yeah, because all white people in corporate america enjoy looking like waspy tennis players. Gimme a break. Also, I didn't realize non-URMs aren't allowed to be interested and curious about their co-workers experiences that may differ from their own.

OP, thanks for answering questions. How are the diversity committees organized at your firm and generally what role do they play in your firms professional and social life?

SportsFanatic

Postby SportsFanatic » Thu May 20, 2010 11:11 am

thanks for the insight OP.

As a URM what are some key aspects of a firm we should take into consideration when choosing where to start our career?

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:16 am

Pearalegal wrote:
merichard87 wrote:Are these posters making silly comments actually URM? What is the point in making a post regarding a topic that doesn't even apply to you? And to the poster who put up the hair pic; You thought the question was silly because you most likely don't have to think about the issue of expressing your personality and cultural identity or being accepted in corporate america.

Yeah, because all white people in corporate america enjoy looking like waspy tennis players. Gimme a break. Also, I didn't realize non-URMs aren't allowed to be interested and curious about their co-workers experiences that may differ from their own.

OP, thanks for answering questions. How are the diversity committees organized at your firm and generally what role do they play in your firms professional and social life?

Clearly your reading comprehension skills are at an all time low. I specifically spoke about SILLY comments. That had nothing to do with non-URM's being interested in this post. People make fun of things they don't understand and I was questioning whether the silly comments were coming from those who don't understand what its like to be a URM in corporate america.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu May 20, 2010 11:18 am

La Grind Date

Postby La Grind Date » Fri May 21, 2010 8:12 am

Thanks a lot, ElecEng_2_IPAtty! & thanks YCRevolution for setting these cats straight.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”