Any "fortunate" URM's

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby 20121109 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:50 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
hellokitty wrote:I guess I'd say I've been pretty fortunate...I don't want to delve too deep into the topic, but it had absolutely nothing to do with me being a URM and had more to do with life experiences. It was a sort of narrative that explained why I wanted to practice law, based on my own personal experiences. I'm pretty sure there was no mention of race or ethnicity it my PS at all.


I am another middle class URM. I also my DS for about life experience than about being discriminated against. On the one hand, I felt it was an accurate and honest piece of writing, and I was quite proud of the DS. On the other hand, I received absolutely no discernible boost for being a URM. My cycle went just like lawschoolpredictor would have said without the URM button clicked. Maybe even slightly worse, given the competitive cycle and all.


I don't wish to enter this into the debate going although it does say something to the points that many posters have made.


What kind of URM are you?

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby Flanker1067 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:52 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:
hellokitty wrote:I guess I'd say I've been pretty fortunate...I don't want to delve too deep into the topic, but it had absolutely nothing to do with me being a URM and had more to do with life experiences. It was a sort of narrative that explained why I wanted to practice law, based on my own personal experiences. I'm pretty sure there was no mention of race or ethnicity it my PS at all.


I am another middle class URM. I also my DS for about life experience than about being discriminated against. On the one hand, I felt it was an accurate and honest piece of writing, and I was quite proud of the DS. On the other hand, I received absolutely no discernible boost for being a URM. My cycle went just like lawschoolpredictor would have said without the URM button clicked. Maybe even slightly worse, given the competitive cycle and all.


I don't wish to enter this into the debate going although it does say something to the points that many posters have made.


What kind of URM are you?


Mex-Am

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby 20121109 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:54 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:
hellokitty wrote:I guess I'd say I've been pretty fortunate...I don't want to delve too deep into the topic, but it had absolutely nothing to do with me being a URM and had more to do with life experiences. It was a sort of narrative that explained why I wanted to practice law, based on my own personal experiences. I'm pretty sure there was no mention of race or ethnicity it my PS at all.


I am another middle class URM. I also my DS for about life experience than about being discriminated against. On the one hand, I felt it was an accurate and honest piece of writing, and I was quite proud of the DS. On the other hand, I received absolutely no discernible boost for being a URM. My cycle went just like lawschoolpredictor would have said without the URM button clicked. Maybe even slightly worse, given the competitive cycle and all.


I don't wish to enter this into the debate going although it does say something to the points that many posters have made.


What kind of URM are you?


Mex-Am


No discernible boost whatsoever? That's peculiar...you didn't have any red flags in your application, did you? Also, you did clearly identify as a Mexican-American on your apps, right?

Sorry, just a little confused, lol...

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 26, 2010 3:58 pm

..

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed May 26, 2010 4:00 pm

.
Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby Flanker1067 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Edit: In response to your questions Gaia:



1) No
2) I don't think so. No criminal history, one undergrad with no nonsense, one lsat score...
3)I checked the box and wrote a DS partially about it, however I made no false claims about racism in my past.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Wed May 26, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby 20121109 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:02 pm

YCrev...I wanna be a mod :oops:

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby d34d9823 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:05 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
3 Stripes wrote:GAIA, you are not the only one who is aware of romo's ineffective tactics. I hope other posters can see him for the illogical, unreasonable poster that he is.

RockChalk, regard;ess of the variety of social stati within the black community, you are failing to understand the very basic point that, in the eyes of the dominant, white society, blacks are still considered inferior and not as worthy as their white counterparts. Rich or poor, in white America, a [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.] is still a [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.]

Don't believe me, consider the OJ case and what that taught Americans across the board.

I take no issue with the bolded.

I do take issue with the bolded. Suggesting that most white people discriminate based on race just isn't true.

Growing up white, I heard racist comments, especially from older white people, but they were never mainstream and rarely accepted. It was never intimated to me that you should judge someone by their skin color and I grew up blissfully unaware that some people thought that it was OK to do so.

If you tell a racist joke in a room full of white people, welcome to social pariah status. Not because someone of color is there to complain, but because it's just not accepted.

So yeah, I'm not saying there's not racism out there, we all know there is. That said, stereotyping white society as systemically racist moves the discussion back, not forward.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby d34d9823 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:08 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:YCrev...I wanna be a mod :oops:

Me too, YC. Why does nightrunner get to be a mod? I bet you just picked him because of his URM status. :evil:

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed May 26, 2010 4:09 pm

.
Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote: Wealthy blacks still face just as much racism, but just in different, maybe less overt forms.

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:As we progress towards the higher levels of the socioeconomic strata, racism doesn't slowly become less rampant, it merely changes in form. It becomes more institutionalized, less obvious, but still very much present. Yes, the racism experienced by upper-class blacks may not be equal in the sense that they face the same kinds of racism of those in the lower-class, but the difference in the amount of racism (if its possible to quantify in this sense) is not substantial enough to conclude that my stance on the matter, or that of many other URMs who would concur with my view, is absurd.

I'm sorry if you find my word choice rather strong, but I stick by my claim that the first quote here is absurd due the inclusion of the bolded. I understand the difficulty with this sort of quantification, but keep in mind my assertion necessitates no specific formulation since "far from equal" is much more broad than "equal." I'd also like to add that perceived education level is a probable factor in the process, and many poor URMs are blatantly victimized by those who assume (often correctly) that they won't know their rights or avenues of recompense.

Sure it seems like apples to oranges, but it's really more like apples to rotten apples. Poor black people experience things much [b]worse than those experienced by wealthy black people, and more frequently. [/b]I don't see anyone with experience as both or well-read on the topic disagreeing with this statement.


Where do you fit in middle-class blacks? How about African Immigrants? No ask you what your economic status and then discerns how they will treat you. You are making a generalization.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:YCrev...I wanna be a mod :oops:

Me too, YC. Why does nightrunner get to be a mod? I bet you just picked him because of his URM status. :evil:


I was wondering when that sentiment was going to come out. VanWinkle is also a mod now. Diversity Appointments!

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby Flanker1067 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I am told that I was made a MOD out of recognition for my general f'n awesomeness.


That or the 11K+ posts you have. If by awesomeness you mean "large amount of time spent on TLS" then, yes.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby d34d9823 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:I think you're missing the forest for the trees. 3S's sentiment was that, in general, society considers white people superior to black people, not that each member is expressedly racist.


What you said (bolded) is not nearly as strong as what he said. With all respect, I don't even think what you said is true. Social interaction is complex, but alleging a group as a whole is racist when a large majority of that group is not seems suspect.

I certainly don't consider *choke* I can't even say it, it sounds so wrong. The vast majority of white people I've known don't share those sentiments either.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby Mattalones » Wed May 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I am told that I was made a MOD out of recognition for my general f'n awesomeness.

Is there a "general f'n awesomeness" box that I can check in my application for mod? If so, I'd love to be a mod. I think it is my calling 8)

User avatar
3 Stripes
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby 3 Stripes » Wed May 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:That said, stereotyping white society as systemically racist moves the discussion back, not forward.


I agree with this sentiment; I would also argue that this discussion has shown no signs of moving forward.


I think it's rather unfair to accuse me of stereotyping white America when the proof is in the pudding in regards to how the United States engages in practices with racist undertones in its systematic and institutional operations.

You can research bank practices, real estate market practices, corporate practices, etc. Racism in this day and age is not necessarily in your face but is ingrained in the culture under which various American bred institutions function.

This is no lie nor is it a stereotype.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby 20121109 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote: Wealthy blacks still face just as much racism, but just in different, maybe less overt forms.

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:As we progress towards the higher levels of the socioeconomic strata, racism doesn't slowly become less rampant, it merely changes in form. It becomes more institutionalized, less obvious, but still very much present. Yes, the racism experienced by upper-class blacks may not be equal in the sense that they face the same kinds of racism of those in the lower-class, but the difference in the amount of racism (if its possible to quantify in this sense) is not substantial enough to conclude that my stance on the matter, or that of many other URMs who would concur with my view, is absurd.

I'm sorry if you find my word choice rather strong, but I stick by my claim that the first quote here is absurd due the inclusion of the bolded. I understand the difficulty with this sort of quantification, but keep in mind my assertion necessitates no specific formulation since "far from equal" is much more broad than "equal." I'd also like to add that perceived education level is a probable factor in the process, and many poor URMs are blatantly victimized by those who assume (often correctly) that they won't know their rights or avenues of recompense.

Sure it seems like apples to oranges, but it's really more like apples to rotten apples. Poor black people experience things much worse than those experienced by wealthy black people, and more frequently. I don't see anyone with experience as both or well-read on the topic disagreeing with this statement.



I still disagree with your word choice, but it can't be helped. I think some of the things you put forth to further corroborate your point are starting to touch on that gray area wherein class and race become somewhat muddled. Perceived education is a valid point but I would have to say that the way poor URMs are victimized because they often have no clue as to how to remedy a discriminatory circumstance would speak more to the heightened effect of racism in their lives, rather than any added amount. Your point about poor black people experiencing things much worse than blacks more fortunate transcends the subset of race. I could also say, "Poor people experience things much worse than those experienced by wealthy people, and more frequently." The fact that you added a racial qualifier is a moot point.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby d34d9823 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:20 pm

3 Stripes wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:That said, stereotyping white society as systemically racist moves the discussion back, not forward.


I agree with this sentiment; I would also argue that this discussion has shown no signs of moving forward.


I think it's rather unfair to accuse me of stereotyping white America when the proof is in the pudding in regards to how the United States engages in practices with racist undertones in its systematic and institutional operations.

You can research bank practices, real estate market practices, corporate practices, etc. Racism in this day and age is not necessarily in your face but is ingrained in the culture under which various American bred institutions function.

This is no lie nor is it a stereotype.

[citation needed]

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed May 26, 2010 4:20 pm

.
Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:21 pm

I don't like how URM threads are so heavily Moderated. Whenever there is a gathering of minorities discussing issues, there has to be an authority present to keep the peace just like IRL.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby d34d9823 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:23 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:I don't like how URM threads are so heavily Moderated. Whenever there is a gathering of minorities discussing issues, there has to be an authority present to keep the peace just like IRL.

You would prefer the racist venom flow unabated? I can see both sides here.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:23 pm

.
Last edited by hiromoto45 on Wed May 26, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:24 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:I don't like how URM threads are so heavily Moderated. Whenever there is a gathering of minorities discussing issues, there has to be an authority present to keep the peace just like IRL.

You would prefer the racist venom flow unabated? I can see both sides here.


Well I believe that is what 3Stripes is speaking to. It may be hard for many to digest but that is a reality that many minorities live.

You can research bank practices, real estate market practices, corporate practices, etc. Racism in this day and age is not necessarily in your face but is ingrained in the culture under which various American bred institutions function.


I believe poorer minorities face this kind of discrimination more so than wealthier minorities as Rock Chalk advocates.
Last edited by hiromoto45 on Wed May 26, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby d34d9823 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:28 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:I don't like how URM threads are so heavily Moderated. Whenever there is a gathering of minorities discussing issues, there has to be an authority present to keep the peace just like IRL.

You would prefer the racist venom flow unabated? I can see both sides here.

Think of us as fire extinguishers.

And, at least today, the "authority" is also URM (and, for the record, has censored exactly no one).

That's not true, YC censored the guy who said the word I can't say 'cause I'm white. :wink:

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Any "fortunate" URM's

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:29 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:I don't like how URM threads are so heavily Moderated. Whenever there is a gathering of minorities discussing issues, there has to be an authority present to keep the peace just like IRL.

You would prefer the racist venom flow unabated? I can see both sides here.

Think of us as fire extinguishers.

And, at least today, the "authority" is also URM (and, for the record, has censored exactly no one).


It doesn't matter, just like the law, you are expected to be impartial. I'm just pointing out a fact. People must teeter on what they say so threads don't get locked.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests